Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
2006 Solara SLE -- My son's car & my project! Thanks for letting me in. I'm rubbish at Car repair. I've very coach-able, however, and will try anything you tell me. Yeah... to a fault. Thanks in advance for whatever I glean from this forum. Cheers.
--JT

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,493 Posts
2006 Solara SLE -- My son's car & my project! Thanks for letting me in. I'm rubbish at Car repair. I've very coach-able, however, and will try anything you tell me. Yeah... to a fault. Thanks in advance for whatever I glean from this forum. Cheers.
--JT
Welcome JT! Hopefully you and your son will have some great times working on the car!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My name is Tom i am my 3rd Camry 1st 300k [accident his fault] 2nd 290k [nothing wrong just sold] 3rd current 157k

·
Registered
Japan-built 3MZ-FE
67 Posts
Hi all. Just relocated from NYC to CA's Bay Area and needed a beater / commuter to get to the office (with double duty as kid taxi to my two-year-old daughter). Picked up a 2005 Camry SE V6. We also got an E-Class, but this old Toyota is such an honest, competent car it's the one I've started playing with (I used to do autocross Miatas). Eibach Pro-Kits, KYB shocks, Bridgestone Potenza RE980s, and a K&N filter are already in; she's getting a Megan Racing front strut brace and TRD rear anti-roll bar later this week. This car will never see a track--it's a DD and needs to stay comfortable enough for my wife and kiddo--but these first few mods have made it run the freeway like it's on rails and I'm curious how much further it can be improved. Joining this forum to get advice from other owners on next steps (probably starting with a mild tire upgrade to summer 225/55R-17s).

·
Registered
2010 Camry 2.5L
5 Posts
Hello all, Names Erik. I have a 2010 Camry 2.5L with 175,xxx miles. I love this car and am deteremined to make it last a long time. I currently have just done basic oil changes and brake replacement on the car but now needing to a wheel bearing replacement which I am dreading but feel like I have a lot of resources to make it happen.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Camry XLE
22 Posts
Hello all,

I had drove a family passed down 97 Corolla base model for 11 years without AC. I was not the best car care taker. Only maintenance I did was taking it to the shop for oil changes. At times when I was lazy, I will only top off oil in it. It came to the point where the oil light turned on in the dashboard. 2-3 days later the engine knocked. I thought I could survive another day before topping off oil. Guess not. Lesson learned. The car’s engine was replaced. I learned to do my own oil changes from that moment on.

As years passed, the car’s paint started peeling off and having bad rust on the side panels (MN conditions). Never took the car to get car washes. Maybe I would have prevented the rusts on the sides. Heavy maintenance caught up to the car every 2-4 months.

The initial goal was to keep driving the car until it can no longer drive. Mileage as of today is around 235,000. My goal came to an end when my corolla was in a hit and run incident when parked outside on the streets at work. My driver side taillight was damaged along with bumper dangling and the back seat door can no longer open. Half the tail light was missing. I did a few modifications to still make the lights reflect in operatable conditions.

I then decided to look for an Toyota upgrade. In Feb, 2020, That was when I came upon a 2005 Camry XLE 2.4L AT in good condition with few minor scratches. Even though I bought the car at 209,000 miles, most Toyota’s runs forever. I am also happy with my purchase.
The journey begins with my 05 Camry XLE. Will update photos soon.

·
CamryCaleb
2009 Toyota Camry Base 2.4 with several XLE and SE options swapped.
10 Posts
Previously owned a 1996 Corolla with a 7Afe. Dad gave it to me after my 1987 Starion blew up. Feb 18th, 2019, my grandma moved into a rest home and gifted me her 2009 Camry Base with the 2AZFE. it had 47k on the odometer. Upon receiving the car and driving home from LA to Fresno, in California. I started looking up stuff and have tons of questions. Since this is an intro, I'll just post what I've done to the car and post the questions elsewhere.

When I opened the trunk, I saw a bottle of 20w50 weight oil. That worried me. With such low miles I hope nothing is wrong. It currently now has 60k. I have read quite a bit about the oil consumption issues, and the headbolts stripping on this motor (this generation?). I change my oil with full synthetic 5w30 with either Penzoil or Royal Purple. And haven't had any know issues. I also flush the oil every oil change with motor medic motor flush in hopes it will clean the oil rings and drain holes.

Cosmetically I have installed factory fog lights, a steering column stalk with the fog lights switch, soldered in white LEDs into my steering wheel controls. Installed the right steering wheel button set even though I don't have the digital climate control because I wanted the steering wheel to look symmetrical at night. I have a HIZPO android aftermarket replacement multimedia navi unit that I really love but that has one line going down the far left of the screen (sucks). I have polyurethane sway bar bushings on both the front and rear sway bars. Cross drilled and slotted rotors front and back with OEM pads. I integrated a rear-view mirror with screen and camera into the car and wired the Aux camera to a camera mounted behind the front passenger seat to look at the carseat for my 3 year old daughter in the back, so I can see her in my rear view mirror at all times. ^_^ Lastly I have 18 inch 5 star black KMC wheels with 245 40 ZR18 ASR Sport tires. They're generic but amazing. Got the whole set for 260 bucks on ebay brand new.

That's about all I can think of right now. Hope to get some answers to my questions after I post them later today as well as meet anyone in my area. :)

·
Registered
Camry Sportivo V6 (2004)
1 Posts
Hey Fellow Camry Lovers!!! My name is Douglas, I am 25 years old, I live in South Africa (Wooo!!) I have been a fan of Toyota since as far back as I can remember. My Grandfather taught me how to drive in his 2000 Land Cruiser and i did my drivers test in my uncles Blue 199x Hilux 4x4 (locally known as Die BlouBul) and am truly in love with the rock steady reliability and low cost of the Toyota brand. I have been self employed as a "jack of all trades" in the construction sector, everything from structual quality control to HVAC to electrical to access control and CCTV to fire detection, prevention, and fighting to roofing and waterproofing to flooring and decor... GASP, Phew. but my passions really lay in all things electronic and I.T. especially wireless networking and unix server maintenance <3!!

As of today I am the Official (as in fully paid off) Proud owner of a 2004 Camry Sportivo with a glorious 3.0L V6 engine!!! and the first thing I'm gonna do is slap on some 20" mags and install a massive turbo!!! Haha, just joking, I would never do that.. the turbo (or supercharger) maybe, like I have been reading up on it a lot in the past 4 years while its been acting as my dads 'weekend' car, but it will take a lot of internal persuasion for me to mess with the old adage "If it aint broke, you don't godda fix it!" maybe one day when I have to completely redo the engine, might as well!!

She has 370K km on the clock, so it was well used, but not at all abused and has affectionately been named by me (in my final year of school 2011) Portia from the merchant of Venice (wont go into depth for the reasons behind the name). She belonged to my Dad from brand new and has been thumping along ever since. About 4 years ago he decided to downsize to a Corolla as the (small) town driving was wearing the old girl down, and has since been relegated to weekend cruises and the occasional long distance road trips. I took the opportunity to sell my very high maintenance VW polo Playa (hated that car, but it was all I could afford (TO BUY??!!)at the time.) And so far i am more than satisfied with the old girl.

Looking forward to being an active part of the community, and I'm guessing one of the youngest too HaHa.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,
Last week, after spending MONTHS looking for a reasonable deal (everyone seems to over value or fail to disclose issues in their ads), I pulled the trigger on a 2005 LE with 201K miles.
The PO claimed to have done most of the important maintenance within the last year (but sadly had no receipts). Engine was clean, but not "just power washed" clean. Fluids looked good, and it drove good Surprised/impressed the 2.4L is PZEV... Still need to get it to my mechanic (dang Covid-19), but it passed the smog test, so hopefully he won't find any issues.

Things I NEED to do:
Fix or replace headlight housings (and adjust them better)
Replace stereo, maybe with a NAV setup or a multimedia screen for a backup camera (but needs to have HD radio and USB support)
Get a dash mat to kill the reflections on the windshield

I also need to look into what mods/upgrades can be done (spoilers, adding fog lights, etc)

Now to spend my work furlough reading this forum! :)

Steve

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Solara SLE V6 Black
1 Posts
New owner of a used 2007 Solara SLE V6 Black with 79k on the ODO. Great service history. The only issues I could find are some dash cracks and sun fading. I don't plan to do any mods other than spruce up the interior. It's a third vehicle for us and just for leisure. Our other cars are a 2010 Rav4 V6 with 200k and still runs perfect and my 2012 RAM 1500 HEMI with 105k miles.. Runs great too but gets real thirsty.

-Caleb
St. Louis, MO

solara1.jpg solara3.jpg solara2.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all!! Hope all is great! Excited to be part of this group. I’m a recent owner of a 2008 Toyota Camry, in a difficult situation. (2.4l 4cyl, Either head gasket or cracked cylinder) I love my Toyota and I love driving it and this is the first Toyota I’ve owned. Haven’t had it long but had great plans for it as I like the body and the way it drove before all this started. Hoping to stay a Toyota driver, which lead me to this site actually. Hoping to figure it all out and be here for a while. Anyways good to meet you all!

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Camry XLE
22 Posts
Hey welcome to the Toyota club. Hope all brings you well. Great maintenance care will make Toyota last very long time. As I plan to do with my 2005 Camry XLE

·
Registered
8 Posts
Greeting from Columbus IN!

I have a new fowl weather car, a 2005 Solara SE Sport, a very nice car without stupid seat options. so its cloth with manual controls.

I will attach photos when I can. I think I got them posted.

I am active in DatsunZ, 240Z, and Mercedes 500E forums and look forwards to learning about my "new to me , Solona and sharing what I will discover.

Thank you for welcoming me into this forum, in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined! I am on my third Camry and this one is the best so far! It is a 2010 SE with the 3.5L in it. It is a blast to drive but a pain in the ass to work on with the limited engine bay room. I have owned it for 4 years now. Bought it with 90k and it currently has 174k on the clock. Joined because my alternator went bad and was looking for a good guide for how to replace it.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts