Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,447 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,447 Posts
Anyone running OE wheels from other makes?

I'm looking for a set of 10th gen XRS, CT200h, or Prius Persona take-offs, but would like to open up other options. I'm thinking there's at least two sets of VW wheels out there that would look nice on the 'Rolla. Not lowering this car because it's my mom's and don't like aftermarket wheels on cars with 4x4 wheel gap.
You can tastefully lower it on TRD or Eibach springs. Lowering it doesn't mean that you have to slam it. By doing it right it only looks the way it should have from the factory. Maybe Toyota finally is figuring it out as the new 2018 Camry looks great and sits like it should with much less wheel/fender gap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can tastefully lower it on TRD or Eibach springs. Lowering it doesn't mean that you have to slam it. By doing it right it only looks the way it should have from the factory. Maybe Toyota finally is figuring it out as the new 2018 Camry looks great and sits like it should with much less wheel/fender gap.
Thanks for the suggestion. Believe me, it's well understood and has been pondered. I've lowered pretty much every car I've owned, and some more than others, but I'm not interested in doing any suspension work to my mom's car other than maintenance. If it were mine I'd have installed springs within a month of owning it given the ride height.

I'm looking into wheels as it will need tires within the next year or so, and I figure it makes sense to get a set of take-offs with good tires because a +1 to 17" would freshen it up a bit. Honestly, I would probably be doing the same even if it came with the 17"s because IMO those actually look worse than the 16" LE hubcaps. And now would be the time to start keeping an eye out so I can jump on a deal before the tires become a safety issue.

Here's a nice resource I wasn't aware of. The selection is pretty sparse, but at least lucked out with the smallest hub bore.

http://www.wheelsupport.com/list-of-bolt-pattern-5-x-100/

And here's a thread on VW Vortex that relates to the question - interesting to browse at the very least. There are some odd combos in there that surprisingly work extremely well.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2346303-Inspired-examples-of-OEM-wheels-on-the-wrong-car!/page79

·
Registered
8 Posts
18x8 with +38 offset will fit, correct? I have a pair of 10mm spacers, 15mm spacers, and 20mm spacers. Should I do 10 in the front and 15 in the back?

what size tires would be ideal?
The 18x8 with+38 offset should fit nicely. I have 17x7.5 with +38 offset and it could go out a bit more without any problem. So, I would think the 18x8 would fit even better. Not too sure about the spacers. I'm assuming you want it flush with the fenders that's why you're considering spacers? I think there's a couple of different schools of thought regarding spacers so will leave it to the more experienced folks to help you with it.

·
Registered
2014 Corolla LE Plus
538 Posts
Like the design of the wheel but not in chrome. And that chrome makes it so heavy. :frown:
I agree. I plan to get these in the gunmetal color they come in to replace my steelies. I regret selling my stock LE alloys but I had no space for them at the time. :frown:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello wheel folks, seeking yall's council on my wheel purchase.

11th gen corolla on 11th gen eibach springs...fairly certain i prefer the 17 inch wheel because i like sidewall.

Not looking to get too aggressive but rather fill up the wheel gap as much as possible while adding width to tires. Not wishing to roll the fenders (unless i cannot get around it, or you guys really recommend it)

Initially i was looking at 9 inch with -30, BUT from what I've gathered, the 8 inch should do it--is this true? what offset will deliver the look i'm trying to obtain? -30 or -20?

Like i said i enjoy sidewall and a wider tire....if i was on a 8 inch wheel, would a 235 be too much ? what about a 235/40-45? or would that just be silly to go with versus a 225/45 or even 50? I'm not wanting to dwarf my wheels i just want a nice meaty tire that looks good and provides a comfortable ride versus a very low profile tire (don't like that look). I want the tires width to extend over the wheel also to protect the wheel from curbrash without looking silly.

Finally, If i did select 17x9 -30 would i have issues with a lets say 235/40-45?? Or would the front wheel stick out quite a bit and defeat the flushy look.

I know that is a lot of information. Thank you all for any insight you can provide, i appreciate it.

(REFERENCE PHOTO)

·
Registered
2014 Corolla LE Plus
538 Posts

11th gen corolla on 11th gen eibach springs...fairly certain i prefer the 17 inch wheel because i like sidewall.

Not looking to get too aggressive but rather fill up the wheel gap as much as possible while adding width to tires. Not wishing to roll the fenders (unless i cannot get around it, or you guys really recommend it)

Initially i was looking at 9 inch with -30, BUT from what I've gathered, the 8 inch should do it--is this true? what offset will deliver the look i'm trying to obtain? -30 or -20?

Like i said i enjoy sidewall and a wider tire....if i was on a 8 inch wheel, would a 235 be too much ? what about a 235/40-45? or would that just be silly to go with versus a 225/45 or even 50? I'm not wanting to dwarf my wheels i just want a nice meaty tire that looks good and provides a comfortable ride versus a very low profile tire (don't like that look). I want the tires width to extend over the wheel also to protect the wheel from curbrash without looking silly.

Finally, If i did select 17x9 -30 would i have issues with a lets say 235/40-45?? Or would the front wheel stick out quite a bit and defeat the flushy look.

I know that is a lot of information. Thank you all for any insight you can provide, i appreciate it.

(REFERENCE PHOTO)
With Eibach springs I don't think you'll need to roll your fenders. As for offset, you mean +30 not -30. The lower the offset is, the more the barrel of the wheel will protrude. The higher the offset the more the barrel of the wheel will go toward the inside of the car.

I can't say what tire size would be perfect for the fitment you're going for BUT here are pics of my car on 17x9 +30 on air suspension with 215/40 tires. No camber upfront but -4.5 at the rear with rolled fenders. I had pics on the first page but ever since Photobucket had their tantrum it's unavailable now. Hopefully this helps you somewhat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you.

The front looks great with 9inch 0 camber. Doesn't seem to protrude much if at all. So i can go 9 inch +30** it looks like?

With new wheels and tires it will be time for alignment. Do you recommend i pick up camber bolts and shims prior to visiting alignment shop? Looking to maintain factory camber

·
Registered
2014 Corolla LE Plus
538 Posts
Thank you.

The front looks great with 9inch 0 camber. Doesn't seem to protrude much if at all. So i can go 9 inch +30** it looks like?

With new wheels and tires it will be time for alignment. Do you recommend i pick up camber bolts and shims prior to visiting alignment shop? Looking to maintain factory camber
Yes, the wheels don't protrude and you're ride height is still high enough where you shouldn't need to roll your fenders. When I lowered my Corolla on Eibach springs, the alignment shop I went to didn't have any problems aligning the front. The rear shouldn't need to be adjusted at all, if it does it is a pricy job. Even with rear camber, my rear tires have a lot of tread after a year of daily driving and currently they are stretched on my 17x10 wheels. I'm honestly surprised with how much tread I have still.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first reaction was that it was ugly but honestly dude the more I look at it the more I like your setup. I'm not sure if you're going for the rally-car look but that's the vibe I'm getting, and I like it. Reminds me of what the first stages of an off-road build would look like. Maybe one day you'll be the TRD version of this Nismo guy:

https://a.d-cd.net/4668756s-960.jpg

·
Registered
2014 Corolla
334 Posts
My first reaction was that it was ugly but honestly dude the more I look at it the more I like your setup. I'm not sure if you're going for the rally-car look but that's the vibe I'm getting, and I like it. Reminds me of what the first stages of an off-road build would look like. Maybe one day you'll be the TRD version of this Nismo guy:

https://a.d-cd.net/4668756s-960.jpg
Honestly, I didn't think the BFGs would be that chunky. I was supposed to go from a 205 /55 R16 to a 215 /55 R16. They didn't make the BFGs in that size. It's a good thing I went with these instead of the Falken Pro G4 A/S tires.
I didn't want to go for 17s with low profile tires. I have it on lowering springs, and my daily route is not comfortable. I decided that the car needed the sidewall to help mitigate some impact. It actually rides much better than stock now. And the car doesn't act like a bouncy house. Oh yeah, and compared to Enkei RPF1s[$211 each @ Tire Rack], these were only $126 each.
Downsides: The wheels are heavier than my steelies. The BFGs are really sticky too, my fuel economy went down 3MPG. The car also feels even less powerful from the unsprung weight and extra traction. People won't stop trying to race me, as if putting wheels on added horsepower.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla S Plus.
53 Posts
Finally! The Crapstones on my '15 S are biting the dust @ 32K miles. I've been a good steward of my hard-earned money and resisted replacing the tires practically every mile of that 32K. I and my occasional passenger suffered terribly with the general road noise and the wop-wop-wop-wop noise from the uneven wear (yes, I rotated every 5K and the alignment is good). At least the they stayed in balance.

I ordered four new Continental Truecontact Tires, stock size of 215/45R17 and they'll be here tomorrow. Wheels get re-skinned the next day. I can't wait! I'll post photos of my stone-stock Rolla afterwards.

Peace out.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,447 Posts
Finally! The Crapstones on my '15 S are biting the dust @ 32K miles. I've been a good steward of my hard-earned money and resisted replacing the tires practically every mile of that 32K. I and my occasional passenger suffered terribly with the general road noise and the wop-wop-wop-wop noise from the uneven wear (yes, I rotated every 5K and the alignment is good). At least the they stayed in balance.

I ordered four new Continental Truecontact Tires, stock size of 215/45R17 and they'll be here tomorrow. Wheels get re-skinned the next day. I can't wait! I'll post photos of my stone-stock Rolla afterwards.

Peace out.
You should see if they will swap them for 225/45R17 instead. It fits better and is the same diameter as the OEM 15" and 16" tires. I'm not sure why Toyota puts one size too small on the Corolla sedan. On the iM they do install the proper 225/45R17 size.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,447 Posts

(REFERENCE PHOTO)
If you want the tire to be wider then the wheel for wheel protection you could put on 245/40R17 tires on 17x8 wheels. A +30 offset should look excellent.

·
Registered
2015 Corolla S Plus.
53 Posts
You should see if they will swap them for 225/45R17 instead. It fits better and is the same diameter as the OEM 15" and 16" tires. I'm not sure why Toyota puts one size too small on the Corolla sedan. On the iM they do install the proper 225/45R17 size.
Interesting that too-small tires result in a speedo error the opposite one would expect from too-small tires. When my speedo reads 55 on the stock Crapstones, I'm doing 51, etc as recorded by the traffic radar robots at the school on my way to work. Not that I mind my odometer reading fewer miles than actually traveled >:D Almost makes it worth getting the slightly more circumferency tires.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,447 Posts
Interesting that too-small tires result in a speedo error the opposite one would expect from too-small tires. When my speedo reads 55 on the stock Crapstones, I'm doing 51, etc as recorded by the traffic radar robots at the school on my way to work. Not that I mind my odometer reading fewer miles than actually traveled >:D Almost makes it worth getting the slightly more circumferency tires.
Have you checked it with a GPS too? That seems like a large difference for the speed error. On my 2009 Corolla S it was reading 62 when I was going 60 and after getting the proper diameter 225/45R17 tires it was right on. It's also been pointed out that the speedometer and odometer are calculated separately so check your odometer with mile post markers. :wink:

·
Registered
2015 Corolla S Plus.
53 Posts
Have you checked it with a GPS too? That seems like a large difference for the speed error. On my 2009 Corolla S it was reading 62 when I was going 60 and after getting the proper diameter 225/45R17 tires it was right on. It's also been pointed out that the speedometer and odometer are calculated separately so check your odometer with mile post markers. :wink:
Will do - Thanks! Here is a photo of my new skins right after installation -

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Corolla S Plus.
53 Posts
I just returned from a road trip where I had an opportunity to check my speed with GPS on my new stock-spec skins. When the speedo read 50, GPS read 48; when speedo read 60, GPS read 57; when speedo read 70, GPS read 67. I expected the difference to increase if anything because of the new tires having ever so slightly a larger circumference but it seems to have decreased a tad. The difference is a good buffer of error against police radar so I'll count my blessings.

:thanks:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,447 Posts
I'm going to use my OEM wheels for my winter tires since they are 7" wide. I'm starting to look at wheels for my 3 season tires and curious of what you guys think of some of these.

Enkei PF07

Enkei Draco

Enkei TM7

Enkei PW10

Enkei TS10

Sport Tuning ST3

Sport Tuning ST1

Sport Tuning ST4

41 - 60 of 123 Posts