Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm going to use my OEM wheels for my winter tires since they are 7" wide. I'm starting to look at wheels for my 3 season tires and curious of what you guys think of some of these.

Enkei TS10
Winner-winner, banana dinner!
I don't like directional spoke wheels. It's either this or the Enkei RPF1, but everyone runs the RPF1, so I sort of understand you wanting something a bit more unique.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
Winner-winner, banana dinner!
I don't like directional spoke wheels. It's either this or the Enkei RPF1, but everyone runs the RPF1, so I sort of understand you wanting something a bit more unique.
I'm not a fan of the RPF1. It has short spokes that make it look smaller then it it. And on top of that most sizes don't come with center caps so it just looks unfinished. I have a set of Enkei PF01 from my 2009 Corolla S but I didn't realize that my Corolla iM had a 5x114.3 bolt pattern and not the 5x100 so a new set of wheels it is! I don't mind directional spokes but it depends on how it speaks to me.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
For anyone wanting to buy a turbo kit form Turbokits they are having a Black Friday sale so this could be a good time to get your kit!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
For anyone wanting to buy a turbo kit form Turbokits they are having a Black Friday sale so this could be a good time to get your kit!
UGH. I would if I didn't sink all my money into starting a business....

·
Registered
25 Posts
So 18x9 +30 should be fine then? I'm on the fence about 18s or 19s. But after seeing yours sitting on 17x9s, I'm impressed. I always felt like I would need to go bigger when I see people sitting on 18s.
Side note, did you wrap or spray your tailights? I purchased red vht but I'm on the fence about it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
So 18x9 +30 should be fine then? I'm on the fence about 18s or 19s. But after seeing yours sitting on 17x9s, I'm impressed. I always felt like I would need to go bigger when I see people sitting on 18s.
Side note, did you wrap or spray your tailights? I purchased red vht but I'm on the fence about it.
I used VHT for my tail lights.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting that too-small tires result in a speedo error the opposite one would expect from too-small tires. When my speedo reads 55 on the stock Crapstones, I'm doing 51, etc as recorded by the traffic radar robots at the school on my way to work. Not that I mind my odometer reading fewer miles than actually traveled >:D Almost makes it worth getting the slightly more circumferency tires.

Won't it be the opposite? I mean, with smaller tires, your car is showing more speed than you are actually going at, which in turn means that it will clock more miles on the odometer than you actually travel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you checked it with a GPS too? That seems like a large difference for the speed error. On my 2009 Corolla S it was reading 62 when I was going 60 and after getting the proper diameter 225/45R17 tires it was right on. It's also been pointed out that the speedometer and odometer are calculated separately so check your odometer with mile post markers. :wink:
I had a discussion with a Toyota dealership technician regarding tire sizes, and the topic of speedometer and odometer inaccuracies popped up. I asked him if both the speedometer and the odometer work by counting the wheel rotations, and if the incoming data to the both is the same. He told me that it is correct. If that is the case, I think the odometer error should be proportional to the speedometer error.

Or maybe I am wrong.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
I had a discussion with a Toyota dealership technician regarding tire sizes, and the topic of speedometer and odometer inaccuracies popped up. I asked him if both the speedometer and the odometer work by counting the wheel rotations, and if the incoming data to the both is the same. He told me that it is correct. If that is the case, I think the odometer error should be proportional to the speedometer error.

Or maybe I am wrong.
I'm not sure how it's done now. I always thought it was like that too. Others have said that it's calculated separately. I'm not sure which is correct. I know that my speedometer is dead on now but my odometer is off by 2% according to GPS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
so im picking up my 14 corolla L tomorrow and the wheels are...well horrible. i want to go with xxr 557s in 18x8.5 +35 but dont know what tire size i should go with. its factory height right now and might get some lowering springs in the future. i HATE stretched looks so i was thinking 245x40x18 or 235. anyone running this setup?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
so im picking up my 14 corolla L tomorrow and the wheels are...well horrible. i want to go with xxr 557s in 18x8.5 +35 but dont know what tire size i should go with. its factory height right now and might get some lowering springs in the future. i HATE stretched looks so i was thinking 245x40x18 or 235. anyone running this setup?[/QUOTE

The proper diameter would be 225/40R18 or a 255/35R18. If you want to go slightly bigger then the 235/40R18 is a little bigger with a 25.4" diameter. The proper diameter is 25.0" of the first 2 sizes I listed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
so im picking up my 14 corolla L tomorrow and the wheels are...well horrible. i want to go with xxr 557s in 18x8.5 +35 but dont know what tire size i should go with. its factory height right now and might get some lowering springs in the future. i HATE stretched looks so i was thinking 245x40x18 or 235. anyone running this setup?
I dunno man, I find it hard to justify getting 18 inch wheels on a Corolla if you're not going to up the size of the brakes[usually the primary reason large wheels are put on high performance cars]. And you don't need to up the size of the brakes, if you aren't going past the 250 horsepower mark, or going past 140 miles an hour[which, unless you can mod parameters in the ecu, isn't possible at the moment, and the transmission doesn't mechanically allow due to gear ratios].

But if you really want it:
The proper diameter would be 225/40R18 or a 255/35R18. If you want to go slightly bigger then the 235/40R18 is a little bigger with a 25.4" diameter. The proper diameter is 25.0" of the first 2 sizes I listed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yea i dont want that. i meant to say the +35s i have heard +30 is more or less the perfect setup if im not mistaken?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,311 Posts
ok. going 17x8.25 +25 with a 245x40x17 hows that sound? going to run the xxr 527 with hankook ventus v12 evo 2's
The 245/40R17 size will work great with those wheels. I knew of one other guy that had the exact wheel size and they were as flush as you could want. If you go too low you may rub but if you stick with the +35 that you mentioned you should be alright. He was on TRD springs so he had no rubbing issues.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts