Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Red Line MT (75w/80) ok? Amt brake fluid req to flush

This maintenance thread is really amazing. Great job.

It is past time for me to change the 2009 Camry manual transmission oil. I have 3 quarts of unused Red Line MT (not MT 90) originally bought for our 1992 Camry. Will this work for the 2009 Camry (2AZ-FE)? FWIW, I live in the Dallas area and do not travel in colder climates.

How much brake fluid is required to replace the reservoir and flush the lines?

I look forward to your advice.

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
1,844 Posts
So I diagnosed my Camry's left side upper strut bearing is binding. Its causing my car to pull slightly to the left after a left turn, but it tracks straight coming out of a right turn. I can hear, feel and see the clunk only when turning right.

·
Super Moderator
14,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
This maintenance thread is really amazing. Great job.

It is past time for me to change the 2009 Camry manual transmission oil. I have 3 quarts of unused Red Line MT (not MT 90) originally bought for our 1992 Camry. Will this work for the 2009 Camry (2AZ-FE)? FWIW, I live in the Dallas area and do not travel in colder climates.

How much brake fluid is required to replace the reservoir and flush the lines?

I look forward to your advice.
I missed this somehow.

If it's Redline "MTL" it should be fine. As for brake fluid, I always use a 32 ounce bottle and flush all four wheels really well. I'm not sure if a 12 oz bottle would do a whole car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the awesome write up, great info, new to the Camry family, so I was looking to start doing all kinds little things listed here, tuneup, etc. will come in very handy. Thanks again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
RockAuto is listing different part numbers for the KYB QuickStruts than those listed here for my car, can anyone confirm that these fit a gen 5 2002? The part numbers listed here are about $15 cheaper a piece

·
Registered
376 Posts
In the coolant section you've left out the option of using universal coolants, like Prestone or SuperTech. If you do a good flush to remove the OEM coolant, you should have no cooling issues with universal coolants. I can vouch for that; all my Toyota products have SuperTech. At 215K, I replaced the water pump in our Lexus ES350 as preventive maintenance. The water pump and the engine block were rust and sediment free, and no signs of gelatinous coolant was present. Don't be bias against universal coolants!

·
3,406 Posts
Moved Sls671 post re: 2002 Camry SE gas issue to the Camry 5th & 6th Gen (2002-2006 & 2007-2011)/2nd Gen Solara (2004-2008) area

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drained and filled automatic transmission fluid. My understanding is the level is best checked when the engine is hot (normal driving hot, not very hot from sitting in traffic or towing) and idling (so that the level check is performed with the ATF at normal operating temp). Is this correct?

But since the dipstick has a cold zone, I assume a cold reading and top up to the top of the cold zone won't put you terribly far off from the level you want to be at normal operating temp?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I drained and filled automatic transmission fluid. My understanding is the level is best checked when the engine is hot (normal driving hot, not very hot from sitting in traffic or towing) and idling (so that the level check is performed with the ATF at normal operating temp). Is this correct?

But since the dipstick has a cold zone, I assume a cold reading and top up to the top of the cold zone won't put you terribly far off from the level you want to be at normal operating temp?
Too many methods to "properly" check ATF fluid. This is how I checked my ATF Fluid after filter change.
  • Drove around the block a couple times around the shop (ten minutes on street)
  • Check Fluid (little below full)
  • Add if needed (I needed a bit more but I ran out)
  • Drive to the store or home (15 -20 minutes on street and hwy)
  • Check Fluid (little below full)
  • Add as needed (I still needed a bit more but I had none)
  • Go somewhere else (work, store, anywhere) (15 minutes on street and hwy)
  • Check again (little below full)
  • Add as needed (drove to Toyota, bought some fluid and added a little)
  • Go somewhere else (work, store, anywhere)
  • Check again (little over full after checking it two other times afterwards)
  • Done
In other words, after your first test drive and fluid check, just drive normally and check it wherever visit. Or you can follow some comprehensive instructions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd really appreciate some input on why my engine is sounding like this. It's ratting, rumbling, and mildly what I would call "wheezing". I thought it might be the belts, but the belts look find and, it sounds like it's coming from the center of the engine block. Any ideas would be helpful.

It's a 2009 Camry LE 4 Cyl 160k miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like a bad exhaust leak. Maybe a pipe gasket?
Took to dealership. Water pump was cracked and coolant was leaking. Dealership said I saved my car by not putting off taking it in to be serviced. They replaced water pump, alternator (this was part of wheezing along with low coolant), and some minor unfixed recalls. Total price: $960 - dropped car off at 7 AM, picked up 3:30. Feel like I got a fair deal. I appreciate your response. Thanks!

161 - 175 of 175 Posts
About this Discussion
174 Replies
57 Participants
dboyallstars
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing