Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone know the maintenance schedule for these items? that'd be very helpful since the only online one that I've found seems to have been taken from a text file and isn't properly formatted. I have the 1999 but I suppose they'll only differ from gen to gen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The valvoline MAX LIFE ATF has 2 types one which says (75,000 dex merc) and one that is full synthetic (dex merc LV) which one I should use for both transmission and power steering? doesnt max life means high mileage? is LV compatible to dexron iii any feedback would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
14,538 Posts
The valvoline MAX LIFE ATF has 2 types one which says (75,000 dex merc) and one that is full synthetic (dex merc LV) which one I should use for both transmission and power steering? doesnt max life means high mileage? is LV compatible to dexron iii any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Same fluid/compatibility, different bottles.

The bottle that says "75000" is the older bottle and shouldn't be common. The newer bottle says Dex/Merc Mercon LV. I have used both extensively in power steering and transmissions. I can't find the older bottles anymore as they have all been replaced with the newer bottles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, what is the recommendation for drive/serpentine belts (power steering, alternator, air compressor)? There are so many brands, don't know how to choose...

·
2000 Camry
67 Posts
Good thread.

Also, a group 24F battery is the exact same height and depth, just a little longer. MUCH more powerful! Was the same price for me and it fit like a glove. A larger battery should technically last a little longer. If you want pictures let me know.

Also, the specs for the K&N oil filter is out of date. They're made in Mexico and Korea now and are 85% efficient at 20 microns.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Coolant brings about more arguments than any fluid except maybe motor oil. The only real requirement is that the coolant be a P-HOAT (Phosphated Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) coolant that does not contain 2EHA (Dexcool or Dexclones) said:
I am little confused. It looks like the DexCool is not recommended by you but according to Toyota manual you can use any Glycol based coolant and DexCool is Glycol based. I am currently running my 99 Camry on red DexCool as it was at good price at Walmart, should I flush the radiator and change to something else? Thanks for advise

·
Super Moderator
14,538 Posts
I am little confused. It looks like the DexCool is not recommended by you but according to Toyota manual you can use any Glycol based coolant and DexCool is Glycol based. I am currently running my 99 Camry on red DexCool as it was at good price at Walmart, should I flush the radiator and change to something else? Thanks for advise
Your 99 Camry would have come with a P-HOAT Toyota Red. Toyota is an Ethylene Glycol coolant. I don't know of any non "Glycol" coolants. There are either Ethylene Glycol or Propolene Glycol coolants. As for the manual, older manuals had no coolant preference and 1995 and older models came with standard Green silicate coolant. Since around 2000, Toyota specifically recommends "their" coolant. In reality, they want a P-HOAT coolant.

As for your car, if the coolant is in there, it is in there. Personally, "I" would flush it all out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your 99 Camry would have come with a P-HOAT Toyota Red. Toyota is an Ethylene Glycol coolant. I don't know of any non "Glycol" coolants. There are either Ethylene Glycol or Propolene Glycol coolants. As for the manual, older manuals had no coolant preference and 1995 and older models came with standard Green silicate coolant. Since around 2000, Toyota specifically recommends "their" coolant. In reality, they want a P-HOAT coolant.

As for your car, if the coolant is in there, it is in there. Personally, "I" would flush it all out.
Thanks man, I already did changed it to Valvoline Zerex for Asian cars. I think the DexCool was Ethylene Glycol as well but went with the recommendation in the beginning of this post and went with the Zerex. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
14,538 Posts
Major update in Engine Oils includes:

Change Pennzoil to Pennzoil Platinum
Added Pennzoil High Mileage Line
Added Pennzoil Platinum Euro, Euro Diesel, and Racing Variants
Fixed Broken Pennzoil Platinum Product Data Sheets
Fixed Outdated Pennzoil Oil Grade Information

·
BonesandFeathers
112 Posts
at thirteen pounds...if your hands were big enough you could hand tighten them...I use a 3/8's clickety torque wrench with a magnetized swivel socket with an 8" extension attached. at $10 a piece I don't want to drop the plugs....I use a light copper based anti -seize,,, mostly out of habit...
heck of a list.....keep up the good work and thanks
Paul
between disney land and downtown L.A.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What's this talk about a Taurus??

(Oil Filter Sizes)

5SFE Stock: PL14476
5SFE Oversize: PL14477
3VZFE/1MZFE V6: PL10241
Taurus Upsize: PL20195
I do not understand what the author means by "Taurus Upsize" when referring to oil filter part numbers. I know that Ford makes a car called the Taurus, but that is the only automotive reference I am aware of, so I wonder why a ford product is being referenced in a Toyota thread.

