Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Dave in KCMO
176 Posts
Sorry - my bad - this was for the 2003 and not the 1996

Didn't they move to the glove-box air filter in the gen5?
Not sure about the gen 5 but the OP asked about the 1996, which is the car I had. The glove box drops open and with a little pressure on the sides of the box it opens a little more- enough to reach behind and remove the filter - no dremel or damage required. Try it - you'll see.

My mistake - this happened on my 2003, and not on the 1996

·
short-throw dipstick
5,899 Posts
Not sure about the gen 5 but the OP asked about the 1996, which is the car I had. The glove box drops open and with a little pressure on the sides of the box it opens a little more- enough to reach behind and remove the filter - no dremel or damage required. Try it - you'll see.
! This is news to me, GREAT news! I'll go check on my '00.

·
Super Moderator
14,566 Posts
Added Gen 1 Solara info to the sticky for pretty much all sections I have worked on (which doesn't included suspension).

Also I updated as follows:

Updated Purolator Filter line to include Purolator Boss and current model names/numbers.

Updated Mobil 1 oil section to include Mobil 1 Emission System Performance and Annual Protection oils

Added a note concerning the "A" and "T" (i.e. IFR6A11 and IFR6T11) designations present on some NGK Laser Iridium Plugs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No way to easily "get behind" the glove box to get to any cabin filter in my Georgetown, KY 1996 Camry LE 5SFE. Only the door swings down not the whole glove box. The box is truly that - 3 sides and top and bottom are one piece.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,899 Posts
No way to easily "get behind" the glove box to get to any cabin filter in my Georgetown, KY 1996 Camry LE 5SFE. Only the door swings down not the whole glove box. The box is truly that - 3 sides and top and bottom are one piece.
That reminds me, I went and checked my gen4 for a glove box cabin air filter. Nope, nada, el zilcho.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Wix oil filters have new part numbers. The new part number for the 2AZFE filter is 57145, or 57145XP for the XP version.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,899 Posts
Wix oil filters have new part numbers. The new part number for the 2AZFE filter is 57145, or 57145XP for the XP version.
Paging Dr. @hardtopte72

EDIT: Note to self: Do my own due-diligence

·
Super Moderator
14,566 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have no idea what happened, I swear when I was looking them up I didn't see them here. Woops.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Awesome thread!

hardtopte72,

I already use fully-synthetic motor oil (Mobil 1, Castrol, Penzoil).

Synthetic ATF & transaxle fluid sound like they may offer additional advantages over the factory fill Dex3. Is that correct?

However, I ran accross this:

- Does Toyota offer a fully-synthetic ATF that's recommended for the gen4 2.2L AT?
- Has Toyota approved the use of any fully-synthetic ATF for our car?

Thanks!

61 - 71 of 71 Posts