Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this will be the official thread for the OEM Brake upgrades as there is STILL so much confusion on it.

And pleas,e if I make an error, correct me and I'll change/add it.

Front Brakes

3 ways to go with this.

1: Ericsol (sp33d) Caliper relocation brackets to fit the Supra TT rotors.
-You NEED a minimum 17" wheel. Some 17's, due to design, will not work though.
-You may need a grinder/file for the caliper, caliper bracket, OR both. Depending on what brakes and what Gen Camry you have, it's different.
-This works on both the Gen 3/4 and Sol Gen 1 with V6 calipers/brackets.

2a: OEM Twin Piston front calipers can be used on both the Gen 4 Cam and Gen 1 Sol. You can also swap the single piston for a twin piston on the Gen 3 V6. For this, you need the following:
-Caliper, Caliper Bracket, Gen 3 V6 brake pads, Gen 3 banjo bolt (brake line to caliper bolt), new washers for the brake line, brake fluid.
-Your original brake line can be used, or you can upgrade to SS lines. It's up to you.
-Gen 3/4 Cam and Gen 1 Sol use the SAME rotors.
-Twin Piston calipers come on: 94-96 Camry V6 (With ABS brakes), 94-96 ES300, and 95-97 (I think 97) Avalon.

2b: V6 brakes on the I4, you need the following:
-Caliper, Caliper Bracket, Pads, Rotor.
-For the backing plate, gently bend the edges all the way around so that it does not hit the rotor.
-For Twin Piston on Gen 3/4 Can and Gen 1 Sol, see 2a above.

3: Ericsol (sp33d) caliper relocation brackets for Supra TT Rotor's AND twin piston Calipers.
-See 2a (For V6) or 2b (For I4), and then install the relocation brackets normally.

Rear Brakes

Ok, I KNOW for a fact this works on the Gen 3, and 90% sure it will on a Gen 4 Camr and Gen 1 Sol as they are nearly identicle fo rthe rear setup.

1a: Bigger rear rotors (Same idea as the Ericsol kit, but it's OEM). Parts Needed (if current rear setup is disc brakes):
-92-96 ES300 or Camry V6 wagon caliper BRACKET and Rotor. Thats all that I know of. Your current caliper should work fine, but I;m not sure, at all, untill people do it and give confirmation.
-Bend the backing plate gently around the edges so it does not hit the edges. You CAN easily swap in the ES300 backing plate if you have that, and then no bending required.
-Hubs are the same

1b: Bigger rear rotors (Same idea as the Ericsol kit, but it's OEM). Parts Needed (if current rear setup is drum brakes):
-92-96 ES300 or Gen 3 Wagon V6 backing plate with all parking brake pieces, caliper, caliper bracket, rotor, brake pads, AND parking brake cable (Yes the druma nd disc cables are different).
-Hubs are the same

Reactions: animated_zombie

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
clear and concise- stickied :thumbup:

·
Let The Awakening Begin
240 Posts
Asg14 Good stuff,

but where am i gonna find those Ericsol relocation brackets? Sounds like they are readily available from your post?
I have searched, but with no luck.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ They are only available used right now. I think something like 20 or 30 sets (in 2 different batches) were ever made. I;m sure sometime this year another batch will be made, as I think there is enough interest on it. Your more likely to find a set of used ones on www.SolaraGuy.com then here.

·
deviate from the absolute
92 toyota camry
4,910 Posts
those ericsol adapters are hard shit to find, the only reasons to get rid of them is A sold the car, and B BBK....I like the latter personally

·
Registered
93 Posts
Awesome job ASG14!:thumbsup:

BTW, How are rear hubs different on drum vs disk? When I did my swap on my '92, I kept all my original hubs and everything else bolted right up and spun freely. They're still on there. Is it maybe only ABS hubs that are different? :confused:( I took my parts from a non-ABS '96. ) Or are they a disaster waiting to happen?:eek:

·
Registered
98' Camry
428 Posts
you misspelled please* ;)

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome job ASG14!:thumbsup:

BTW, How are rear hubs different on drum vs disk? When I did my swap on my '92, I kept all my original hubs and everything else bolted right up and spun freely. They're still on there. Is it maybe only ABS hubs that are different? :confused:( I took my parts from a non-ABS '96. ) Or are they a disaster waiting to happen?:eek:
Hubs are the same. Only diff is ABS vs Non ABS hubs. If you use Non-ABS hubs on an ABS car, you won;t have working ABS and the ABS light will go on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
^
Thanks! That's what I thought.

Has anyone tried adapting rwd Lexus calipers onto a Camry? Or is it a no-go for some reason that would be obvious if I had 1 to look at and measure?

It just seems like a waste performance-wise to use the Ericsol brackets cuz you still end up with the same swept area on the rotor as stock, plus more unsprung weight, only benefit seems like a larger heatsink in the bigger rotor.

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
^
Thanks! That's what I thought.

Has anyone tried adapting rwd Lexus calipers onto a Camry? Or is it a no-go for some reason that would be obvious if I had 1 to look at and measure?

It just seems like a waste performance-wise to use the Ericsol brackets cuz you still end up with the same swept area on the rotor as stock, plus more unsprung weight, only benefit seems like a larger heatsink in the bigger rotor.

Main key benefit is the caliper being farther from the center of the wheel.. More torque/holding power for the same caliper. You will notice a significant improvement at higher speeds when wheel speeds increase, thus, making them improve high speed braking rather than low speed braking. I just installed mine, and there was definitely an improvement in my case.

Second is a larger heatsink, and that means you can abuse the hell out of your brakes, and your rotors probably won't warp with an OE sized caliper. My stock rotors used to warp every year, and all it took was several 160 mph - 60 mph hard stops and the rotors were done.

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
^ They are only available used right now. I think something like 20 or 30 sets (in 2 different batches) were ever made. I;m sure sometime this year another batch will be made, as I think there is enough interest on it. Your more likely to find a set of used ones on www.SolaraGuy.com then here.
I was about to get a batch of 5-10 sets made because I purchased the Ericsol brackets from UFoZ a long while ago... Just before installation, I sent the brackets to get the specs to my CNC guy, and then brought them back to install it on my Camry.

However, upon installation, I noticed the brackets were not bolt-on at all. It took a lot of grinding to make them work with my '94 Camry V6 w/ ABS (2-piston OE calipers), and some of the hardware needed modifications as well (A few bolts needed a portion grinded down) All of a sudden, I had to put a stop to the production run and figure out some new drawings for the brackets.

Right now, I have those modded EricSol brackets on my Camry and putting some street miles on it to make sure everything works perfectly. Around summer time, I will be doing the pads on the Camry and I will take those brackets out and get them duplicated by my CNC guy. I am also in the midst of trying to get Supra TT calipers to work with the Camry as well because I see a potential for them to fit.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tony, I did a Gen 3 front brakes to V6 front twin piston and Ericsol kit upgrade on Durrby's car in January. I know what you mean by the grinding. I think it took 4 hours to finally get it all done!

IF you can get a bracket made to use the TT Calipers as well, that would be absolutly great. :)

·
Boost n' Juice Maniac
2000 Camry v6 5speed
600 Posts
Or since the Supra TT Calipers are hella expensive and hard to find used, maybe you could make a bracket to use the readily available LS400 calipers wih the Supra TT rotors... either way would be awesome!

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
Where do I find LS400 calipers? Someone send me a set so I can try it out... I only have TT calipers...lol

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ Gabe (trd4life) has them on his GS300. He should take them off and send them to you, lol.

·
Registered
99 Camry LE
1,776 Posts
i advise anyone that wants braking performance on a i4, cheap or you dont have to go and get BBK. V6 BRAKES! 100-60MPH approx 3~4 secs (well in my car)

Nice write up Adam

·
Let The Awakening Begin
240 Posts
I have an I4,

I wanna know if the v6 conversion measures up to the adapter? Good stoping for a 350hp vehicle.....
Any insight Adam?

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ Not sure exactly what you mean, but I think you mean the way it bolts on? The V6 brakes bolt onto the I4 knuckles. Actually, the I4 and V6 use the SAME knuckle's, so all the same bolts are used. Just need to bend the backing plate (or put the V6 one on). Just basic tools needed.

·
Born to Drive
94 Camry LE
2,826 Posts
^ Not sure exactly what you mean, but I think you mean the way it bolts on? The V6 brakes bolt onto the I4 knuckles. Actually, the I4 and V6 use the SAME knuckle's, so all the same bolts are used. Just need to bend the backing plate (or put the V6 one on). Just basic tools needed.

Amazing thread...

i swear, if i don't sell my camry, I'll save up a few grand and pay adam to come up here to Toronto and help me do all the work I dream for.

engine swap brake swap,tranny swap, supercharger, EVERYTHING :smokin:
dream big...

·
Registered
99 Camry LE
1,776 Posts
he'll be up there in the summer...start saving :lol:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts