Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 2295 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
2,611 Posts
The Focus I'm renting must be brand new, as it has 7,7XX miles on it. We've already put on 1,000 of those miles, and it does get amazing gas mileage. I do like the interior, but hate the head rest. It angles forward, and seems to force my head down. The visors are also huge and block too much of the view in my opinion. I do wish I brought either the 280zx, or the Corolla on this trip, but oh well. We have more time to be here this way. All the rental cars were either Fords or Chevys, so I couldn't get a Corolla. :(

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Here's to the folks making fun of us driving an "old" car that still has original engine and transmissions 20+ years later while their "new" car is in the shop for transmission problems. Lol
Does mine count as original if it gets rebuilt and keeps the same case? :lol:

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,106 Posts
My uncle isn't exactly... super nice. He told me "with all the money you spent on your Corolla, you could have put a downpayment on a new Corolla." And I said "My Corolla is bulletproof, gets good gas mileage, and costs me nothing. I don't wanna go spending $20k on a new one." This came from the guy who leased two Fords then gave them back, ending up with a lot less money and no cars. I still have my Corolla, and it didn't have to be recalled like one of his Fords for huge transmission issues.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My uncle isn't exactly... super nice. He told me "with all the money you spent on your Corolla, you could have put a downpayment on a new Corolla." And I said "My Corolla is bulletproof, gets good gas mileage, and costs me nothing. I don't wanna go spending $20k on a new one." This came from the guy who leased two Fords then gave them back, ending up with a lot less money and no cars. I still have my Corolla, and it didn't have to be recalled like one of his Fords for huge transmission issues.
I'm a fan of the idea of being able to retire early, a used car is very conductive to the plan.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/02/car-strategies-to-cut-your-costs-in-four-or-more/

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I'm just happy today they have normal keys on 7th gens. Somehow a family member got 60 miles from home without a key in the car in their Mitsubishi. Now tomorrow I'm going to pray it's a vulnerability/flaw in the FAST key system and not some type of malfunction of the key fobs, ECU, or immobilizer system. I have a theory they opened the windows earlier in the day to air the car out, never turned it back to lock and left it in Acc/On, then got in to leave and since it was in On the car just started, but if not none of the alternatives are pleasant to either troubleshoot or the wallet. Can't find instances of it starting without a key but apparently early FAST key systems had lots of growing pains.

That scare on top the issues I've had with both newer Camrys have further soured me on newer vehicles. The 2012 had ABS and Paint issues, and got bought back. Now the 2014 either got overfilled with oil and mysteriously decided to begin belching smoke 1800 miles after the offending oil change, or there is some other issue they're trying to cover up, given I only have 1,000 miles of lemon law protection left. Been running mostly fine but seems like it needs more throttle and has a hesitation from time to time; plugs from the front bank are also all peppered and there is something shiny/oily on the tops of the pistons. If this tank of fuel doesn't clean it out it's back to the dealer.

This Corolla cost $3300 total. Granted I'm probably looking at $1500-2000 for an A/T rebuild, but that's not even 6 months of payments on the 2014... I've flushed so much down the toilet on car payments for crap cars I could have bought a lot of 7th gens. To be fair my cash buys have worked out poorly too, but in the case of both trucks I was able to quickly wash my hands of them without losing a dime, and the AllTrac was my stupidity, not the fault of the car per se. If I finance another vehicle it would be something cheap for like 3 years, or a stripper model truck with a stick shift and manual windows...

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
2,611 Posts
Well, our trip is over . . It was fun while it lasted. . . but wow, my Corolla feels slow compared to that Focus. . . so much so I'm wondering if the engine/tranny is tired or if I was spoiled with the faster slushbox the Focus had.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Had that same feeling going from the 1.6/3 speed to the AllTrac and Focus, then from the AllTrac to the 1.8L/4speed. The 1.6/3 speed is a great, cheap, reliable car but it is simply not cut out for driving up and down 15 percent grades and 75mph highways, while the AllTrac is within a couple hundred pounds of my 2014 Camry and has less than half the horsepower and needs to drive four wheels too. The pep of the 1.8L blew me away after owning the 1.6L and actually kept up with the V6 during merges and passing on the ride back from the DC metro, and I really think most of that was the difference in the 3 vs 4 speed ratios. Glad you had a good trip though!

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
2,611 Posts
Yeah, and my 3spd auto doesn't help. lol I think it takes me 6 seconds or more to get from 60mph to 65mph on flat ground.

cipher- Thanks! Overall I'm happy I didn't put my Corolla through the abuse of going through mountains. I can't imagine anyone with a 3spd living around hills.

·
Registered
1994 Corolla
631 Posts
I'm just happy today they have normal keys on 7th gens.
Amen, brother. We owned a Crossfire for 5 years with only one key. I knew it would be smart to have 2, but I just couldn't bring myself to spending well over $200 for a key! I haven't seen any stats, but isn't all this new key technology supposed to, ultimately, reduce car theft? I'm not sure it has, but maybe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello to all corolla owners, this my first post, i have toyota corolla 1993, and i have an issue, my CEL is on, do you know why that happen ? Please help me.. Thanks Hari, from Indonesia.

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Create a new thread in this forum instead of using the chat thread.

Also, search this forum for "t1 and te1". That will tell you how to retrieve the diagnostic codes. I'd post it here but let's not use this chat thread for that topic. Once you have the diagnostic codes as mentioned post a new thread and people will be able to help you. Without the codes there is no way of knowing what is wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im new here.idk if im in the right forum.but i really need some help with this pain in the ass 93 toyota corolla with the 1.6l 4afe auto.replaced the dizzy and circuit opening relay and efi main relay and no spark and sometimes no fuel.the spark was intermitten like the fuel but now no spark at all.any help is greatly appreciated.timing belt is good.rotor spins.

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Made a scoop at Target today. Walked past the automotive isle and saw a six-pack of 1 quart bottles of Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30. Now I absolutely do not need to store more oil, I have an oversupply already. But the pack was sitting on the clearance shelf without a visible price tag. I had an associate scan the clearance bar code on it: $9.19 for the entire six quarts. Wow. Fantastic price! Now on top of that I have to see if Mobil 1 accepts the receipt for the $12 off 5 quarts mail in rebate they have going on...

I think the pack was a web order they accepted to return in store. Rather than sending products not carried in store back to the web fulfillment warehouse they tend to just put them out on clearance in store.

61 - 80 of 2295 Posts