Toyota Nation Forum banner

Official 7th gen Chat Thread

161869 Views 3760 Replies 69 Participants Last post by  JustNahDude
As the title says, let's talk! :)

See the little tab on the top of the gear shifter panel? Pop it off and push the button - see page 185 in your owners manual (page 17 of this PDF): http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM12744U/pdf/4.pdf That will allow you to put it in N and start the car.
3661 - 3680 of 3761 Posts

· Premium Member
15,098 Posts
I have an uncracked 93 7A exhaust manifold with pretty virgin heat shield, just pay shipping.

Also have a set of parking brake cables, shoes, and wheel cylinders. They've been sitting in storage in boxes so probably ok still.
And timing belt/water pump. And a pair of bumpers not sure if Corolla or Prizm. Not shipping bumpers, local pick up on those. Local pickup on anything actually.

Bumpers are Prizm, 'baboon ass red' color. Literally any of this is free, just come and get it. Located about an hour south of Chicago, message me to arrange a time. There's other stuff too, some garage door openers and whatever else the property owner doesn't want. The car parts are just what I had in my storage unit left over and forgotten about. There's some old computer parts left if anyone is into that stuff, some OEM board with a K6 233mhz and a P3 Tulatin with a lapped IHS.

· Registered
JPN 1995 Toyota Corolla AE102L-AEMNKK
8 Posts
Hey guys! I have a question! Finding the actual homokinetic joint cover for the 7th gen isn't very easy here where I live. If someone more experienced than me would be able to tell: is there any compatible covers for this Corolla model? I just need the cover and I was thinking if its the same between Corolla generations or even other makes/models. Thanks in advance!

· Token Aussie
1998 AE102 sedan, 2006 ZZE122 wagon, 2018 ZRE182 hatch
2,633 Posts
Hey guys! I have a question! Finding the actual homokinetic joint cover for the 7th gen isn't very easy here where I live. If someone more experienced than me would be able to tell: is there any compatible covers for this Corolla model? I just need the cover and I was thinking if its the same between Corolla generations or even other makes/models. Thanks in advance!
By "homokinetic" do you mean the CV joint? And by "cover" do you mean the rubber boot?

1996 Toyota Corolla
10,444 Posts
I could use some advice. Do you guys know much about bench vises? I picked this up. Figured it owuld be a good budget vise with a 5" opening. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VJNUZW

I have two videos explaining my thoughts

tl;dr did I buy a crappy vise? Is this good enough for a home gamer who doesn't really NEED a vise very often? Should I somehow justify a $200 Wilton?

· Registered
1997 Corolla CE
2,964 Posts
I think you're always going to have some level of play because of the worm/screw mechanism. I bought a smaller vice and have abused the crap out of it to the point it flops around and can't be locked into the base to prevent swiveling, but it still holds stuff in the jaws tightly. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

· Token Aussie
2,633 Posts
Some wiggle is always good as it helps with self-aligning inside the jaws of the chuck. It's when you tighten it down as hard as you can go and something is still loose that you have a problem.

Also, I think that's the first time I've ever heard your voice Dima, not what I was picturing (you almost sound a little Canadian)

1996 Toyota Corolla
10,444 Posts
Hah, Canadian? That's funny. I was whispering because it was quite late, maybe someday I'll post a video of my normal speaking voice.

Thanks for the advice guys. I kinda had a day to think about it. I understand some play is normal but it seemed a bit excessive. Especially when you tighten and it all shifts. But my biggest issue is that the rotation mechanism was just a flat bar so only two points of contact and it would bind. Frankly it's not what I imagined when I dreamed of a vise my whole life.So after getting some birthday money... I ended up splurging a bit too much and getting a Wilton WS6. It might be the kind of vise that lasts me for decades to come so it's not a huge amount of money in the long run. It was under $200 on Amazon. https://wiltontools.com/63302

· Token Aussie
2,633 Posts
Hah, Canadian? That's funny. I was whispering because it was quite late, maybe someday I'll post a video of my normal speaking voice.
Well maybe not all Canadians, but I do work with an Ontarian who sounds similar (granted who has lived here for the last ~15 years so his accent has probably been affected a bit, but then again someone who must have been completely accent-deaf thought he sounded Scottish despite probably a third of our company coming from England or Scotland).

It does make me wonder how I sound to non-Australians though, as I don't believe I have a particularly strong accent (definitely not in the Steve Irwin/Paul Hogan sense), but I know it will come out on certain inflections and the fact that like every Australian I will swear like a sailor (relatively speaking) even in polite conversation

· Token Aussie
2,633 Posts
Ok I think we regulars need to post videos of us talking haha
If I decide to swap the SuperStrut brakes from the 102 to the ZZE122 (don't worry I have a spare set, the 102 isn't moving any time soon so it doesn't need brakes) this weekend maybe I'll provide some running commentary...

· Token Aussie
2,633 Posts
Progress on the 2ZZ stalled? I remember you messaged me about it but then I fell off the radar trying to keep up with an insane workload.
It's primed for another burst of action once I get my engine crane back, but otherwise yes nothing has happened in the last ~year.

· Token Aussie
2,633 Posts
DID SOMEONE SAY 2ZZ SWAP????? lol
If only it was like Beetlejuice, where you say 2ZZ three times and it magically installs itself...

· Premium Member
15,098 Posts
Anyone know anywhere to get some obscure bolt for a Nissan? I think I found one on eBay that looks right but it doesn't match my application. I need one TPS bolt for an early 90's Infiniti Q45, likely this is the same bolt as on like every other Nissan of that era and I'm sure I could just use any M5 bolt (haven't confirmed that size just yet) but I'm a whore for things matching and using the right fasteners.

3661 - 3680 of 3761 Posts