Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1150 Posts

·
Doug
12 Posts
How well does the 2014 corolla performs in snow conditions. It is a serious question. Is gonna be my first winter with this car, my previous car had 4WD, I just want to get some impresions from people who may have hit the icy roads already.

·
Spock-a-like
426 Posts
I don't live in a cold cimate but I learned to drive in minot, North Dakota so I think it's safe to say I know how to drive in the winter.

That being said...there are 2 reasons why these Corollas shouldn't have any issues on the ice if you baby the gas and brakes: 1.) they're FWD & 2.) they're not zippy from 0 to 40 and I've tried to get mine (a 2015 S Plus) to break the tires loose and wasn't able to even with the traction control off so I think you're fine as long as you aren't speeding or anything. I don't think you'll have any reason to be worried. Now, tires may be an issue but idk what model you're getting so tires vary from model to model.

·
3,244 Posts

·
10th Gen Addict
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Just bumped into this eBay post:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321531004785

Great price if you ask me but why would anybody buy the car just to remove the airbags and then sell it for so low? Sketchy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
To be honest, if that were a CE or an L with a 6 speed and I could get it to Canada, I would try and go for it. If not, I'd buy one from here and fix the damage:http://erepairables.com/salvage-cars-auction/toyota/corolla

·
10th Gen Addict
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So something very sad has happened in the past week...:( So my uncle was driving his 2001 Honda Odyessy on the highway at around midnight and then all of a sudden, he said that all of the lights started to flash and one by one, each light failed(interior and exterior)! So, he was pretty much driving on the highway in pitch black.(He said that he couldn't see his own hand!) He could have stopped on the highway but none of his lights worked so someone could have hit him. Luckily, there was an 18 wheeler in front of him so he followed that and got to the exit of the highway and he made it to a gas station.

He called for a tow truck to tow him back home and it turned out the alternator failed which caused the battery to not charge. The repair is $1,000+ and considering he bought the van for only $1,300, he isn't going to repair it. Now it has just been sitting in the driveway for the past week and my uncle needs a new work van.:( I feel bad for him...

You can even see the tears run down on the van!

·
10th Gen Addict
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
An alternator repair job is $1K? Wow, must be a super quick mechanic.
This should work:
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/how-to-replace-honda-odyssey-alternator.html

Plus an alternator is less than $100. A brand new battery is also $100. All he would need is 3-4 hours, some elbow grease, wrenches, an alternator, and a new battery.
Apparently it is more than the alternator that went bad. I'm pretty a lot of fuses were blown as well as something else that I can't remember off the top of my head. And to add on to this, the transmission is going to give out soon too but that is a common problem with these Odyessy's so there's that...However, I overheard my uncle talking about fixing the van though...

As for a new van, how does this one look?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/kingston-on/2002-pontiac-montana-minivan-van-as-is/1016745556?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

·
3,244 Posts
Apparently it is more than the alternator that went bad. I'm pretty a lot of fuses were blown as well as something else that I can't remember off the top of my head. And to add on to this, the transmission is going to give out soon too but that is a common problem with these Odyessy's so there's that...However, I overheard my uncle talking about fixing the van though...

As for a new van, how does this one look?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/kingston-on/2002-pontiac-montana-minivan-van-as-is/1016745556?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Pontiac is out of business so sooner or later the parts for it would become scarce AND expensive.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That is true but he will probably drive the van until something breaks and then replace it with a better van(he doesn't have a big budget for a new van at the moment...). Also, before he bought the Honda a year ago, he had a Chevy Venture which is the same as the Pontiac and it lasted from '04 till '13 so he already knows the van inside and out.

I'd rather want him to get a Toyota Sienna but they are all so expensive in my area!

·
3,244 Posts
That is true but he will probably drive the van until something breaks and then replace it with a better van(he doesn't have a big budget for a new van at the moment...). Also, before he bought the Honda a year ago, he had a Chevy Venture which is the same as the Pontiac and it lasted from '04 till '13 so he already knows the van inside and out.

I'd rather want him to get a Toyota Sienna but they are all so expensive in my area!
Seems like you have it under control. Some cars are good some are not. Its a shame that such expensive things can break so easily.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
damn, what happened? Sold for scrap?
Not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure he's repairing it. I came home and when I entered my neighborhood, that's what I saw. I also think that he could be dropping it at a salvage yard but since it's a CAA tow truck, I'm pretty sure it's going to a garage.

41 - 60 of 1150 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
103 Participants
got-rice
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing