Toyota Nation Forum banner

4221 - 4240 of 4261 Posts

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,762 Posts
You want to know what I've found to be the cheapest, most effective, yet ecologically sound bug spray?: Mineral oil. No bullshit, follow....

Years ago I bought a bug spray--the kind you attach a spray bottle with the bug liquid to your hose--at Armstrong Garden shop called Safer Insecticidal Soap. Shit was the bomb. Downside was it was expensive. Me being me, I thought I'd look into the product and see if I could find it cheaper or else produce something similar myself. I took a look at the ingredients right off and found it was like 90% "vegetable oil" and the remainder water. Digging deeper it turned out the oil was actually mineral oil. Well, after that, I started buying mineral oil bottles at Walmart for $1 per 16 oz., used that to refill my Safer bottle, and it was certainly the same damn thing only ten times cheaper. I've never looked back.

I use mineral oil from the sprayer on everything from tomato hornworms to rose aphids, and everything in between. Clean, effective, cheap, and safe around kids and animals. How can you go wrong?
How about vegetable oil? Don't think i ever use mineral oil.

Ya, I don't have such oil and never needed. I'll stick with vegi.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Agreed. Also, mineral oil is odorless and hypoallergenic. Stick with the tried and true. I'll vouch for it as I've used it for years on everything from tomatoes to my orange trees, killing all forms of critters and hurting nothing plant-wise it's ever touched.

·
5,762 Posts
Agreed. Also, mineral oil is odorless and hypoallergenic. Stick with the tried and true. I'll vouch for it as I've used it for years on everything from tomatoes to my orange trees, killing all forms of critters and hurting nothing plant-wise it's ever touched.
I've been using dish soap to kill critters. Have you try dish soap?

I have problem with ants in my house walls. Been looking for ways to kill them. Borax is useless with these ants. I put down loads of borax powder and they just walk over the borax.

·
5,762 Posts
I'd be a full time RV'er if I had that set up.
Had you done RV?

I am not sure I'll do a full RV if I do have it, like the toilet/shower thing is an issue. Another is an address for mail and stuff, those PO box just not enough IMO.

Still it would be great to not have to pay property tax and all that shit.

·
7,424 Posts
I am full time half the time. A big rig like mine has a bigger shower than the one off my master bedroom at home. Ceramic shitter as well. Oak cabinets, corian counter, oak floor. I give up nothing comfort wise.

When I retire I plan to sell our house and move into our smaller cheaper house officially. Go full time in a newer RV with some slides for a few years with trips back home once in awhile. Always buying used so the cost and depreciation is mostly already some other guys mistake. When we get tired of it sell it and the house and buy a condo somewhere. No yard work etc. Probably wherever my girls ends up with her family.

That's the plan anyway.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
I am full time half the time. A big rig like mine has a bigger shower than the one off my master bedroom at home. Ceramic shitter as well. Oak cabinets, corian counter, oak floor. I give up nothing comfort wise.

When I retire I plan to sell our house and move into our smaller cheaper house officially. Go full time in a newer RV with some slides for a few years with trips back home once in awhile. Always buying used so the cost and depreciation is mostly already some other guys mistake. When we get tired of it sell it and the house and buy a condo somewhere. No yard work etc. Probably wherever my girls ends up with her family.

That's the plan anyway.
That's what my sister and BIL plan to do.

·
5,762 Posts

That's the plan anyway.
What is the down side of an RV? I never own one, so only know it through research.

·
Registered
808 Posts

That's the plan anyway.
I have some friends that have been doing just that for over 15+ years now. They winter in southern Texas, then spend the summer in Wisconsin. He keeps his old VW in a hanger during the time they're in Texas. He's got a really nice bus (like hd has), and they pull their Honda Accord behind it (has AC for when they're in Texas). They're actually looking at selling their coach, and getting either a condo, or a small house, as they're finally getting tired of being gypsies (as they call it). My dad did that for 8 years after he retired. He just had a class A motorhome, but went to Alaska several times (even has a picture of him and Sara Palin in front of the governor's house in Anchorage). He loved it up there in the summer, then spent the winter (Nov thru April) in Corpus Christi , before moving back to his place in northern Texas for a few months (waiting for the northern states to warm up). He spent several summers at our place here in Michigan. Seemed he was always traveling.

·
Registered
808 Posts
What is the down side of an RV? I never own one, so only know it through research.
Buying fuel to move it down the road, RV park space, and tires dry rotting are the 3 that I know of right off hand.
As far as your mail, just have it sent to the RV park you're staying at. Once you find a place (area) that you might want to call home, then get a PO box, so they can forward your mail. It's not that big of deal.

·
7,424 Posts
I can tell you I won't let mail stop me from anything. Doctors appointments will be what dictates what you can do more than likely.

Downsides are cost and upkeep. In a big diesel pusher everything is expensive and you have a lot fewer options to have them fixed. With a fifth wheel and truck to pull it you van get a new truck anytime you want and put it in any Ford,Chevy shop etc.

Truthfully most folks are better off getting a wyndom card and staying in hotels etc. Unless you go full time it makes no sense to spend 100 grand on a rig with 7mpg and semi drivetrain and commensurate expenses.

They are hella nice toys though :D

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
#1 reason?: Using the toilet judiciously so that you are forced to pump out the septic system as few times as possible. No play on words intended, but what a monumental pain in the butt.

·
7,424 Posts
That's not an issue with big rigs. Perhaps smaller ones where you try to never use hookups. Plenty of apps to find dump stations and most campgrounds will let you dump for free or cheap.

·
5,762 Posts
That's not an issue with big rigs. Perhaps smaller ones where you try to never use hookups. Plenty of apps to find dump stations and most campgrounds will let you dump for free or cheap.
How about water for drinking and shower etc?

I don't think electricity is an issue right since the generate in the engine always have extra?

·
7,424 Posts
I have a 100 gallon tank and a diesel generator. I also have solar on the roof. Yes 100 gallons of water will not last your entire lifetime. Yes you will need to dump tanks and get water. I can go a week without hookups showering every day if I'm careful.
I usually buy a month in a park so it's exactly like your house.

·
5,762 Posts
I have a 100 gallon tank and a diesel generator. I also have solar on the roof. Yes 100 gallons of water will not last your entire lifetime. Yes you will need to dump tanks and get water. I can go a week without hookups showering every day if I'm careful.
I usually buy a month in a park so it's exactly like your house.
Couldn't you collect rain water or something to extend your hookup to replenish your supply? Couldn't your solar charge your vehicle while you drives? :D

I'm half kidding and half serious. Cause they always want to make a vehicle that run strait from solar and don't need to fill gas.

4221 - 4240 of 4261 Posts
About this Discussion
4.3K Replies
48 Participants
Corrolla clone
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing