Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 593 Posts

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the place for people to discuss info regrading the new 2018 8th Gen Camry. This can serve as the 8th Gen sub-forum until it is created later this summer, closer to the release.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for creating the thread. Some of this is in the other thread, but here are links that I've found helpful as we wait for more information about the 2018 Camry. I'm starting with the basics; will add more when time permits.

Official Toyota Information:
- Press Release (Toyota Pressroom)
- Upcoming Vehicles (Toyota.com)

Photos:
- Netcarshow.com (high-resolution versions of the Toyota PR photos)

Articles: (Note: listing only those that have actual substance and not regurgitations of the press release)
- Motor Trend: 2018 Toyota Camry Prototype Drive Review: Tectonic Shift, January 2017
- 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid Aims for Wider Appeal, Could Top 50 MPG City

Videos:
- 2018 Toyota Camry YouTube Playlist

This one by Clean MPG is one of the better overviews. He doesn't just restate the press release. He actually takes a closer look and provides his opinion on things like material quality and interior room.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Stated in the other thread many times that I love the look of this camry. Excited to see it on the dealer lot and get all tech specs

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Excited to see it on the dealer lot and get all tech specs

Concur,

I think some high volume dealers will get a 8th gen standalone copy very soon … It will be a basic model and won’t be on the showroom floor.

Story:

Back in the day when I was a happy 2011 2.5 6th gen SE driver I watched the unveiling of the 2015 7.5 big mouthed XSE and I fell in love.

A few days later I went to the dealer and inquired? No one had a good show time which was to be expected, but they wanted to sell me a 7th gen (ya right)

Nevertheless, a few months later when specifications/pricing was released I went back and they had a basic 4 banger SE on the roof, that they showed me. (It was a long walk-n-talk)

I think MSRP was around 24K (or highest bidder) but I told him I wanted a 4 cylinder with BSM and he said that would probably run me around 29K when they arrive.

Morale of story:

Dealers are fishing for the true Camry ‘Tifosi' in the early stages and won’t put the standalone in the showroom until they severely dented previous model stock.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm anxiously awaiting for the '18 Hybrid MPG specs and hoping that they will be close or better than the current Prius MPG specs. And, maybe more importantly, that the '18 Hybrid seats feel better to my wife than they do to her in the new Prius. :lol:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I'm anxiously awaiting for the '18 Hybrid MPG specs and hoping that they will be close or better than the current Prius MPG specs. And, maybe more importantly, that the '18 Hybrid seats feel better to my wife than they do to her in the new Prius. :lol:
The new 2.5 mated to an 8 speed should be pretty fascinating, but I think you hybrid guys are still going to get a CVT?

The new 2.5 mated to KERS and a CVT should be very impressive as well!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I watched several utube videos and I must say that I like what I see. The new suspension is innovative and gets big + from me. My hesitation is a new 4cyl with a new 8 speed trans. This could be a big win for Toyota or a nightmare since they don't have the best record when it comes to transmission technology. Toyo never got all the bugs out of the 6 speeds autos including the torque converter problems that are occurring in the never models.
I certainly wouldn't purchase a 1st year production one but would wait until the 2nd year.
I have been looking at other brands as my Camry is getting old but not tired my any means.
W95c

·
TN の がしょう
7,394 Posts
To my surprise, I saw 6 of the Gen 8 yesterday on the street. It seems like they were going back to Toyota HQ after doing a little reveal at the local Toyota dealership.

Saw 2 XSE in black and white with black roof and red interior (definitely looks good in those colors), 1 XLE, 1 XLE Hybrid, 1 SE and 1 LE. The car seems bigger in general and the LED headlights on the XSE seem to be improved over the current Gen 7.5.

They look good out on the street. Seeing it in person on the street compared to seeing pictures is totally different. I would definitely get the XSE V6 if I were "forced" to get a new camry.

Wish I had took a picture of it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
To my surprise, I saw 6 of the Gen 8 yesterday on the street. It seems like they were going back to Toyota HQ after doing a little reveal at the local Toyota dealership.

Saw 2 XSE in black and white with black roof and red interior (definitely looks good in those colors), 1 XLE, 1 XLE Hybrid, 1 SE and 1 LE. The car seems bigger in general and the LED headlights on the XSE seem to be improved over the current Gen 7.5.

They look good out on the street. Seeing it in person on the street compared to seeing pictures is totally different. I would definitely get the XSE V6 if I were "forced" to get a new camry.

Wish I had took a picture of it.
How did the le and se look in comparison to the XLE and xse? Don't know how good of a look you got, just curious the difference if you did though

·
TN の がしょう
7,394 Posts
How did the le and se look in comparison to the XLE and xse? Don't know how good of a look you got, just curious the difference if you did though
The SE looks similar to the XSE but with different wheels and a bit toned down.

The LE and XLE looks the same with different wheels and lights obviously.

I didn't take a really good look to compare the LE and XLE rear though. I only saw the fronts.

·
Registered
389 Posts
This was shared in the other thread awhile back:

Possible 2018 SE front

Possible 2018 SE side

Two photos of the same prototype on display at Toyota HQ. Looks like no (or different?) LED DRLs on the SE.

·
Registered
597 Posts
This was shared in the other thread awhile back:

Possible 2018 SE front

Possible 2018 SE side

Two photos of the same prototype on display at Toyota HQ. Looks like no (or different?) LED DRLs on the SE.
Hmmm not sure how I like those head lights compared to the xse. Guess I'll have to see them in person. Still love the look of the new camry though

·
Registered
389 Posts
The pics appear to be virtually identical to the "official" pics online. The black SE looks pretty good.
They should be nearly identical -- the only difference is the trim level. Different wheels, different front lighting, and no front parking sensors, are the differences that I see between the photos and the official XSE pics.

·
TN の がしょう
7,394 Posts
That blue is nice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That blue is nice! Wish they had some type of fog lamp option. A led strip or something lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree, the blue car looks good, but that's also because the dark color integrates well with the black trim on the grille. On the other hand, the black roof on the white car looks . . . well, strange. The crease in the C pillar seems out of place and contrived to begin with, and using it as a trim line for the black roof makes it look all the more awkward.

1 - 20 of 593 Posts