Toyota Nation Forum banner

401 - 417 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey All,

I am the proud owner of a new to me Ooh La La Rouge 2018 HL XLE, Figured I would find a forum to join as I DIY allot of my work. I'm no mechanic by any means but I've found that there is allot that can be done without one. I look forward to interacting with everyone and learning all that we can do with this beauty.
20191117_081343.jpg

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
You ARE in the RIGHT place!!!! This is the DIY playground with PLENTY to learn.
Welcome, and Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
New to the forum here. Looking for info. I'm an owner of a 2015 Toyota HL XLE , bought in April 2015, currently 54k miles. Mechanically I like the car, there are some things that irk me. Let me list them in case some plan to do things I've done and avoid some gotchas.

The stock tires suck in snow, they are like slicks in the snow. I bought blizzaks the first winter I had the vehicle, but then I needed to mount and balance the tires every spring/winter. In retrospect I would have either replaced the factory tires with better all season tires or bought winter tires with steel rims, smaller ones like 16", so I could swap them out on my own. The blizzaks in the snow were night and day. After almost 5 years the factory tires are worn enough to be dangerous, just bought all seson kumho tires, only a week old so no real review on those yet.

Factory remote starter sucks. This was the biggest pain I've had owning the car. It was installed incorrectly and giving me phantom check engine light, assisted brake failure notice, tailgate failure notice, basically a bunch of electrical issues. Went back to the dealership twice to get it fixed, and each time the dash and steering column cover gets scratched up. The steering column cover still doesn't close correctly still. For the price of the factory remote starter I could've gotten a premium aftermarket remote. Most aggravating is the engine turns off when I open the door to get in the car, working as designed.

I've been doing my own oil changes. Dislike the oil filter type, special tool to open, and its the internal filter type. I love the full filter replacement type.

Did my brakes and rotors, all four, pretty straightforward. Issue I had was I used the included lug wrench for the car and literally warpped and stripped the lug nuts when trying to remove them, had to buy new lug nuts and never used the included lug wrench again.

Detest the navigation and entune in general.
Replaced battery at around and 4 year mark, completely died after I put in LED low beams, pure coincidence- i thought the LEDs were bleeding my battery. Eventually put the factory low beams back in, the LEDs weren't brighter and yellow light was better in the fog/rain.

My reason for joining this awesome forum:
I was looking for diy for replacing the belt, mine has started squeaking. i saw one for the 2nd generation and it looks very simple, does anyone know if it applies to the 3rd gen? Or does anyone know of a guide?

Even with all the issues I've had with the HL, I've never had a engine or transmission issue. So a win in my book. Oh also hate the small spare.

Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,
New member here. My name is Teddy and I have a 19 BP LP Highlander. Been in and out of this forum for quite some time before making the move to purchase my first Toyota. I came from a long history of Honda's and Acuras. Wife still drives a 14 Odyssey Elite. Traded in my 09 Ridgeline RTL for the Highlander and have never looked back.
Looking forward to discussions with everyone and sharing my DIYs.
Thank you guys,
Teddy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
I just put a deposit on a '19 HL XLE the other day (Toyotathon).
I had a '13 Rav4 Limited, then went to a '17 Ford (I'll never do that again), and now back to a reliable Toyota..

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, new member here, had a 2010 Camry that was a total loss due to a hit and run.

just picked up a used 2016 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD with rear seat multimedia with 35k miles.

im enjoying the car so far and pretty happy with my purchase this far.

first thing ive ordered is a VAVA dashcam.
Going to be ordering more things such as weathertech floor mats and not sure what else yet.
Im not sure on the vehicle maintenance history but appears who had the vehicle before took real good care of it And didnt drive it a ton. But i need to find the records on this car.
Btw is there a thread onmaintenance service per mileage. I will probably just need to check my owners manual

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone! I own a 2014 Highlander in Blizzard Pearl with light gray interior and shimamoku (whatever that is). I've been driving it for a little more than a year after trading my old car. This is a very different car than my last one. It stood out by only having 32K miles then and wasn't owned by a ride-sharing driver. So far, I updated the Entune system to resolve the rebooting problem and updated the navigational data. It's been trouble-free so far.

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,828 Posts
Welcome y'all! Enjoy the forum, and do read the STICKY threads first, and use the Search. Its best to bring up old threads to revive them and update rather than create new orphan threads. Cheers and Happy New Years!!

·
Registered
2016 Highlander LE Plus
1 Posts
Greetings!
My wife and I just picked up a 2016 LE Plus in Ooh La La Rouge with 50k miles. Got rid of our 2014 Nissan Pathfinder, as it just wasn’t a Toyota. It feels so good to be back “home”. (We’ve owned myriad Toyotas, including my current commuter, a 2003 Toyota Matrix Xrs.) Looking forward to learning more from everyone.

·
Registered
2013 Corolla LE
46 Posts
Long time Toyota owner (4 Corollas) but first post in the Highlander forum on TN. I've got a general question - Does anyone have a good cross-reference matrix of trim features for the 3rd Gen Highlanders? Time to buy my wife one and can't decide on the trim level for a 2017, 2018, or 2019. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
i would use online shopping tools like Edmunds, KBB and etc. use their research feature and compare those models side-by-side; the draw back that I found have been they can only show 4-5 vehicles at a time and in some cases features here and there showing NA.
With the Highlanders, XLE is above average with decent amount of standard features and options you can add-on, fancier as you go to the next levels (Limited and Limited Platinum). As for LE and LE Plus, there are things where we don't see for cost cutting (i.e. Seat cushion and support) as well as limited options can be added like fog light..

·
Registered
2013 Corolla LE
46 Posts
i would use online shopping tools like Edmunds, KBB and etc. use their research feature and compare those models side-by-side; the draw back that I found have been they can only show 4-5 vehicles at a time and in some cases features here and there showing NA.
With the Highlanders, XLE is above average with decent amount of standard features and options you can add-on, fancier as you go to the next levels (Limited and Limited Platinum). As for LE and LE Plus, there are things where we don't see for cost cutting (i.e. Seat cushion and support) as well as limited options can be added like fog light..
Thanks! I was indeed using a few car info/shopping web sites to create my own matrix of features. However, I know sometimes you can purchase things like leather seats that aren't standard equipment for that trim level. It was getting kinda hard and confusing trying to figure out what was standard vs an upgrade. I think I've narrowed it down to the 2017 or 2018 XLE for my wife anyway due to the "must have" features she wants.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Thanks! I was indeed using a few car info/shopping web sites to create my own matrix of features. However, I know sometimes you can purchase things like leather seats that aren't standard equipment for that trim level. It was getting kinda hard and confusing trying to figure out what was standard vs an upgrade. I think I've narrowed it down to the 2017 or 2018 XLE for my wife anyway due to the "must have" features she wants.
Here are URLs to JDPower website on standard equipment amoung 2017 & 2018 Highlanders as FYI. There are other sites like Edmunds and etc. has similar feature information; I Google searched via the key phrase "standard features on 2017 Toyota Highlander" (where I changed the year to 2018 for separate search). Hope they can help a little.

2017 standard features:

2018 standard features:

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Guy checking in! Just traded in our Dodge Journey in and got a 19 Highlander XLE. I guess this is my first Toyota, my parents always had at least one toy frowning up and I think we can got away from them in the early 2000s when they got a little boring. But I’m glad to be back and so far My wife and I are loving it! The ride is great and way more space and comfort than the Journey. Looking forward to spending some time on here

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, we picked up a new to us 2015 XLE with 90,000 km a few weeks ago. We traded in a Ford Expedition on it. This is our second Toyota, we also have a 2003 Avalon with 485,000 km.

401 - 417 of 417 Posts