Toyota Nation Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1150 Posts

·
Maaaaaaaad
571 Posts
Did you correct your mistake and get a MT this time? I love my 09 Corolla S 5MT now with 230HP from the turbo kit! It flat out moves!

I've always like the GTI and the clean lines of it. What worries me is the lack of long term reliability and the many owners that deal with electrical issues down the road. Good luck!
I got the 6 speed DSG. Still fun and the shifts are still nice and quick. My Fiancé wanted the auto and the deal was too good to pass up. Overall a good compromise. It serves my purposes quite well! I'm hoping for the best on the reliability part. Doing anything I can in preventative maintenance for this car. Will miss the bulletproof nature of toyota but I think that life is too short to drive a boring car.

The thing I love the most is the torque from the engine. It's just immediate and down low. I've never had anything with forced induction, and it is a completely different animal from what I am used to.

Toyota needs to up their game and make a hot Corolla IM. I would have heavily considered it!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
I got the 6 speed DSG. Still fun and the shifts are still nice and quick. My Fiancé wanted the auto and the deal was too good to pass up. Overall a good compromise. It serves my purposes quite well! I'm hoping for the best on the reliability part. Doing anything I can in preventative maintenance for this car. Will miss the bulletproof nature of toyota but I think that life is too short to drive a boring car.

The thing I love the most is the torque from the engine. It's just immediate and down low. I've never had anything with forced induction, and it is a completely different animal from what I am used to.

Toyota needs to up their game and make a hot Corolla IM. I would have heavily considered it!
I love the iM too. Such a great looking hatch. If it had the power I have now in my Corolla in the iM it would be amazing. I know what you mean by the power. The low end pull from the turbo is amazing. I also love the fact that I have a car that few others have! :grin:

·
I Got Lei'd
49 Posts
What a bummer. I want a sliding armrest in my 2015 just like my 2011 S had. I asked my friend who had a top spec 2015 2.0L Altis if his armrest slide but his armrest don't slide as well. :frown:

Well, I might do the bootless shift knob mod they have. I kinda don't like our shift knob that have a shift boot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can anyone with a 6-speed manual transmission tell me what the RPM's are at 60 mph and 70 mph? I can't seem to get anyone to respond to this question even with PM's. Thanks.

Crickets..............????

Really??, Nobody can answer this for me that owns a 6-speed manual??
2017 SE/M owner here. The problem with this question is driver/terrain variability and your lack of specificity. Also, you didn't specify a gear. I've done 116 mph in 6th @ 4.5-5k rpm and 116 mph in 5th at 5.5-6k rpm (it seems the car is speed-limited). I've done 60 mph in gears 3-6. Assuming you meant 6th, 60 mph accelerating? How hard? On flat ground or downhill? Or uphill? With or without drag (roof rack installed)? 1/4 tank of gas or full tank (that's a 76lb difference)? What about passengers?

Although I admit some of these are far-fetched, my general observation has been this:
For most gears (except 1 and sometimes 2), the RPM sits at roughly 2k on the 10x multiple of the gear. For example:
2nd: 20mph @ 2000 rpm
3rd: 30mph @ 2000 rpm
4th: 40mph @ 2000 rpm
5th: 50mph @ 2000 rpm
6th: 60mph @ 2000 rpm

Once you start shifting down for more power it gets a little hazier but for the middle gears (3-5) I've generally found that doubling the speed will double the rpm (80mph in 4th = 4k rpm). I almost never downshift to 2nd because it's a little higher than the others. Or maybe it just feels higher, I don't know.

Hope this helps. I know the wording was a bit confusing. Also I'm now tempted to record a video of normal shifting with a view of the speedometer/tachometer (within legal speeds of course).

Cheers.

Edit: and I never downshift to first, unless the car is at a complete stop/below 10mph. Should be obvious but wanted to clarify.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
2017 SE/M owner here. The problem with this question is driver/terrain variability and your lack of specificity. Also, you didn't specify a gear. I've done 116 mph in 6th @ 4.5-5k rpm and 116 mph in 5th at 5.5-6k rpm (it seems the car is speed-limited). I've done 60 mph in gears 3-6. Assuming you meant 6th, 60 mph accelerating? How hard? On flat ground or downhill? Or uphill? With or without drag (roof rack installed)? 1/4 tank of gas or full tank (that's a 76lb difference)? What about passengers?

Although I admit some of these are far-fetched, my general observation has been this:
For most gears (except 1 and sometimes 2), the RPM sits at roughly 2k on the 10x multiple of the gear. For example:
2nd: 20mph @ 2000 rpm
3rd: 30mph @ 2000 rpm
4th: 40mph @ 2000 rpm
5th: 50mph @ 2000 rpm
6th: 60mph @ 2000 rpm

Once you start shifting down for more power it gets a little hazier but for the middle gears (3-5) I've generally found that doubling the speed will double the rpm (80mph in 4th = 4k rpm). I almost never downshift to 2nd because it's a little higher than the others. Or maybe it just feels higher, I don't know.

Hope this helps. I know the wording was a bit confusing. Also I'm now tempted to record a video of normal shifting with a view of the speedometer/tachometer (within legal speeds of course).

Cheers.

Edit: and I never downshift to first, unless the car is at a complete stop/below 10mph. Should be obvious but wanted to clarify.
You are reading way too much into my question. Most of the time the answer is always the simplest and is true in this case too. I understand all that you are saying but I was interested in what the RPM's were at 70 mph, I figured that the top gear was obvious since I was trying to compare the difference in my 09 Corolla S with a 5-speed and the new 6-speed manual in the 11th gen Corolla/iM at highway cruising speed. I would be in 6th gear on most terrain unless I was pulling a steep hill.

No worries now as I just bought a new 2017 Corolla iM 6MT to add to my collection. :grin:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
My welcome to the family pics for my iM along with my MR2 an Corolla S Turbo.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
Has anyone replaced the halogen lamps in their headlights on their 2017 Toyota IM?
The stock ones seem to suck. I know nothing about headlights. Are they one in the same or a special part?

Thanks
I haven't driven my new iM at night yet. I'm surprised that they would be poor though as my wife's 2010 Prius has halogen projectors and the night vision is excellent. I've thought about installing LED bulbs in that and may do the same on my iM. I have them in my 95 Previa and I love them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So it turns out you no longer need the info, but I had the pics and in case anyone else was curious; it's about 2500 rpm in 6th @70mph and 2000 rpm in 6th @60mph (2017 SE/M). I did have the roof rack installed and I find that I lose 2-4 mpg with it on, not sure how that amount of drag would contribute to rpm but I'm willing to bet it's negligible.

http://imgur.com/a/Zrb0a

Edit: fixed image link.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,129

·
10th Gen Addict
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,135
At that point it's not even a corolla...
Well, what do you define as a Corolla? If you define a Corolla by saying it's "a slow car", then even putting a turbo kit on a normal Corolla would mean it's "not a Corolla" if you go by that definition. As far as the body of that Corolla Hatch goes, other than the sections of the frame in front of the front shock towers and behind the rear shock towers, the majority of the frame is still original. The floor I'm pretty sure is modified and is not a whole custom floorpan. The exterior body panels look the same as the Corolla Hatch just with a wide body bodykit on it. The suspension is obviously modified much like any other race car. The engine is a Toyota 2AR so it's still a 4 cylinder as well. So to me, it is an RWD converted Corolla Hatch.

·
Token Aussie
1,736 Posts
Well, what do you define as a Corolla? If you define a Corolla by saying it's "a slow car", then even putting a turbo kit on a normal Corolla would mean it's "not a Corolla" if you go by that definition. As far as the body of that Corolla Hatch goes, other than the sections of the frame in front of the front shock towers and behind the rear shock towers, the majority of the frame is still original. The floor I'm pretty sure is modified and is not a whole custom floorpan. The exterior body panels look the same as the Corolla Hatch just with a wide body bodykit on it. The suspension is obviously modified much like any other race car. The engine is a Toyota 2AR so it's still a 4 cylinder as well. So to me, it is an RWD converted Corolla Hatch.
Axle-line to axle-line it retains most of the factory chassis (tunnel obviously cut and shut and the odd carbon-fibre panel), but the fact that it's a Toyota 4-cylinder engine is about the only thing remotely similar to the stock car - the entire drivetrain is completely different, all of the suspension and steering is 100% custom (and in a lot of cases bespoke) with only a handful of the factory pickup points on the frame re-used (and that is only due to restrictions in the regulations).

Really it comes down to what you define the "soul" of a car to be. This thing is one tube-frame away from being a Pro Stock/Sport Compact car.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,137
Axle-line to axle-line it retains most of the factory chassis (tunnel obviously cut and shut and the odd carbon-fibre panel), but the fact that it's a Toyota 4-cylinder engine is about the only thing remotely similar to the stock car - the entire drivetrain is completely different, all of the suspension and steering is 100% custom (and in a lot of cases bespoke) with only a handful of the factory pickup points on the frame re-used (and that is only due to restrictions in the regulations).

Really it comes down to what you define the "soul" of a car to be. This thing is one tube-frame away from being a Pro Stock/Sport Compact car.
It really just depends on perspective. As long as it still retains most of the stock frame and the exterior of the car still resembles a Corolla, it's hard not to at least call it a Corolla-based car in my opinion. It's the same with any other car. For instance, if they had chosen to use a Toyota 86 as an FD spec drift car, they would be doing similar things that they did here with this car; drivetrain wise (using a dogbox or some sort of another racing transmission), suspension wise (using custom and/or aftermarket suspension), engine wise (most 86's in FD have engine swaps in them which are custom done), chassis wise (putting a full cage in, using lighter body panels, stiffening the chassis), etc. So with a car that has so much work done to it, is it still considered an 86? I think so and that's the same way I think of the Hatch. The main difference with the Hatch is that they had to convert it to RWD.

·
3,245 Posts
Sorry I havent been on in a bit but I have been looking for a toy to play with...and after many craigslist disappointments...I think I have found it...a 1983 Datsun 280zx for $1,800....tell me what your thoughts are.

Attachments

·
10th Gen Addict
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,140
Some good news for the Supra came out today. First is that the long rumored Toyota Supra Nascar was officially released:

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-xs/news/toyota-supra-to-replace-camry-nascar-xfinity-series-1056388/
Looks good and to add, they are keeping the Camry Nascar as well so the 2019 Toyota Nascar lineup will be the Camry, Supra, and the Tundra.

Then, Toyota Europe posted on their Twitter that a Supra reveal will be happening at the Goodwood Festival of Speed next week:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/05/toyota-supra-goodwood-teaser-production/

I'm excited to see if this really is the official Supra reveal! It was previously said that the official reveal would happen in 2019 when the Gazoo Racing Concept was revealed so this is a surprise.

1121 - 1140 of 1150 Posts