Toyota Nation Forum banner

*** Official New Member Introduction Sticky ***

29K views 110 replies 104 participants last post by  River_Rat 
#1 ·
This introduction sticky thread is meant for new forum members to introduce themselves to their fellow Toyota Nation members, but in particular to members in this specific vehicle model forum. Please keep this thread strictly to introducing yourself, and if you have a mechanical issue that needs assistance right away then please post a new thread in this forum.

Thank you, and welcome to Toyota Nation! :hi:

#8 ·
Hey folks. New here but active in some other forums. I'm just a hillbilly driving a chevy pickup truck, but we are just waiting on the insurance check to clear to buy my gf a 2008 limited HL, and I'm just checking in to see what I can glean. Getting the VIN read by a friend at a yota dealership today, and after that I just want to do all the preventive maintenance possible to get at least another 100k mostly trouble free miles out of it. It has 143k on the clock.

#11 ·
Love my 09 Highlander Limited V6 3.5L. Have 132k now, and just starting to learn what's under th
This introduction sticky thread is meant for new forum members to introduce themselves to their fellow Toyota Nation members, but in particular to members in this specific vehicle model forum. Please keep this thread strictly to introducing yourself, and if you have a mechanical issue that needs assistance right away then please post a new thread in this forum.

Thank you, and welcome to Toyota Nation! :hi:
Hi. I have lots of questions about my 09 Highlander. There are 369 threads under the 2nd Gen. I never want to start a new thread unless it hasn't been previously discussed. However, I find it difficult to search out the information within the forum, and I don't have the time to browse through the 369 threads. I think maybe I'm not doing this right.

#12 ·
Hey there, I'm Master Sergeant Gary Collins, USAF(Medically Retired), Disabled Veteran. I purchased a 2008 Highlander for my wife last Nov. I'm not satisfied because I was ripped off by the seller who gained by confidence in him because he attended a Church of Christ College. He seemed like a honest guy; but he was a liar and a theft. He either cleared the top of put something on it to make it look good. One month later the clear coat was coming off. It has a small oil leak and one axle boot is leaking. Still has the old oil cooler hoses. When it got hot the damn AC wouldn't work. So I got screwed by this punk. I want to take him to small claims court here in Tenn., but the rules of the court require a person/service manager to explain your estimates, a piece or paper won't cut it. In today's world I would be hard pressed to find someone to help me. I paid a couple thousand more because of the appearance of the vehicle and it drove great.
Life is all about taking test and getting the answers second. I will never buy a used car again without a third party inspection.
I have the AC leak down to the evaporator. I've got a stiffer and no indication at the drain outlet. I put dye in there and no leaks under the hood. I can charge it and it will last about a week. I'm not sure my next step; the dash removal is too hard for my broken body.

Disabled Veteran

#13 ·
Taking over maintenanace of my wife's 2010. Dealer will still be doing free oil changes (limited to every 3 months now...she does 3k miles in about 2 months) and 27 point checks. But after paying over$200 on difs and xfer case fluids change, she is done with overpaying. I'll be doing everything else from now on.

#15 ·
Hey folks, I just purchased a 2013 HL Hybrid and LOVE IT. I'm not a SUV/truck guy by any means but this car is great. 30mpg in the city and has great pep when I need it. I had an MDX before and that was great car but drank premium like a whale. Also had a Forester- crappiest car I've ever owned. And to be so slow and equally had the same MPGs as my V6 MDX is mind boggling.

Anyways, thanks for having me!

#23 ·
Hi all, I bought my 2009 Highlander Limited from my dad, who bought it new. It's in fantastic shape. It's starting to need things, as a car typically does with 132k miles on it.
Hi Am contemplating purchase of 09 Highlander Limited with 80k on speedo.

Can anyone possibly tell me things to expect ? Already know about AC odor, Oil line rubber, and maybe
wheel bearings.
Anything important yuou can tell me after 132k ?

Thanks

#20 ·
Recently bought 2012 SE 81K miles and maintain my mom's 2007 Highlander hybrid limited 134K miles.

Actually prefer her seats, but really enjoy the vehicles because they ride nearly as good as the Avalon, decent performance, and quality/reliability.

Using Pennzoil Ultra in the 2012 and Amsoil Signature in the 2007.

Greatly appreciate the DIY threads and insight from the other members.

#21 ·
Mother in law retired and gave us her 2008 base 3.5 FWD with 116k a few months ago. 119k now, and so far done engine and cabin air filters, oil and filter, brakes and fluid, intermediate steering shaft, sway bar links and sway bar bushings, alignment, 2 new tires, etrailer hitch and curt harness, weathertech floormats, toyota rubber cargo mat, fog lamps and oem switch, aftermarket stereo with integrated rear camera, spark plugs, intake manifold gaskets, cleaned MAF and throttle body. AVS external mount vent visors and AVS bugflector as well, and touched up all the rusted chips on hood.

PCV valve came in today, and transmission fluid is coming in a couple of days for drain and fill.

#22 ·
Just got a 2012 highlander AWD limited. I love it. Does really well in the snow and plenty of room for the family. Wished I was getting a little better gas mileage, but I'll live. AT 112k. I have replaced the transfer case and rear differential oil. Planning on doing a transmission flush, coolant flush, and spark plugs soon. I was shocked at the dealer's price to do the plugs $550! I've never been big on dealer's maintenance and preferred to do the work myself. Anyway its a big improvement over my previous car, a 23 year old subaru with 265k miles.

#25 ·
I currently own a 2008 Toyota Highlander AWD base model. I have 215,000 miles on it. I've only had 3 repairs over the years. I needed oil control values at 155,000 miles. Even though I use Mobile 1 synthetic, the mechanic said I should stick to 5000 mile oil changes instead of the 7500-10,000 mile changes I was doing. At about 205,000 miles, I needed a new alternator. At around 206,000 miles, I needed a new radiator due to a crack near the top. I'm guessing the mechanic cracked it while replacing the alternator but I couldn't prove it.

#28 ·
New member bought my parents 2009 with just over 100K miles Highlander limited after they offered it to me at 500 less than dealer was offering as a trade-in so I couldn't pass it up as a daily drive to keep some miles off my Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 long bed quad cab plus its a much more comfortable to drive daily. Looking for some ideas on upgrading the radio with something that supports the jbl sound system, navigation, backup camera and has android auto and siriusxm if possible

Thanks in advance
Ryan