Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4261 Posts

·
Mr. Roo
10,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I know I'm not the only one here who loves to work on more than just cars! Post up pics of your home and yard projects. I'm definitely gonna share everything I do this year and in the future. Hopefully, we can inspire each other with ideas and motivation.

(PS, this thread was created by copying posts out of the "Random Thoughts" thread)

·
7,424 Posts

Finally got the guest bedroom lights done. Never mind my girl growling in the background. She was taking a bath and was playing :) Royal Pacific led's in Juno cans --

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-8550WH-WW-Recessed-Retrofit-6-Inch/dp/B00BYQEKUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395622147&sr=8-1&keywords=royal+pacific+8550[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Juno-Lighting-IC22W-Universal-Incandescent/dp/B004AHLOSG/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1395622347&sr=1-1&keywords=juno+ic+22w[/ame]

I bought them from a local supply house. Amazon is high on the lights and low on the cans.

This is the fancy switch. -- [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MOIDA8/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
The fancy one is a seven position dimmer with a memory and 10 second countdown feature. I put this setup in every bedroom, I like it a lot :)

·
7,424 Posts
Any way to run wires? Home Depot has some that don't need cans iirc. I'll see if I can find them.

I believe this is the one I was thinking of. It can be mounted on a 4inch junction box. It's not as nice or as bright as the Royal Pacific but they seem like a good light from looking at them in the store. They are my choice for down stairs if I can't use one of the others.

·
7,424 Posts
I would have to look but I think I paid $60 for the can and the light. I've put in 8 and paid the electrician for the first 4 in our bedroom. I looked at the receipt again the other day. $1182 for those lights & labor & a couple other things. In the eight I did I have about $700 with 250 ft of romex, fancy switches, boxes, cover plates etc.

·
Mr. Roo
10,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have to look but I think I paid $60 for the can and the light. I've put in 8 and paid the electrician for the first 4 in our bedroom. I looked at the receipt again the other day. $1182 for those lights & labor & a couple other things. In the eight I did I have about $700 with 250 ft of romex, fancy switches, boxes, cover plates etc.
I've actually decided that I'll just run two lights in each room, one on each of the two short sides, instead of one in each corner. That way, the wiring stays all in the same joist space.

·
Mr. Roo
10,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-qWoHEuT8Y

Finally got the guest bedroom lights done. Never mind my girl growling in the background. She was taking a bath and was playing :) Royal Pacific led's in Juno cans --

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-8550WH-WW-Recessed-Retrofit-6-Inch/dp/B00BYQEKUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395622147&sr=8-1&keywords=royal+pacific+8550

http://www.amazon.com/Juno-Lighting-IC22W-Universal-Incandescent/dp/B004AHLOSG/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1395622347&sr=1-1&keywords=juno+ic+22w

I bought them from a local supply house. Amazon is high on the lights and low on the cans.

This is the fancy switch. -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MOIDA8/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The fancy one is a seven position dimmer with a memory and 10 second countdown feature. I put this setup in every bedroom, I like it a lot :)
Well that didn't take long! I got some materials and did one of the rooms today! Inspired by you lol.

I ended up getting a case of 6 of the cheapest "remodel" 6" cans, it came to like $8 a can. Nice! Then I got 6 3500k 65-watt equivalent Halo LED trims, only using 9 watts each.

Install was pretty easy. The existing light was perfectly in the center of the room, so it was easy to place the two cans 3' from the wall. Cut the two holes using the templates, then feed the wire through the existing box to the new holes. Plug in the cans, shove them in the ceiling and clip them into place. Then nut all the wires together with the original light (a huge pain) and install the 3 lights. Done! Took 2 hours though. But the result was phenominal, just like I imagined it. The room looks so much better now, the existing light was terrible (I regretted buying it lol, maybe I'll replace it one day).

Can't wait to do the other 2 rooms now! :D Thanks for the inspiration HD

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
What did I do this weekend. Saturday went to work, got off early, dug out a tree in the backyard and used the truck to pull it out. Removed the satellite that I installed when I was 14, which was mounted like 6 ft high lol, still got perfect signal.

Next weekend I'll mount it on the roof above the garage and wire it directly to the main cable wire instead of having a cable running the length of the patio and wired straight to the receiver in the family room.

Motion detection light I installed last weekend.

·
Mr. Roo
10,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ nice, is it LED? I installed a 3-head LED motion-sensitive light a while ago. It sure is bright lol

Looks great! I'm glad there wasn't anything blocking your wire run. You would have been cursing me & asking yourself "what did I get myself into" if there was.
Oh, well I knew what was up there, because we had the house built from scratch. But I almost ran into a problem because of a drain pipe.... well I made the light fit with a hammer lol.

Got another room finished! Same thing, didn't take quite 2 hours this time, since the ceiling fan supports it's own weight when it comes down off the ceiling (no need to hold it up while wiring). Only problem in here was that I discovered that the joists were not installed straight lol.... I have about 1mm clearance on one side of one light :lol:

But it's cool, because the ceiling fan light turns off and you can see just the 2 LED lights on.

These things are awesome, I want to put them everywhere lol

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Yeah, I love the 2-LED motion lights that Costco has. I put up two of them. Price was very good when comparing to the depot (about half the cost). The only thing I don't like is that there's a 1-second delay after it senses motion before it turns on. I had one of them in the back by our slider in the dining room and I would stick my hand out first to trigger it. Didn't like the delay. I don't want to step out and be surprised by a skunk, raccoon, or bear.

·
7,424 Posts
I put up one a couple weeks ago that was $69 from Lowes. It is instant from a crossing object but takes a half second to "see" something coming straight on to it. This means when I pull in the driveway its fine but when the wife backs out in the morning from straight under it it takes a half second. No big deal.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,762 Posts
Yeah, I love the 2-LED motion lights that Costco has. I put up two of them. Price was very good when comparing to the depot (about half the cost). The only thing I don't like is that there's a 1-second delay after it senses motion before it turns on. I had one of them in the back by our slider in the dining room and I would stick my hand out first to trigger it. Didn't like the delay. I don't want to step out and be surprised by a skunk, raccoon, or bear.
is that the solar powered one I saw at Costco? Or is it grid power?

1 - 20 of 4261 Posts
About this Discussion
4.3K Replies
48 Participants
Corrolla clone
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing