Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 592 Posts

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts
I agree with Mill....The hood scoops here, like on many other makes/models, just seem overly aggressive...darker colors minimize the contrast of black against white...the monochromatic scheme works better to my eye.

The black roof, again, seems too contrasty to my eye, though I love the black roof on my window tinted sand mica Camry...as well as the black bra up front....adds some NEEDED CONTRAST to an otherwise dull, boring, too nuanced, too subtle (take your pick) design that I otherwise prefer over the modern more aggressive designs...but that's just me.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The white with the black roof is growing on me.

Not so sure about the blue (Hybrid or XSE). Just not a fan of that shade of blue (regardless of the car).

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Front end needs to go on a serious "diet."

I'm not feeling the front ends on these or the last few years either. The rear end isn't bad looking. Guess I'll be looking to get another 16 years out of my 01.:laugh:
I was sure that they'd be smart enough to make me WANT a new Car ... before I NEED a new car. That hood and front end needs to shed at least 100 pounds of excess blubber before I'd want it.

I too shall probably just keep my 09V6 for another 100,000 miles. And surely they'll catch up to the el cheapo base Altima S and put dual exhausts on the "4-bangers."

·
Registered
339 Posts
The blue color on the 2018 XSE in the pictures appears to be Blue Streak Metallic used on the current 2017 model. This isn't surprising given that Ruby Flare Pearl is the red color for the 2018 as well and will be an extra cost color like it is now. Motor Trend has an article featuring an interview with the car's designer. In it, it states that the black roof option is limited to the white (called Platinum White), silver and blue cars. Another article in Automobile Magazine states that they paint the roof by literally taping off a completed car and spray it separately. As for the red interior, I would look to what Lexus does regarding what exterior colors you can and can't get with a red interior, i.e. you can't get a red car with a red interior, etc. As for the V6 specs, look to the current Highlander and Sienna. The Camry will have the same engine as those. I'm still curious about the lack of fog lamps on the car. I remember my mom's TL back in the day having integrated fog lights in the headlight assembly. I wonder if they're doing the same thing here. However, it seems that Lexus has been ditching fog lights, especially on the F models. Maybe new LED headlight technology makes them irrelevant?

Articles referenced above:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-toyota-camry-design-analysis/

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20-things-didnt-know-2018-toyota-camry/

·
Registered
383 Posts
The blue color on the 2018 XSE in the pictures appears to be Blue Streak Metallic used on the current 2017 model. This isn't surprising given that Ruby Flare Pearl is the red color for the 2018 as well and will be an extra cost color like it is now. Motor Trend has an article featuring an interview with the car's designer. In it, it states that the black roof option is limited to the white (called Platinum White), silver and blue cars. Another article in Automobile Magazine states that they paint the roof by literally taping off a completed car and spray it separately. As for the red interior, I would look to what Lexus does regarding what exterior colors you can and can't get with a red interior, i.e. you can't get a red car with a red interior, etc. As for the V6 specs, look to the current Highlander and Sienna. The Camry will have the same engine as those. I'm still curious about the lack of fog lamps on the car. I remember my mom's TL back in the day having integrated fog lights in the headlight assembly. I wonder if they're doing the same thing here. However, it seems that Lexus has been ditching fog lights, especially on the F models. Maybe new LED headlight technology makes them irrelevant?
If you look closely at the photos, one of the blue XSEs (the one next to the white one) has the black roof option with the blacked-out trim around the side windows. The other one, on the stage, doesn't have the black roof -- you can see the chrome trim around the side windows.

On the Lexus side, the F-Sport trims usually feature a different pearl white than the non-F-Sports. Will be interesting to see if Toyota does the same -- Platinum White on the XSE and the Toyota-norm Blizzard Pearl on the XLE.

I think the 2015 refresh eliminated fog lights as well. No fog lights on the new Lexus LS or the 2017 Corolla too, regardless of trim. Agree that the LED DRLs may make it redundant; maybe it saves a pound or two too. Or maybe eliminating it allows Toyota to do those huge lower grills without having to worry about a lighting element.

The vertically stacked LEDs for the DRLs on the XLE and XSE struck me as a bit surprising. I would have thought they'd have gone for a thin, pipe-like appearance, like other manufacturers. I'm glad that the turn signals appear to be LEDs, though. Could this be the first Toyota with all LED external lighting?

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
I'm not feeling the front ends on these or the last few years either. The rear end isn't bad looking. Guess I'll be looking to get another 16 years out of my 01.:laugh:
+1 It looks way too cartoonist for a 20K+ car.

I was sure that they'd be smart enough to make me WANT a new Car ... before I NEED a new car. That hood and front end needs to shed at least 100 pounds of excess blubber before I'd want it.

I too shall probably just keep my 09V6 for another 100,000 miles. And surely they'll catch up to the el cheapo base Altima S and put dual exhausts on the "4-bangers."
Looks like Toyota decided to abandon adult auditory that was steady buying Camrys for so many years and wanted to make something "civicish" enough to attract a much much younger auditory. I guess they forgot that high school-college kids don't buy $20K+ family cars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
"OFFICIAL" 8th Gen Discussion Thread

I wonder if I can find someone to make a kit to fit some Lexus rc style fog lights into the xse camry grill.. just wishful thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Does anyone know if Toyota is for sure doing a TRD edition?
Most of that TRD speculation was based on the spy shots with the quad exhaust that turned out to be the XSE V6 model. The Toyota press release mentions four grades: LE, XLE, SE, and XSE. No TRD model mentioned.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Most of that TRD speculation was based on the spy shots with the quad exhaust that turned out to be the XSE V6 model. The Toyota press release mentions four grades: LE, XLE, SE, and XSE. No TRD model mentioned.
Just looking at some photos from Detroit ... even the top of the line XSE will need to be lowered about 1.5" and Borla needs to strategically give it better sound.

Then, if TRD got off their rump and incorporate that Lexus twin turbo 3.5 (kit form) and matching ECU, You would have a TRD Camry!

21 - 40 of 592 Posts
About this Discussion
591 Replies
83 Participants
allserene
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing