Toyota Nation Forum banner

361 - 367 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I dont care what company it is, m1, Amsoil, castrol, or whoever, whenever they claim that this oil will last this long its all smoke and mirrors. Sure in their test engine it lasted but how about you're engine. Anyone that is a dedicated long oci should be taking oil samples along the ways. At least do a base line so they know for sure how that particular oil is performing in their engine.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,929 Posts
Id be worried if my oil was clean after use, oil lubricates and collects contaminants and is supposed to keep them in suspension to be removed when you drain youre oil. The only real way to see how dirty and check youre oil life is to send a sample to a lab for analysis. I think blackstone charges around $30.

I would be worry too if my oil come out more clean than it was going in. LOL It would mean I pull that oil into the dish washer instead of my car engine. LOL

Lets put on the thinking hat shall we...
1) where does the contaminant comes from?
2) what's the task of the oil?
3) What about that oil filter?

Answer 1) parts that get worn out due to movements and friction.
Answer 2) reduce friction and a bit of cleaning would help things move along.
Answer 3) filter out as much contaminants as possible before the oil go back into the engine block.

If the oil does it's job, friction would be ideally none existent which means those contaminant wouldn't exist. There is nothing inside the engine that should be falling off to become contaminant when the friction didn't grind them away from it's whole part. The seal around the piston should keep the burning side to the burning side and the oil side wouldn't see anything burning at all.

IMO, when the oil doesn't do it's job the used oil will come out more dirty cause it have more stuff. When the oil does it's job, the used oil will come out more clean because there is a lot less wear and tear.

All those "suspension" shit is just BS talk. The oil filter suppose to remove the contaminants, anything smaller wouldn't cause much problem.

Agree, only way to find out is to do forensic on the dirty oil. Which trace back to where the wear and tear is occurring.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would be worry too if my oil come out more clean than it was going in. LOL It would mean I pull that oil into the dish washer instead of my car engine. LOL

Answer 3) filter out as much contaminants as possible before the oil go back into the engine block.

If the oil does it's job, friction would be ideally none existent which means those contaminant wouldn't exist. There is nothing inside the engine that should be falling off to become contaminant when the friction didn't grind them away from it's whole part. The seal around the piston should keep the burning side to the burning side and the oil side wouldn't see anything burning at all.

IMO, when the oil doesn't do it's job the used oil will come out more dirty cause it have more stuff. When the oil does it's job, the used oil will come out more clean because there is a lot less wear and tear.

All those "suspension" shit is just BS talk. The oil filter suppose to remove the contaminants, anything smaller wouldn't cause much problem.

Agree, only way to find out is to do forensic on the dirty oil. Which trace back to where the wear and tear is occurring.
I understand what you're saying, I was just saying that used oil should always be dirtier than new oil. Sure you don't want youre used oil full of trash but it shouldn't be clean as new either. As far as the perfect world inside a internal combustion engine, that doesn't exist. All engines have blowby, thats the reason for the pcv system. Some oils seal better than others, I didn't realize how much difference there was until I put a catch can on a ram hemi that I had. With one oil in particular I would collect twice as much as with a couple other oils.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I understand that contaminants also come from combustion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was a little hesitant when I first purchased my Camry in 2012 and found out that the 10K mile oil change interval. The engines apparently today run cleaner then they used to. I usually change mine every 7-10K miles. I try to coordinate oil changes with my other vehicle as well.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,929 Posts
I understand that contaminants also come from combustion.
I think so too, but that also mean the seal isn't good. The seal suppose to separate the combustion side from the oil side. When it's not good, there will be burning oil and combustion contaminant go into the oil side....and smell gas too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think so too, but that also mean the seal isn't good. The seal suppose to separate the combustion side from the oil side. When it's not good, there will be burning oil and combustion contaminant go into the oil side....and smell gas too.
There are good seals and there are bad seals. But, the seal is never 100%. If the seal was indeed 100%, the piston rings would easily wear out due to friction with the cylinder walls.

361 - 367 of 367 Posts