Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Toyota Collector
11,952 Posts
Get the calipers and brackets from a 1995-1996 Camry or ES. All of this will bolt right up to your car BUT the backing plate aka dust shield will have to be bent* to accommodate the larger rotor. And you'll need 15" wheels to clear the calipers. The banjo bolts are all the same Centric remans don't generally come with them.

*I'm making an assumption here.

For rotors and pads Centric rotors plus Akebono ACT476 makes a great pairing.

Reactions: Daijoubu

·
Registered
575 Posts
No worries about the dust shield, the rust took care of them :)
I have some ES300 15" rims from the previous owner, not sure how lol and my winters are also 15" steelies, so I'm good!

From the pics it looks like the banjo bolt is included
CENTRIC 14144125

And it's all from the same warehouse! The Centric calipers, premium rotors and the Akebono pads :)

It's roughly the same price, about 300 canadian pesos, compared to the small I4 brake setup with B/A 089's Advics/Sumi pads and cheaper than the Gen 4 V6 single piston calipers, I think I'm sold!

Edit: One more thing, does it matter if it's non-ABS and has rear drums?

·
Toyota Collector
11,952 Posts
From the pics it looks like the banjo bolt is included
CENTRIC 14144125
Nice
And it's all from the same warehouse! The Centric calipers, premium rotors and the Akebono pads :)
Love it when that happens.
Edit: One more thing, does it matter if it's non-ABS and has rear drums?
It matters because drums suck. No it doesn't actually matter except you won't be getting the full disc brake goodness, consider doing a rear disc swap at some point. Also your master cylinder is different (smaller bore?) which again means you won't be getting the 100% goodness of the disc brake setup. But still, the brakes will feel and work way better.

Reactions: Daijoubu

·
Registered
575 Posts
Once again impressed by the speed of RA (RA's suppliers that is, I've also had not so good experience with certain warehouses), ordered at 2AM and it shipped out at 2PM Eastern time.
Snatched some $5 Denso oil filters, hoses and rear cylinder (drums and all have been recently-ish replaced, don't think I will be swapping for disk in the rear anytime soon), hopefully rust wont give me too much of a hard time so I can bleed the entire system.

This time it shipped out from Bronx, NY out of Parts Authority, reviews are...soso, good thing is that if I have any problems, I'll be dealing with RA and not the warehouse.
It's also in the east so relatively close to Montreal, but the final leg carrier is Canada Post once it crosses the border, hopefully will get it in time before the next weekend so I can work on it.

Gonna buy some more brake cleaners, brake fluids and synthetic lubricant for the slider pins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When the OP saying "parking brake parts" that means everything after the lever right ? The front cable, both sides, everything, yes ?

Also, to put on the V6 (or ES300 brakes) does this require 15" wheels to clear ?

·
Camreee
'99 Auto V6 Camry
419 Posts
When the OP saying "parking brake parts" that means everything after the lever right ? The front cable, both sides, everything, yes ?

Also, to put on the V6 (or ES300 brakes) does this require 15" wheels to clear ?
I believe you need the entire disc parking brake system if you want a drum to disc conversion to have a functional parking brake.

I'd say probably not, but I'd do some research to verify if they will fit. If I recall correctly the oem 15 inch wheels had about 1cm space from the calipers. 14 inch wheels would be cutting it real close even if they do.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,171 Posts
"Can I reuse the banjo bolt and washer from the I4?" - it depends, is it the same shape and length as the mating parts need? If so, then yes.

Note that if you fit rear disc brakes onto a drum braked car, that you have to also swap the proportioning valve on the firewall too. If you do not, then the rear brake power will actually be reduced by the swap (drum brakes have more initial bite than discs, so the pressure to the rear is turned down).

Also note that rear disc brakes weigh more than the drum brake setup. I was surprised to weigh them side by side and find a several pound difference, in the opposite direction than what I'd expected.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have three 4th gen I-4 cars to drive. Two of them came new with 15" wheels and larger brakes than the one that came with 14" wheels. I am pretty sure the "V6" caliper brackets are exactly the same as the brackets that came on any car with 15" wheels new. I think calling them "v6" brakes is not as accurate as simply calling them "big brakes", as apparently I-4 cars came with two different size brakes.

That said I think ALL stock 4th gen Camry brakes are marginal for REALLY hard stopping, I am talking about stopping as fast as the car will without locking up from eighty mph or faster, maybe even going downhill on a highway ramp. The i-4 cars I have with the larger brakes and rotors that just barely fit into the es300 wheels I found for the one car fade badly when abused, they are not ever going to be racing brakes.

If I can not stomp on the brakes and stop from very high speeds at the limit of the brakes without them fading and feeling like crap as they certainly do, then I am not going to be happy and a swap will not be worth the time. I have a 3/4 ton GMC cargo van and THAT thing has real brakes on it, it is literally violent if I stomp on the brakes hard, it feels like the vehicle is either going to flip over or tear the suspension arms right off the vehicle! THAT is the kind of braking I want on the Camry !!!

I got a set of "V6" brackets from a salvage yard for my 14" wheel car, but after seeing they are just the same brackets that will work with the same size rotors as my 15" wheel I-4 cars came with new, I am not so enthusiastic about them at all. I think the main problem with 4th gen camry brakes is not the calipers if they can all be made to fade when stomped on hard at high speed. I think the cars need some larger rotors or something else that will handle a LOT of heat without warping and fading and feeling like garbage. As long as you are using a Camry, Lexus, Avalon rotor, then swapping to a different caliper is not going to ever give anyone real good performance out of the brakes.
I think rear discs are a waste of time too, as under REALLY hard braking there is almost NO weight on the back of the car anyway, if a car has really good front brakes you could lose the rear brakes and never miss them at all. The one guy above said how the disc rears weight MORE than the drums, that is because with the "disk" rear brakes yes you have a disk, but the emergency brake is just a small drum brake setup anyway, so now you have both, lots of extra complication and weight and more things to fix and maintain.

Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have three 4th gen I-4 cars to drive. Two of them came new with 15" wheels and larger brakes than the one that came with 14" wheels. I am pretty sure the "V6" caliper brackets are exactly the same as the brackets that came on any car with 15" wheels new. I think calling them "v6" brakes is not as accurate as simply calling them "big brakes", as apparently I-4 cars came with two different size brakes.
Yes. I found out the hard way that the 99 14" wheels don't clear my 00 calipers, which come with 15" wheels.
THAT was annoying. Gotta love the differences between Gen 4 and 4.5.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts