Toyota Nation Forum banner

2341 - 2360 of 2363 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Indeed the US were ahead in vehicle safety in that era! The regulations for vehicle safety were stricter than Europe, which became more aware only after the creation of EuroNCAP in the mid 90s.
Until then, a lot of safety systems, actice or passive, already existed and were fitted, but were reserved for high end cars (Mercedes, BMW and of course Volvo). In just a few years, front and side airbags became commonplace even in small hatchbacks.

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,342
Does anyone have any shelter-in-place projects going with their Corollas? It struck me that it's an excellent time to do some extended repairs or projects, as you're at home anyway and the car is mostly just parked anyways.

My timing belt isn't due again until next year but I'm seriously considering doing it early, and maybe take advantage of DrZ's excellent valve stem seal writeup to get those done too while I'm in there. We shall see if I take the plunge.

Oh and swapping the winter tires back to all-seasons and oil change is coming up too.

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,219 Posts
My MR2 is throwing a P0440 and leaking gas fumes into the cabin, only when running. I'm very annoyed, as I just dropped the tank to do handbrake cables (they run above the tank). I did not remove the fuel pump assembly. Might be a damaged hose. My friend says it's likely a bad vent valve gasket. Gotta mess with the hose on it and it's tough to remove, could have cracked the gasket in the process.

Basically I need to smoke test it, which means buying a smoke tester during the lockdown. No one to borrow from anyway. Gotta register and smog it in April so I better get on that...

Might as well do an oil change while I'm at it.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,816 Posts
I was thinking of dropping the pan on my 90 Corolla's transmission and changing the filter and ATF. And it's going to be getting hotter and hotter in the Phoenix area, so I need to do it soon anyway. Actually, this is all because the A131L is acting up. The torque converter stopped locking up and it shifts slowly from 2nd to 3rd. I was hoping it was just old ATF and maybe a clogged filter. I started a thread in the 6th gen forum discussing it.

But first I need to clear out some space in the garage. This is probably a good time for everyone to do some spring cleaning and clear out old junk in their home.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
1,999 Posts
Does anyone have any shelter-in-place projects going with their Corollas? It struck me that it's an excellent time to do some extended repairs or projects, as you're at home anyway and the car is mostly just parked anyways.
I'm working from home so only really gaining ~15 minutes a day of extra time, although I have planned to take the week after Easter off to start pulling the 7A out and test-fitting the 2ZZ

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
2,695 Posts
My MR2 is throwing a P0440 and leaking gas fumes into the cabin, only when running.
I need to replace the taillight seals in the 280. I have exhaust gas and rain getting inside. Like a truly intelligent person, it's the water intrusion that bugs me.

I'm still showing up to the office. We aren't on any sort of lock down at the moment and I don't have permission to work remotely.

·
Registered
Blacktop AE101
76 Posts
Does anyone have any shelter-in-place projects going with their Corollas?
I'm doing as much as I can atm. Since the confinement went in effect I finished the rear disks conversion, all the surface rust has been taken care of, the whole suspension system has been overhauled with new bushings and so on, and I installed new coilovers. Right now I'm waiting on parts and tools to replace the front bearings, it should arrive next week, and I'm also waiting for compound and pads to do what is probably the first detail my 'rolla has ever seen. I still have some color matching spray paint and clear coat so I might also fix some scratches on my bumpers.

I'll keep doing everything I can at home, and as soon as shops start to reopen I'll go buy new tires and have an alignment done.

·
Registered
201 Posts
For me it doesn't mean that much free time during the week, as I'm working remotely, I save time in commute but it only translates to half an hour in the afternoon, and in the morning I take the extra time for extra sleep
I need new front brakes very soon, and a new timing belt. Need a also a good wash + wax, but it's spring and there's already a lot of pollen in the air, it feels like a waste of time (and water).

In the weekend there's not much to do and nowhere to go and I've never done a brake job. I am not very confident to do it on my own, but at the same time, quite tempted. I've been watching some videos and reading maintenance manuals... How hard can it be?

All the supplies for the basic maintenance already delivered, but there's still 2k until the next schedule, anticipating seems unnecessary, unless the car ends up sitting for a long time.

As for Timing, I have to leave it to someone experienced, so out of the table until workshops resume normal service.

·
Registered
6 Posts

My timing belt isn't due again until next year but I'm seriously considering doing it early, and maybe take advantage of DrZ's excellent valve stem seal writeup to get those done too while I'm in there. We shall see if I take the plunge.

Oh and swapping the winter tires back to all-seasons and oil change is coming up too.
I upgraded my injectors on the 7AFE and waiting on my BC Coilovers to come in. Car runs great and sounds better.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,215 Posts
He wrote in another thread that the new injectors have four discharge nozzles, whereas the stockers have only one or two. The new injectors should atomize the fuel better. He reports that the engine feels more powerful.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,816 Posts
In closed loop (cruising, idling) the ECU will just try to adjust the fuel trims to get back to the idle ratio. During wide open throttle the bigger injectors may put in more fuel and give more power. If flames are coming out the tailpipe it might be a little too much fuel. Can't be good for the cat.

If they gave better gas mileage and more power you'd think the Toyota engineers would have installed them in the factory. There must be a drawback somewhere.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,215 Posts
In closed loop (cruising, idling) the ECU will just try to adjust the fuel trims to get back to the idle ratio. During wide open throttle the bigger injectors may put in more fuel and give more power. If flames are coming out the tailpipe it might be a little too much fuel. Can't be good for the cat.

If they gave better gas mileage and more power you'd think the Toyota engineers would have installed them in the factory. There must be a drawback somewhere.
You identified it at the end of your first paragraph.
HP, torque, and MPGs are always swept off of the table by emissions concerns.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Spray patterns are usually tuned for the port and swirl style so having 4 nozzles spraying at the walls of the intake port may not be better than have two nozzles spraying more directly down the intake port. I don't know the specifics of either injector to make a call either way, without data logging and some dyno time there won't really be any way to know for sure. As long as he's happy with how it's running I guess that's all that matters. Judging by the flame I suspect he doesn't have to worry about cat damage.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,816 Posts

He said he's getting better gas mileage.

Magnaflow Hi Flow cat and Magnaflow muffler. Flames come out the exhaust with the car just sitting when he hits the gas.

2341 - 2360 of 2363 Posts