I am the new owner of a gen4 Camry with a 265,000 mile 5sfe, & about to change its oil after flushing out a batch of oil that was contaminated with brake cleaner, and re-sealing the oil pan. I need this car to last me a long time, so any knowledge that can help me keep the oil and the engine internals cleaner than average, & extend the life of this engine (& drivetrain) will help!

So, can anyone clarify this "Taurus Upsize" thing?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also, does anyone know about the O'reilly Brand, "Microgard" oil filters? I saw a cutaway display of several competing filters, that included one of these, and they appeared to have a lot more filtration media inside than the others, so I have been using them in my other cars for ages, Just wondered how they would stack up to the other oil filters mentioned here?

·
asyriuscamry
50 Posts
Love this thread!

I'm sorry if I missed it, but where do you guys get your OEM stuff? Is the dealership the only place? Im asking because of coolant, I live in WV and I can NOT find Aisin Coolant anywhere, local Toyota dealership wants $30 for a gallon of premix red. :surprise: That seems steep to me. Also I noticed there was no "review" or suggestion of the authentic Toyota ATF. I'm personally 100% sold on their product (even though I'm sure its rebranded something or other) So far all my cars have done really well with the stuff.

BTW Glad I found this thread, I just switched my 2000 camry 5s-fe to Valvoline Full Synthetic (I wanted the mobil one but this stuff was on a good sale) and idk why but it made me SO NERVOUS. I'm on pins and needles driving this thing now cuz Im just expecting it to just blow up or something because I switched. This thread put my mind a little at ease with that.

·
Super Moderator
12,601 Posts
I'm sorry if I missed it, but where do you guys get your OEM stuff? Is the dealership the only place? Im asking because of coolant, I live in WV and I can NOT find Aisin Coolant anywhere, local Toyota dealership wants $30 for a gallon of premix red. :surprise: That seems steep to me.
For OEM parts, contact Roman, member name = ToyotaOfCoolSprings. He's a supporting vendor to TN, and offers a discount that's hard to beat. Not sure if it would be cost effective to ship coolant though. BTW, Toyota's red is not premix, it's a concentrate, so it needs to be diluted 50/50. $30 a gallon is a fairly typical price for it. Toyota's pink LLC is available only in a premix.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,862 Posts
I'm sorry if I missed it, but where do you guys get your OEM stuff? Is the dealership the only place? Im asking because of coolant, I live in WV and I can NOT find Aisin Coolant anywhere, local Toyota dealership wants $30 for a gallon of premix red. :surprise: That seems steep to me. Also I noticed there was no "review" or suggestion of the authentic Toyota ATF. I'm personally 100% sold on their product (even though I'm sure its rebranded something or other) So far all my cars have done really well with the stuff.

BTW Glad I found this thread, I just switched my 2000 camry 5s-fe to Valvoline Full Synthetic (I wanted the mobil one but this stuff was on a good sale) and idk why but it made me SO NERVOUS. I'm on pins and needles driving this thing now cuz Im just expecting it to just blow up or something because I switched. This thread put my mind a little at ease with that.
If you're not absolutely set on Toyota OEM fluids, I switched to using Zerex Asian Vehicle, about $16-17/gal on Amazon. Been working great for years now.

The Toyota ATF for our cars is just GM Dexron III, nothing is different (Toyota T-IV, I've been told, is slightly modified Dexron III). I use Dexron VI-spec stuff, like Valvoline MaxLife and ACDelco Dexron VI (the O.G. Dexron VI). The MaxLife works great in my T-IV and Honda Z1 cars as well.

I hope the full synthetic is working for you. I used to scoff at people that said switching to full synthetic on cars that had been run on conventional their whole lives might start leaking from every seal. That is, until it happened to two of my cars, requiring tedious resealing...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I hope the full synthetic is working for you. I used to scoff at people that said switching to full synthetic on cars that had been run on conventional their whole lives might start leaking from every seal. That is, until it happened to two of my cars, requiring tedious resealing...
I also just switched over to synthetic at high mileage (275k), hoping I don't start seeing lots of leaks. So far no difference but only about 700 miles in.

Can't one simply switch back to conventional if more leaking occurs with synthetic?

BTW I only switched because I'm now living in a colder climate and the morning temps are quite low. Otherwise the cars always been happy with conventional oil with proper OCI.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts
About this Discussion
70 Replies
29 Participants
chasman
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing