Toyota Nation Forum banner

4241 - 4260 of 4261 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have a 100 gallon tank and a diesel generator. I also have solar on the roof. Yes 100 gallons of water will not last your entire lifetime. Yes you will need to dump tanks and get water. I can go a week without hookups showering every day if I'm careful.
I usually buy a month in a park so it's exactly like your house.
Yup, even the smaller ones like my dad's Class A have a generator in them. His is built on a 2006 Chevy 1 ton van chassis. Has a huge bed in the back, kinda small bathroom, dining room seats fold out to become a bed, plus there's the over the roof bed (all 3 are full size). One or 2 people could live comfortably in it for a summer, or winter if needed. Him and his dog would spend 3 months in Alaska, and part of a month getting there or returning. He was never in any hurry. While it's not as comfortable as hd's set up, it costs less to own and operate. ;)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Couldn't you collect rain water or something to extend your hookup to replenish your supply? Couldn't your solar charge your vehicle while you drives? :D

I'm half kidding and half serious. Cause they always want to make a vehicle that run strait from solar and don't need to fill gas.
It would be a waste of time, unless you're planning on staying somewhere for a long time. Most RV parks have water, sewer, and electricity in their sites. Hd's solar panel(s) are probably used to charge/keep charged the "house batteries" (for power when not running the generator or the buses engine). That's how most are set up.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I can tell you I won't let mail stop me from anything. Doctors appointments will be what dictates what you can do more than likely.
Truthfully most folks are better off getting a wyndom card and staying in hotels etc. Unless you go full time it makes no sense to spend 100 grand on a rig with 7mpg and semi drivetrain and commensurate expenses.

They are hella nice toys though :D
That's what I would be looking at (the Wyndom card), as you nailed it. Unless you're full time, it's not really worth going thru all the trouble. In hd's case, he's living in it for work (a month or more at a time). Since he already has it, why not use it.
And like he says, Dr appointments WILL determine when you are going somewhere. My dad would plan his leaving for somewhere around them, either before or after.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
What kinds of bugs? Mine get aphids and they produce black sooty mold, but I don't really know what to do about them.
I don't know but they leave what looks like white mold on them, supposedly it's actually their droppings. I went to a place that sells plants with a picture of what I thought was mold on the trees then they explained it was droppings from bugs and knew what poison to give me so that's what I'd say you need to do as well. I mixed as directed and poured around the tree base expanding outward a couple feet. The roots soak the poison into the tree within a week then when the bugs eat from the tree they die similar to fleas dying after feeding on treated pets.

Kev I just read your post after replying to Gold. Great thinking and advice there on your part. The 1ga of poison I got was around $40 and I have yet to read the ingredients. The bugs have spread to my other trees so they will be getting dealt with.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
I don't know but they leave what looks like white mold on them, supposedly it's actually their droppings. I went to a place that sells plants with a picture of what I thought was mold on the trees then they explained it was droppings from bugs and knew what poison to give me so that's what I'd say you need to do as well. I mixed as directed and poured around the tree base expanding outward a couple feet. The roots soak the poison into the tree within a week then when the bugs eat from the tree they die similar to fleas dying after feeding on treated pets.

Kev I just read your post after replying to Gold. Great thinking and advice there on your part. The 1ga of poison I got was around $40 and I have yet to read the ingredients. The bugs have spread to my other trees so they will be getting dealt with.
Works like a charm. I swear by mineral oil for any plant. Never had an issue, and only the bugs die. :)

·
3,410 Posts
I did - the brushes were worn. I took pics but have not transferred them off my phone yet, so will post up tomorrow.

LATER:

Well, posted it up there. You can see the piece parts. Will try to replace the brushes, see what happens.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,762 Posts
I did - the brushes were worn. I took pics but have not transferred them off my phone yet, so will post up tomorrow.

LATER:

Well, posted it up there. You can see the piece parts. Will try to replace the brushes, see what happens.
Where r the pics?

See it.. that's a motor. To me, actuator is a push magnet thing. No brush.

How the brush get worn so fast? Press too hard? Motor spins too long? Brush metal too soft?

·
3,410 Posts
These units/assemblies are called "lock actuators". The actuator has the motor inside it. Most everyone swaps out the entire actuator instead of replacing the motor inside it. Best I can guess they wear fast due to lock/unlock cycles. The more you lock/unlock, the faster it will wear out. May be using cheap brushes.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,762 Posts
These units/assemblies are called "lock actuators". The actuator has the motor inside it. Most everyone swaps out the entire actuator instead of replacing the motor inside it. Best I can guess they wear fast due to lock/unlock cycles. The more you lock/unlock, the faster it will wear out. May be using cheap brushes.
No... your vehicle is the utmost important so they uses expensive metal like gold. Lol

Jk. If i were u i would only change out that shoe. Use something more reliable to safe myself the trouble of keep taking it apart cause sounds like urs worn out too early foe ur usage.

·
3,410 Posts
Fixed my garage fridge/freezer today. It's around 20 years old (bought it off a company I worked for that went under a bit over 16 years ago, I bought it new for that company back in the late 90's) but has been a super trooper. Gets beer so cold they will ice! Anyway, from what I can tell now some screws fell out of a panel that has a thermal wire run behind it. It is this panel here between the freezer and the fridge compartments:

Those two bolts with the screw heads to the upper right of the Sam Adams Summer Ale were missing. This allowed the panel to gap and some air to leak. Over time ice built up under that freezer bottom tray and pushed it forward, further making a gap in the door. I was noticing water in the bottom of the fridge and figured I would just need to get a new one, seeing as how old it is. Eventually it stated making a hell of a racket, like the internal fan was hitting something. I figured it was ice. So I threw out the little bit of stuff in the freezer and removed the doors. I took an existing screw and matched its size and pitch/thread (10-32 or M5 x 0.8. I went with 10-32). Once the ice was gone the bottom panel was not out past the door like it was, proof that ice had built up and expanded it forward.

I could not get the holes to line up as the sides of the fridge were expanded outward a bit. So I ran to Harbor Freight and picked up two 36" clamps. I clamped the sides above that cross section and got the holes to line up properly. Set the screws, put the doors back on, and everything seals up perfectly. No noise from the fan. Letting it cool down now and will see if water gets to the bottom again. I will freeze a small clear cup of water and place a penny on top and see if the penny moves downthe cup, hence telling me the freezer keeps defrosting and icing back up.

Back together and cooling down:

It's a garage fridge, perfect for what it does. And I was not looking forward to dumping a few hundred bucks for a replacement (was going to find a cosmetically damaged one for cheaper price). Combining this job and my door actuator motor fix I "saved" at least $700 this weekend DIY'ing it. Yeah Boi.

·
Registered
808 Posts

LATER:

I see the site is still working as it's designed. :rolleyes: 🤦‍♀️

·
Registered
808 Posts
Fixed my garage fridge/freezer today. It's around 20 years old (bought it off a company I worked for that went under a bit over 16 years ago, I bought it new for that company back in the late 90's) but has been a super trooper. Gets beer so cold they will ice! Anyway, from what I can tell now some screws fell out of a panel that has a thermal wire run behind it. It is this panel here between the freezer and the fridge compartments:

View attachment 283143

Those two bolts with the screw heads to the upper right of the Sam Adams Summer Ale were missing. This allowed the panel to gap and some air to leak. Over time ice built up under that freezer bottom tray and pushed it forward, further making a gap in the door. I was noticing water in the bottom of the fridge and figured I would just need to get a new one, seeing as how old it is. Eventually it stated making a hell of a racket, like the internal fan was hitting something. I figured it was ice. So I threw out the little bit of stuff in the freezer and removed the doors. I took an existing screw and matched its size and pitch/thread (10-32 or M5 x 0.8. I went with 10-32). Once the ice was gone the bottom panel was not out past the door like it was, proof that ice had built up and expanded it forward.

I could not get the holes to line up as the sides of the fridge were expanded outward a bit. So I ran to Harbor Freight and picked up two 36" clamps. I clamped the sides above that cross section and got the holes to line up properly. Set the screws, put the doors back on, and everything seals up perfectly. No noise from the fan. Letting it cool down now and will see if water gets to the bottom again. I will freeze a small clear cup of water and place a penny on top and see if the penny moves downthe cup, hence telling me the freezer keeps defrosting and icing back up.

Back together and cooling down:

View attachment 283144

It's a garage fridge, perfect for what it does. And I was not looking forward to dumping a few hundred bucks for a replacement (was going to find a cosmetically damaged one for cheaper price). Combining this job and my door actuator motor fix I "saved" at least $700 this weekend DIY'ing it. Yeah Boi.
Nice job. I probably need to do something like that to mine, as it ices up the coil in the fridge half. But then I know it's probably close to 30 years old, as I've had over 23 years myself (as a garage fridge).

·
3,410 Posts
Last home improvements for the weekend. Been a busy day!

My rock fountain had gotten overrun by a load of algae. I had stopped putting the additive in it when I read on it that it could be bad for the dogs; well, they drink out of the fountain every time they go outside so I figured I needed to do something else. So I got a huge coating of algae then thought fuq it I'll add a little so I can kill it. It killed the algae alright. Made the rock black. Looked awful. Last night my BIL and his wife were over for dinner and he helped me pick it up and move it off to the side so I could power wash it today. I knew the water pit would be full of crap and did not want to blast all the dead algae back into the pool. So, this afternoon was project fix rock fountain.

I have no before pics, it was just me and I was racing a storm coming in. But this beautiful rock was full on solid black:

This is the after shot, you can still see some black staining but it gives it more character.

Anyway, pulled all the rocks out, drained out the water, and kept adding water to scoop out all the sand and little rocks that made it in there over the last 1.5 years or so. That water pit is about 23" in the Z axis (deep), about 24" in the X axis, and about 19" in the Y axis. Give or take. Holds a shit ton of water. I cleaned it all out, cleaned the rocks, cleaned the crap out of the pump, adjusted the holes I had in the water box that the rock sits on (where the pump hose runs from the left side up to the middle of the rock). I power washed the rock for awhile and got most of the dead crap off. Once it was all ready to get back together I had to figure out how to get that 150 lb or so rock back in place, with the hose through the middle.

So I used my 1,000 pound little dolly thing I bought from Harbor Freight a few years ago (casters and a small wood frame). Lifted one side of the rock to slide it under and got it up on it. Wheeled the rock to the front of the water pit and side by side lifted it up onto the box. Lifted the left side and snuck the hose up the middle. Leveled the rock so the water would run the way I wanted, adjusted the flow rate, and then put all the rocks back. I had built a wire barrier that runs across the sides of the water box to hold the rocks in place s they don't fall into to the pit.. Was some heavy lifting all by my lonesome.

Was a rainy afternoon. It started coming down hard minutes after I had put away all the tools, so I just made it. Was the same way yesterday when I repaired the lock actuator - started pouring hard right after I finished. The rain gods are taking care of me with my home projects! Plants for some reason did not do well this year. I should have fertilized. Next year.

·
3,410 Posts
New toy:

Porter Cable 14" metal chop saw. I have wanted one for some time now but was not in the frame of mind to dump the bucks. Sold our old basketball goal a couple of days ago, saw this at Tractor Supply tonight. Had most of it in cash so figured fuq it, it's mine. Can do some bevel cuts, hold some thick stock (I don't think I will be cutting metal larger than this can handle for now anyway). Just tested it on some round tube, did just fine.

Going to cut some 1.5" flat stock tomorrow to make some bands for my trailer - keep the smaller wood inlay from curling up on the ends. Will post that job up.

Oh, and thew fridge is running perfect. That repair job did the trick. Yee haw.

·
7,424 Posts
I would suggest to have a fire extinguisher close by during use and to get a good thick extension cord if you move it around. And to use the expensive blades while cutting slowly. You would be surprised how insufficient that clamp is when you push the envelope with them. Just a few things I have learned using one a fair bit.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
New toy:

View attachment 283391

Porter Cable 14" metal chop saw. I have wanted one for some time now but was not in the frame of mind to dump the bucks. Sold our old basketball goal a couple of days ago, saw this at Tractor Supply tonight. Had most of it in cash so figured fuq it, it's mine. Can do some bevel cuts, hold some thick stock (I don't think I will be cutting metal larger than this can handle for now anyway). Just tested it on some round tube, did just fine.

Going to cut some 1.5" flat stock tomorrow to make some bands for my trailer - keep the smaller wood inlay from curling up on the ends. Will post that job up.

Oh, and thew fridge is running perfect. That repair job did the trick. Yee haw.
Nice! These make big projects a lot easier.

·
3,410 Posts
More new toys today:

Got a fire extinguisher for the garage as I do a lot of spark work. Good idea. I have wanted a bench top grinder for some time. A project I am working on called for it and there ya go. 6" constant speed. Good enough for what I need to do.

I have been refinishing a fountain we have - the paint was coming off and scale was building up, which is noticeable on a black fountain right in front of your door. Worked with paint stripper A LOT and still was a nightmare mess. Hence the grinder. Nice brass wire brush and man does it do the charm:

That's a little pedestal piece that sits in the upper bowl where the water spout attaches. Was black and crusty. Much better to take the primer now.

Mid pedestal the sits between the bowls:

You can see the coating I am taking off. This one is not done yet, just an interim shot.

The grinder sitting on my weld table:

I just dropped two bolts through it into channels in the table, no nuts on it even. That holds it from shaking all over the place. Nice!

Off to dinner with the daughter, picking this back up tomorrow. Might buy another toy tomorrow, but for the house/family and not the garage. If we do, pics to follow!

·
3,410 Posts
I would suggest to have a fire extinguisher close by during use and to get a good thick extension cord if you move it around. And to use the expensive blades while cutting slowly. You would be surprised how insufficient that clamp is when you push the envelope with them. Just a few things I have learned using one a fair bit.
Going to buy a good blade. Some are more than the tool!!

4241 - 4260 of 4261 Posts
About this Discussion
4.3K Replies
48 Participants
Corrolla clone
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing