Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your help with this decision, I'm looking to buy a pick up truck that to do errands, when cargo is need it, have some off road fun and once in a while from work to home, looking at the Tacoma TRD, Jeep Gladiator and Ford Raptor, I know is hard to involve the raptor into this mix, but from $45000 (tacoma trd pro) to $53000 (Raptor), financing $8000 more won't be an issue, neither gas consumption or parking, I'm located in Florida.

Thanks in advance

NOPE I'm not selling my Corolla?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,439 Posts
That decision for me would be easy since I'm a Toyota guy. After all of the Ford trucks we've had at work, I would never buy a Ford truck. What a nightmare every one of those has been. The Jepp is great for off-road as they all are but the reliability of Jeep as a whole has been poor.

·
straight cash homie
20,203 Posts
Ford Raptor if you can swing for it since it is one of the most bad ass trucks on the market today (Look great on Rays wheels too), or of course the Tacoma, but I know its engine isn't as good as the old one. Since this would be a weekend toy, shouldn't have to care much about MPG. With trucks, many of them hold their resales insanely well (Toyotas are no exception), even Jeeps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you're fine with spending the money, I'd go for the Tacoma. I would run away screaming from the Jeep; I'm amazed at how much they charge for those things while they continue to be so low-rent. It's so bad it almost seems like a scam.

If I were buying a truck right now, though, I'd go for the Nissan Frontier with the off-road package. Pro 4X I think it's called. And I know Nissan sucks now, but that's a proven design that's been around a good long time. Nice looking too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Find a gen 1 Tacoma with a 4cyl / 5spd.....I got one that is still kicking with 298,000 miles on it. Now finding a good rust free frame with lower miles....Well you might find the needle in the haystack first.

Brian

·
straight cash homie
20,203 Posts
If you're fine with spending the money, I'd go for the Tacoma. I would run away screaming from the Jeep; I'm amazed at how much they charge for those things while they continue to be so low-rent. It's so bad it almost seems like a scam.

If I were buying a truck right now, though, I'd go for the Nissan Frontier with the off-road package. Pro 4X I think it's called. And I know Nissan sucks now, but that's a proven design that's been around a good long time. Nice looking too.
Frontiers are more likely to be discounted as well, and they still are from the era before Renault took over (for better or worse). Its pretty old school as well, and isn't so pricey as a Tacoma.

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for your inputs, I'm still really undecided, Ford Raptors dealers still treating them like a special gem (Supra) some over MSRP, but I'm seeing more left overs on the lot and the 2020 are already here, the Tacoma TRD Pro has no negotiation whatsoever making the truck close to $50000 after taxes and dealers fees or even more, from the Jeeps the general input is lack of reliability but the Gladiator is not even a year to judge.

I'm definitely want new at this point in my life I deserve to pamper myself once in a while, the frontier I don't know about it that much but the experience my dad has with a Nissan Altima was awful so I don't know about reliability and also looks are important.

If my decision was only reliability the Honda Ridgline has been one of the most reliable pick ups so far but in this case I want something that looks good as well, The new engine of the Raptor was criticized in 2017 when they replaced the V8 for a V6 with some problems for the second gen in the year 2017, issue has been resolved now, so will see, I know they will be gnetle at the end of the year which we are about 2 months now.

I'll kepp you posted and thanks for all the inputs

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would never advise anybody to buy a newer Nissan car. Frontier is a different story because it's an older design that predates Nissan going to crap. The basic platform, engine and transmission are very sound. Whether they've cut corners on interior bits and stuff like that, I couldn't tell you.

I like the Ridgeline a lot. I like the Tacoma a lot too. It's just they're so expensive. But if you have the money, go for it.

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I jump to the Raptor as you guys know I was looking for a pick up truck, I bought the Raptor, this truck can't be compared to the Tacoma or the Gladiator is a different category fast, big and looks cool, I have to drive 3 hours to Brandon Ford because of the price, in order to close the month they really went overboard.

Thanks to all of you guys with your opinions regarding the pick up.

·
straight cash homie
20,203 Posts
Well, I jump to the Raptor as you guys know I was looking for a pick up truck, I bought the Raptor, this truck can't be compared to the Tacoma or the Gladiator is a different category fast, big and looks cool, I have to drive 3 hours to Brandon Ford because of the price, in order to close the month they really went overboard.

Thanks to all of you guys with your opinions regarding the pick up.

View attachment 285698 View attachment 285699
Great choice...Raptors hold their values really well much like Toyota trucks. Is that Velocity Blue? Color is cool as well.

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great choice...Raptors hold their values really well much like Toyota trucks. Is that Velocity Blue? Color is cool as well.
Yes the velocity blue, almost match my Corolla !!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts