Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 593 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most of that TRD speculation was based on the spy shots with the quad exhaust that turned out to be the XSE V6 model. The Toyota press release mentions four grades: LE, XLE, SE, and XSE. No TRD model mentioned.
Just looking at some photos from Detroit ... even the top of the line XSE will need to be lowered about 1.5" and Borla needs to strategically give it better sound.

Then, if TRD got off their rump and incorporate that Lexus twin turbo 3.5 (kit form) and matching ECU, You would have a TRD Camry!
I just wonder if Toyota realizes there is a market for a TRD model/ TRD accessories?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I think Toyota is weaning themselves off TRD as they are focused on innovations like this ... bottom line, they are striving to make their vehicles better and more efficient without aftermarket support.

Heck ... they even have fox shocks on TRD Tacoma?

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts

So this is the headlight of the 4 banger SE camry.. so the Camry is known for having daytime running lights. On this camry the high beam and the low beam have been place in the same projector. I think it would be an excessive work load for one projector to have the high beam and low beam along with the daytime running light. I see no led strip or anything. Well when ya think about it the corolla Le has the same amount going on with the high and low beam placed together with the daytime running light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
389 Posts
^ I see a projector on the left (low beam) and reflector (DRL and high beam).
Or is the right side of the module the turn signal? It looks a little amber-ish, but maybe it's just the lighting in the photo.

On the XLE/XSE in the YouTube videos and the spy photos, the strip under the right side of the module (the LED DRLs on those models) is the turn signal (appears to be LEDs too).

Edited to add a couple of YouTube videos:

The first one is a video from some sort of Toyota event at the NY show. Ignore the portrait orientation (how hard is it to turn your phone?). Just past the two minute mark, there's a gray XLE 4-cylinder. Not sure if it's Magnetic Gray, Predawn Gray, or some other gray. It has the ivory or beige lether interior (really like that contrasting color combination -- gray outside, beige inside).

The second video is from the Toronto auto show and has a blue XLE Hybrid. I still don't like that shade of blue, whatever it is.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
^^^

Nice vids.

Another thing noticed is if you have one exhaust pipe, the rear diffuser compensates for the second exhaust opening unlike the 7.5ers

Probably the only reason I chose the V6 on the current model.

Now after driving the V6 probably never go back to a 4, but the new I4 seems pretty potent.

I think the eight generation is going to set sales records!

·
Registered
61 Posts
How long after the release so you guys think the prices will go down? And when will Toyota offers the 0% apr for 72 months + $1,500 cash back on the 2018 Camry that it's currently offering? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
When I bought one of the first 2012 Camrys back in the Fall of 2011, they were already giving away $1000 bonus cash but that was after the mysterious acceleration issues associated with the previous version. As for the 2018 Camry, I posted a link to an article below where Jim Lentz, CEO of Toyota North America, stated they won't use incentives just to drive market share. I assume that means less incentives for the time being, and if sales take a hit, they'll do whatever it takes to stay #1. There seems to be quite a fair amount of demand for the new car, and if that's the case, it unfortunately will come down to supply and demand. I plan on getting a 2018 XSE V6 to replace my 2012 SE V6, so I guess I'll find out soon if they're dealing or not. As for engine specs, the V6 engine/transmission combo that will be used is already in the RX350, Highlander, and Sienna. The 4 cylinder and hybrid engine are supposedly brand new so there's no way to tell what those specs will be as of yet.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170116/OEM03/301169957/2018-camry:-the-more-things-change-…

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I bought one of the first 2012 Camrys back in the Fall of 2011, they were already giving away $1000 bonus cash but that was after the mysterious acceleration issues associated with the previous version. As for the 2018 Camry, I posted a link to an article below where Jim Lentz, CEO of Toyota North America, stated they won't use incentives just to drive market share. I assume that means less incentives for the time being, and if sales take a hit, they'll do whatever it takes to stay #1. There seems to be quite a fair amount of demand for the new car, and if that's the case, it unfortunately will come down to supply and demand. I plan on getting a 2018 XSE V6 to replace my 2012 SE V6, so I guess I'll find out soon if they're dealing or not. As for engine specs, the V6 engine/transmission combo that will be used is already in the RX350, Highlander, and Sienna. The 4 cylinder and hybrid engine are supposedly brand new so there's no way to tell what those specs will be as of yet.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170116/OEM03/301169957/2018-camry:-the-more-things-change-…

Same here.. bought the 2012 camry se v6 and really liking the 2018 xse camry v6... really thinking about trading in for this car.. just hope it comes in at the same price point as the 2012 se v6, which was considered top of the line back then.

·
Registered
339 Posts
A fully loaded 2017 Camry XSE V6 has a MSRP of $34,215. I would expect to see the pricing for a loaded 2018 XSE V6 be in the $35-36K range. Anything more, and it would be priced as much as a base model Lexus IS, and I'm sure that Toyota doesn't want to cannibalize sales. Although, that's probably already going to happen since the Camry will be a much better value for the money (Direct-Injected 3.5L V6, TNGA, etc.), and all you're paying for is the name and rear/all wheel drive with the Lexus. $37K only gets you a Lexus IS with the turbo 4, no options and rear wheel drive. The Kelley Blue Book trade-in value for my 2012 SE V6 with all options and 80K miles is in the $10K range.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
I spoke to someone who have seen a 2018 XLE in person at the presentation at the beginning of April. He said that in reality the 2018 looks kind of long and low and side windows look very disproportional. The area where the A-pillar meets the fender and the rear door smaller triangular window-C-pillar area looks weird. He liked the design of the interior a lot, but the materials and some things left pretty questionable emotions. The interior made out of different kinds of plastic, door cards look so-so, the door handles are smaller than before, the center armrest is too low and the center storage still missing a shelf for small things. The lower right angle of the dash between the center tunnel and the dash looks good, but you can't position the left knee comfortably. There are a lot of black "lacquer" surfaces that getting covered with finger prints way too easy and already have been covered in light "finger nail" scratches. The seat cushions are still too short and the rear center tunnel is much higher than on the gen 7. Because of the lower seating position and taller trunk line the rear view is worth than in the gen 7.
Overall, according to that person, the car left a rather mixed impression and lacks the sportiness and luxury feel Toyota has been talking about.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Any idea when these will ship yet? Family member is tossing around the idea of leasing a car to replace one that was totaled, and is kind of attracted to the deals on a 7th gen (like $10 more a month with $100 less down than a Corolla or iM). They may wait a little bit but I'd prefer if it wasn't forever as they'll be in one of my vehicles in the mean time. After owning two seventh gens and getting stuck in one for a month mere weeks after trading my last one for my truck I'm kind of burned out on them, I'd rather not see another in the driveway.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Any idea when these will ship yet? Family member is tossing around the idea of leasing a car to replace one that was totaled, and is kind of attracted to the deals on a 7th gen (like $10 more a month with $100 less down than a Corolla or iM). They may wait a little bit but I'd prefer if it wasn't forever as they'll be in one of my vehicles in the mean time. After owning two seventh gens and getting stuck in one for a month mere weeks after trading my last one for my truck I'm kind of burned out on them, I'd rather not see another in the driveway.
They keep saying available "late summer." I was reading a forum post from a guy who works at the Georgetown plant and he said they will go into full-scale production in June.

41 - 60 of 593 Posts