Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This introduction sticky thread is meant for new forum members to introduce themselves to their fellow Toyota Nation members, but in particular to members in this specific vehicle model forum. Please keep this thread strictly to introducing yourself, and if you have a mechanical issue that needs assistance right away then please post a new thread in this forum.

Thank you, and welcome to Toyota Nation! :hi:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am an old retired engineer from Xerox Corp. I have driven Toyota's for years and never have to do anything but routine maintenance. Just purchased a 2007 Toyota Solara Convertible with only 60k miles on it. It is absolutely a new car. I am super fussy but still don't know how anyone could keep a car pristine for 12 years. Not a mark on the car other then a couple of tiny rock chips on the hood. Not a mark anywhere else. The man who owned it only drove it on occasion and was always garaged with a cover on it. Absolutely love the car. Glad I found this forum.

·
Mechanic by Necessity!
18 Posts
Also new here! The current fleet is listed in my signature and as you can see we put plenty of miles on them. Not listed are a 2002 Honda Civic (365k) and a 1997 Ford F250 4x4 (202k). I am a forum vet (mostly on 7.3L Ford Powerstroke diesels), so I should have any issues navigating around. My background (besides being a mechanic by necessity and for fun) is in mechanical/nuclear engineering. Hopefully I can provide meaningful input when I have it. Cheers!

·
3,406 Posts
Also new here! The current fleet is listed in my signature and as you can see we put plenty of miles on them. Not listed are a 2002 Honda Civic (365k) and a 1997 Ford F250 4x4 (202k). I am a forum vet (mostly on 7.3L Ford Powerstroke diesels), so I should have any issues navigating around. My background (besides being a mechanic by necessity and for fun) is in mechanical/nuclear engineering. Hopefully I can provide meaningful input when I have it. Cheers!
Welcome cubed!

·
Registered
22 Posts
383k-mile camry goin' well

Hi all,

I drive a 2009 Camry SE 2.4L 5 speed, AT; which currently has ~383,000 miles on it w/ original engine and trans.

I love this car. I have done most of the repairs and maintenance myself and have picked up a few tricks along the way.

I also love experimenting and/or testing new ideas, modifications or setups on this camry to increase overall engine efficiency (mpg, power, lower emissions, etc). It's become a hobby and this car is relatively easy/cheap to work on...

Cheers, Wes

·
JBParity
10 Posts
Hi all, Just bought an "07 XLE 3.5L V6. Everything is stock - but that will change over time. LOVE this car and as I am going through it- I am finding more things to love about it. For an 11-year-old car- she looks like a 5-year-old. A few chips, a ding, the underbody is amazingly clear of rust.

Back in 96, I had a Supra - I miss that car - but she started to be more expensive in upkeep than a car payment would be, so I turned her keys over to a college student who was crazy about her. Should I ever win the lottery (which would be finding a ticket on the ground since I don't buy them lol) I would get another one just like her. Favorite memory of her- head out after dark on a country road away from the city lights, sit up on the rear spoiler, feet on bumper, lay back on the window (upper spoiler was like a pillow) and watch meteor showers.

Can't wait for some leisurely memories with my '07 - she doesn't have the rear outdoor seating, but she does also have a sunroof and, so far has been fun to drive... guess I AM getting older, LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a '10 Camry XLE 2.5L that I bought last year as my first car, with 150k kms. I didn't know about a thing about cars so spent a lot of $ changing on brake stuff (wheel bearings, rotors, plates, abs sensor, pads, flush, tie rod). I watched the mechanic did stuff and some of those were easy like pads and rotors. I got impulsive as my car was vibrating at 110 km/hr. But everything's solved now and I also replaced my tires to Pirelli. Man, the differences were like night and day. 160 km/hr feels like 60 km/hr now.

Anyway, labor was cheap when I was in a third world country!! From $2-10 labor to $60/hr. Lol. Now, it's expensive. So I've been a lurker for now reading about maintenance and just followed the inspections recommended by the posters. Just replaced the engine and cabin filters, had coolant drain and fill, changed engine oil, and will try to do transmission/ps fluids next.

·
Camry Lover from way back
1 Posts
I am on my fifth Camry.... but it's driving me crazy...

87 four door.. No problems, got stolen and smashed by thieves
89 four door.. No problems, just routine stuff... Wife wanted it in divorce, her boyfriend T-boned and destroyed it. grrr....
93 four door.. No major problems, replaced motor at 140K with Jap import, more power, less fuel economy, sold with 190K+
09 four door.. LE Hybrid has 166K on it love love love it! 37-38 MPG avg. awesome.. Sunroof sticks on occasion, but otherwise no worries..

Just bought a toy I have always wanted...
07 Solara SLE Convertible... Love the looks, interior, only has 66K miles, but the Cowl shake is driving me mad!!

The dealer replaced the struts with probably the cheapest crap they could find. Still shakes
I replaced the cheap tires they installed that couldn't be balanced with BF Goodrich. Still shakes..
I installed a TRD rear sway bar and new bushings... Still shakes
I installed new HD sway bar connectors in front... Still shakes
I had my mechanic check the car over, top to bottom, said the motor mounts were good, made sure everything was tight and adjusted properly, and the said..."it's just the way convertibles ride!!""

??????

I've driven BMW's and Mercs that didn't shake!! Audi's, even a VW convertible.. None of them shake like this car!!

My wife wants me to sell the 09 and 07 and buy a new four door, but I LOVE the Convertible... I just can't stand driving it!!

TRD used to make a HD front sway bar but I can't find one anywhere!

Is there a sub frame, coil over struts, welded solid metal plate along the bottom that will help this cowl shake problem???

Yes, I know it's an old car, and less supported and glitzy than the Mazdas and Subarus... But I otherwise LOVE this car...

Any help would be appreciated.

Any help would be appreciated..

Vibrating in Virginia

·
3,406 Posts
Welcome to the site Wing. post the issue up in the area here(outside of this intro thread) so folks can give some advice on it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Camry

Hey - I drive an 04 Camry and my name is Bill. Love the car to death! I try to do as much work on the car as I can myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 89 yo mother just gave up driving and I got her '04 Camry 4 cylinder. Sweet little car with only 60k and a few problems with clear coat on the roof and a rear window that won't operate. Sat in the FL heat for too long. Have owned mostly Toyota's since '85 with the exception of a '91 Subaru Legacy and and an '03 P5.

·
Eldude
4 Posts
Hey all
New dude here. However not new to mechanical things and doing things to cars that were never originally intended to be done IE, tuning my garbage, hand porting throttle bodies and intake manifold, valvetrain fun, cams, injectors, transmission fun, rebuilding gm garbage etc.

Got a 2009 toyota camry le 2.4l. It is stock at the moment. Been researching things to do with it. Has 44,000 miles roughly.
Just did a disc and pad replacement/ upgrade on it. Brembo rotors and pads.
Also got me a 1997 5sfe 2.2l that has a popped radiator I'll eventually get around to fixing. 220k on that one.
Just throwing this in here to say hey.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
17 Participants
SFCamry
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing