Toyota Nation Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 2363 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
2,694 Posts
I've been slacking lately. I found damage on the crank's thrust bearing face, so I dropped the 350 block and crank off to get cleaned up. I was told the damage is too deep to be repaired, which I kind of expected because there are really deep grooves on the thrust bearing face. The other bearing surfaces were generally smooth with maybe a groove a finger nail would hit. A quick recap, the trans is an automatic, I bought both engine and trans together, and I was planning on reusing it after the engine is rebuilt. From what I've researched, loose hardware, pinched trans cooler lines, or excessive torque converter pressure would damage a thrust bearing. Any idea what would cause this damage?

There are many, many ridges on the thrust bearing face.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
My guess would be loose hardware, pinched trans cooler lines, or excessive torque converter pressure.

Probably something wrong before the trans was rebuilt, hopefully not after it was rebuilt unless they were jackasses who jazzed up the valve body for way too much line pressure.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
2,694 Posts
As far as I am aware, this transmission has never been rebuilt. The transmission that came in the truck (also a 4l60) was rebuilt at some point in the past, and apparently had a gasket fail and dump fluid. Not sure if that was fixed before the truck was parked, or never fixed at all.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,215 Posts
OMG guys, I just found this youtube channel last night, and it is freakin' funny!!! I'd forgotten how laughing for too long makes your stomach hurt...

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,816 Posts
I wonder if the OBD live data reads the correct speed.

This sounds like it could be a bad capacitor on the speedometer.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
2,694 Posts
I wonder if the OBD live data reads the correct speed.

This sounds like it could be a bad capacitor on the speedometer.
I pulled the speedometer apart and didn't see anything obvious, but there are two capacitors and a resistor I suspect of being bad. I might take it to a shop for repair as I had some gauges replaced on my Tahoe's instrument cluster and I have been very happy with the work. I'm swamped with misc personal projects at the moment.

·
Registered
Blacktop AE101
76 Posts
Hey, I thought I'd share these OEM accessories I had in the trunk when I bought my 7th gen.

This one is some kind of multi-storage thing you're supposed to install in the trunk somewhere, I can't find much information about it online, not sure if it came standard with every new Corolla or if it was optional. I even have the installation instruction that came with it originally.

And here's the original tool kit that was sold with the car, it's not missing anything afaik, and has never been used, every tool is stamped with "TOYOTA".

I know it's silly, but I love it when I buy a car and it still has OEM stuff like this.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,374 Posts
Hey, I thought I'd share these OEM accessories I had in the trunk when I bought my 7th gen.

This one is some kind of multi-storage thing you're supposed to install in the trunk somewhere, I can't find much information about it online, not sure if it came standard with every new Corolla or if it was optional. I even have the installation instruction that came with it originally.

View attachment 291266

View attachment 291267

And here's the original tool kit that was sold with the car, it's not missing anything afaik, and has never been used, every tool is stamped with "TOYOTA".

View attachment 291268

View attachment 291269

I know it's silly, but I love it when I buy a car and it still has OEM stuff like this.

This is so cool. Never seen these before.

·
Registered
Blacktop AE101
76 Posts
I love when older cars come into the shop and have all that stuff in them and it's virgin. The spare on my 98 Mazda was unused until a few weeks ago!
It's all there afaik.

Original emergency kit (I should probably replace some stuff in there)

OEM jack, never been used, it still has the original grease on it :p

And the OEM spare and triangle. I've never driven with the spare, but I used it once to leave the car on it while I was having a tire repaired.

I should probably clean all of that at some point, but I have a lot of work to do on the car this spring, so that'll have to wait.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,215 Posts
I guess those tool kits are a European thing? Do the JDM and Asian market cars come with them?

Were they an option here in the states?

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,318
I guess those tool kits are a European thing? Do the JDM and Asian market cars come with them?

Were they an option here in the states?
The USDM came with toolkits too - we still have ours. However I only think it's the scissor jack, lug nut wrench, pliers and a screwdriver. I'll check the next time I'm rummaging around in the trunk.

·
Registered
Blacktop AE101
76 Posts

It makes no sense but I want to buy this. It's a 1st owner 1.6si with less than 100.000km, GT interior and front bumper, just like mine, it looks mint. The only thing that bothers me is the colour, the red on the 7th gen was a single stage paint, it tends to turn pink really easily.

2301 - 2320 of 2363 Posts