Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
tony i look forward to your kit.

and yes i have done this upgrade years ago on my wagon and put 100k on them already and i love em' they give the car a good look. but it does take alot or grinding lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
im sorry if i missed something odvious but im still not 100% sure on somethings, first i think you mentioned it but would it be easy to swap out the rear drums for rear brakes and would this be a big performance gain. second the ericsol kit was said to be hard to find? there's not distributer or web sight we can go to? and if im am doing a I4 to v6 swap is there any aftermarket brake upgrades i could do? BBV was mention.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would like to know if Tony has been able to come up with a kit yet now that summer is just about over. I want to know: what are the differences between the LS400 calipers and Gen3 V6 twin piston calipers? I thought they were supposed to be the same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ya im not sure if their still doing it though i left him a message but still havent heard anything back. you can try your luck. its a really good deal. for the brake relocator kit they have it on sale for $75 dollars i think. then if you want the supra tt rotors i think those are an extra $200 i think. its a really good deal im pretty it comes out to $275. this is at solaraguy.com

·
Boost n' Juice Maniac
2000 Camry v6 5speed
600 Posts
I have one set of the brackets available for $150 shipped

·
Registered
392 Posts
i think we should just contact wilwood and have them spec out a set for the camry.
like a 12.19 in (the size im putting on the civic) was only 580 from corsport.com!!!
but thats for a civic. (4 piston with ultra light 2 piece rotors) a newer civic
im sure we could get in the same price range if not less for 1 piece rotors from them!!! (tho id prefer 2 piece.)

u know what.
SENT!
email sent to wilwood. see what i can get going for the gen 4 (and sounds like gen 4 is the same brakes lol)

·
Registered
392 Posts
i do. but a willwood is a 2 piece rotor and a 4 piston caliper. which in turn means more bite with less drag on your car. 13" means a bigger wheel necessary (more rotational weight) and more weight of the rotor as well. not to mention not as even braking
a 12" wilwood will do way more than any of us could possibly use on a camry.

·
Registered
79 Posts
TRD4LIFE expect a call this weekend... :D
and yes the supra TT brake upgrade is to 13in rotors so its a lil better. if you goin from a i4 camry to V6 TRD S/C boosted its a REALLY good idea.... now dat i think bout it tho id jus take the whole MKIV Supra and be happy :D:D:D

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,695 Posts
just a quick question? I just did the upgrade on my 99 I4, 91 ls 400 calipers,caliper brackets off of a 95 es300, v6 brembo blanks,akebono brake pads. I bent the dust shield back but i have a feeling its still hitting slightly only problem is ive looked and cross checked and from what i could find out the same part number dust shield for the 99 V6 showes up on the 5sfe as well. if i bought new dust shields which ones should i get?

99 v6
LH 47782-06020
RH 47781-06020

95 es300
LH 47782-33020
RH 47781-33020

I got agrivated because i went to the junkyard in tampa and found a 94 1mzfe only problem was after i realized the wheel came off relatively easy (somebody had taken it off and put it back on) was that 1. i need vise grips to get the cotter pin out and 2. i didn't have the 30mm axle nut to get the middle nut off and on top of that the car was off the ground so theres no way i would be able to get the nut off since the wheel will just spin, so i realized i just need to order new ones and break the nut loose on the ground and do it that way

·
Toyota Collector
11,952 Posts
Completed the LS400 upgrade on my ES300 (same as Gen4 Camry) I used:
  • 1992 LS400 calipers
  • 1996 Camry V6 caliper brackets.
  • 1996 Camry V6 Sumitomo brake pads
  • Original banjo bolt, copper washers from a Gen2 Camry
Brakes feel amazing, very worthwhile upgrade. The surface area of the Gen3 pads seem to be slightly larger than the originals, not sure though. Had leaks at the banjo bolt on both sides, what happens is the brake line contacts the caliper and prevents the fitting from sitting flat see image. Bending the line seems to have fixed the problem, although the line is still almost touching the caliper, didn't bend it more for fear of breaking it. I would recommend that the metal part be filed down a couple of millimeters, I didn't feel like pulling the line to grind it down. I wrapped the line with some wire protector to keep it from wearing down as it touches the caliper body.

·
import mech
92 Camry LE
42 Posts
just wanted to add, I pulled the entire brake assemblies off a 96 avalon for my rear drum 92 camry. everything looks to fit up. I do not see avalons mentioned in the first post. this avalon had an automatic v6 and ABS brakes. i also pulled the rear hoses and e brake cables

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just thought I should shared this setup I just finished. Mines is a 93' Camry v6 LE with Camry wagon Two Piston Calipers. Everything bolt in, I replaced the bleeder screw valve and brake banjo crush washer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Highlander big brakes on Gen1 Solara?

Just started researching this today, and am not entirely sure....

Based on info in several threads, i **think** the trick of swapping out the bigger rotors and dual piston calipers onto a Gen1 Solara will work (so long as you run 17" rims or larger), but before son and I start down that part collecting trail, can anyone for sure confirm or disconfirm that?

Thx-- great info all over the board here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 96 2.2 le Camry. Just purchased it about 2 months ago and I like the car a lot, but I'm definitely looking to upgrade the brakes. It appears that swapping in the front calipers from a 94-96 v6 camry is the best bang for the buck. I've tried looking elsewhere for someone who's already done it, but If I were to do that job would I have to be concerned with wheel clearance issues, or swapping the rotors out as well? Or is it essentially just swapping the v6 calipers and pads in? If that's the case, I'm definitely going to do it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
575 Posts
So just to confirm that I understood this right
I have a Gen 4 I4 with the 14" brake setup, the piston is badly corroded, so I can simply get the Gen3 caliper+bracket along with the rotors+pads for the 15"? (same between Gen 3 and Gen 4 V6)

It would bolt right in? Do I need another banjo bolt too? (does it come with the reman calipers form Centric or B/A?) Maybe I should replace it anyway due to rust

21 - 40 of 51 Posts