Toyota Nation Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 3022 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,081 Posts
Ok so the transmission pan gasket requires no sealant to stick on proper
I've only had my pan off my 1990 A131L transmission and I didn't have much trouble putting it on. It took me a very small amount of effort to line a few screws up with the holes in the gasket, but mostly easy. I don't think it should leak if done properly. I think the motor oil pan uses a sealant make-a-gasket.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've only had my pan off my 1990 A131L transmission and I didn't have much trouble putting it on. It took me a very small amount of effort to line a few screws up with the holes in the gasket, but mostly easy. I don't think it should leak if done properly. I think the motor oil pan uses a sealant make-a-gasket.
the oil pan, if it ever starts leaking, does not look to be too much of a task on the Corolla, only seems the exhaust pipe is in the way?
my tacoma is another story, though, i read that you have to remove the front diff and stuff to get the oil pan, so i am crossing the fingers that it does not ever leak down below there

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
there were black snakes all over the road on interstate 80 yesterday, they were literally coming out of the cracks and squirming around, it was the freakiest thing i recall ever having witnessed

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,081 Posts
there were black snakes all over the road on interstate 80 yesterday, they were literally coming out of the cracks and squirming around, it was the freakiest thing i recall ever having witnessed
Maybe the end times are near???

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Maybe the end times are near???
It could be for someone unfortunate enough to be too close behind an 18 wheeler as they break a chunk of road and launch it at their windshield :(
A crew was out repairing a rotted retaining wall somebody must've hit and broke a big chunk out on an overpass

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
so the local jiffyLube wants $117 to change this diff fluid
is that a decent deal :unsure: how the heck do they fairly price this nowdays, 30yrs ago when i was a tech there it was roughly $14.99 iirc or maybe $19.99, one or the other for sure

·
Registered
Corolla 97' 1.8 DX sedan
38 Posts
Check the heater relay or the heater coil.

Edit : you could have a bhg. Need to check oil for coolant contamination.
what's the heater coil?

Edit:
Oil looks ok I think, idk if there's other notable symptoms of what might be a blown head gasket
radiator coolant looks like sludge

·
Registered
Corolla 97' 1.8 DX sedan
38 Posts
The heater relay is only related to the blower motor and AC compressor and cooling fans. And I'm not sure what the heater coil is. The heater core and flow of coolant through it is completely mechanical, and controled by the valve on the firewall. And the flap that directs the air around the heater core is mechanical too, controlled by a cable. I would hope it's not a blow head gasket.
I"ll keep an eye out for leaks, oil is somewhat old, looks darker tanish color. Hope not BHG

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,081 Posts
so the local jiffyLube wants $117 to change this diff fluid
is that a decent deal :unsure: how the heck do they fairly price this nowdays, 30yrs ago when i was a tech there it was roughly $14.99 iirc or maybe $19.99, one or the other for sure

View attachment 327810
You could take that money and invest in the tools you need to change the diff fluid yourself. You need a 8mm (or maybe 10mm) allen type socket for the drain. And a wrench that's angled just right for the fill plug.

Reactions: Apples555

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,081 Posts
I’ve always been able to access the fill plug with a regular wrench and the wheels turned all the way to the right.
It wasn't so easy on my 1990 A131L. The clearance was too small. I needed to use a low profile socket and 3/8" drive ratchet. Maybe on 7th gens there is a little more space.

When you say "regular wrench" are you talking about a closed end wrench? And what was the angle of the end of the wrench? Or was it a straight zero angle? I thought the plug is slightly recessed so the wrench needs to have a slight angle, but if its angled too much the handle won't fit between the firewall.

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You could take that money and invest in the tools you need to change the diff fluid yourself. You need a 8mm (or maybe 10mm) allen type socket for the drain. And a wrench that's angled just right for the fill plug.
It's in quite the awkward spot from the side of car, it's not like the engine oil drain!
safely require plenty of shoulder room to get close enough deep underneath to eyeball it
When it warms up more then 50 degrees here going to see if the big ramps I have will fit under for more shoulder room to slither under from the side on the shoulder

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,081 Posts
It's in quite the awkward spot from the side of car, it's not like the engine oil drain!
safely require plenty of shoulder room to get close enough deep underneath to eyeball it
When it warms up more then 50 degrees here going to see if the big ramps I have will fit under for more shoulder room to slither under from the side on the shoulder
On my 1990 I used ramps and slid underneath then put the socket wrench straight up, but there isn't much clearance with the cross member there. There's more than one way to get to it.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Corolla
1,796 Posts
When you say "regular wrench" are you talking about a closed end wrench?
Flat open end of a combination wrench. I was never able to put the angled box end on the bolt, there isn't enough clearance.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
On my 1990 I used ramps and slid underneath then put the socket wrench straight up, but there isn't much clearance with the cross member there. There's more than one way to get to it.
I can't slid, have to squirm like a snake!
Socket wrench looks like the best way, although I was recently browsing Chris topic that he stripped his fill plug using an open wrench many years ago

That fuel filter looks like a tricky buggar to get at through the access hole in the wheel well

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i delete all posts on eastman51's
he had a real good thread going and I got carried away which happens a lot (n) i suck, its my curse. i need to also attempt to clean the egr like he did, but other things first, i looked at the price of egr and i recall it was north of $200 so hopefully its ok on my car

so i went and ordered the wrong $3.50 expansion plug (n) when i actually need an o-ring that is not showing up on that diagram that lists all fasteners parts, or else i am overlooking it and have yet to find a pic of what i am looking at until i get all the parts in and get the cover off to find all the sprouting leaks, slowing spraying degreaser on in spots and wiping as time permits

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Can you get a woodworking clamp on it to pin it to the bracket? Or some really solid hose clamps that could go around both the filter and the bracket? Without securing the filter it will near impossible to get the flare nut off the bottom. You MAY have a chance at getting the top banjo bolt off.
is this banjo bolt the same thing as the union bolt?
Bolt Union90401-12097

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,081 Posts
i delete all posts on eastman51's
he had a real good thread going and I got carried away which happens a lot (n) i suck, its my curse. i need to also attempt to clean the egr like he did, but other things first, i looked at the price of egr and i recall it was north of $200 so hopefully its ok on my car

so i went and ordered the wrong $3.50 expansion plug (n) when i actually need an o-ring that is not showing up on that diagram that lists all fasteners parts, or else i am overlooking it and have yet to find a pic of what i am looking at until i get all the parts in and get the cover off to find all the sprouting leaks, slowing spraying degreaser on in spots and wiping as time permits
The o-ring for the distributor is in the distributor parts diagram. 19107A . This is the 3rd time I'm posting this info for you. This is the problem with posting questions all over the place. It's hard to keep track of your own posts and the responses. If you start your own dedicated thread for questions and discussion about your own car, then it's easier for everyone to follow along and not get confused between different members' cars. It's still fine to post in the chat thread or start other threads for specific questions and problems. I don't mean to sound too critical. I like you as a member because you are interested in these cars and I like discussing them, so I'm not discouraging you from posting. It seems like we've had an increase in posts here in the last few months which is good, but we should try to stay organized.

Here was the first time I posted it.

·
Registered
Corolla 97' 1.8 DX sedan
38 Posts
Corrolla heater only blows hot air after turning fan on then immediately goes cold. If I turn fan off for a while, blows hot air then immediately goes cold again. I can hear coolant occasionally swishing through dashboard. Recently did flush and found not clogging in any engine orifice or heater core tubings.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The effects of aging... the mind wanders and CRS (can't remember something)

2961 - 2980 of 3022 Posts