Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
If you really want to get into the heavy technical stuff there is a good paper by Taylor and Coy titled "Improved Fuel Efficiency by Lubricant Design: A Review". Try to Google it and find a full copy. Some days I find it, and other days all I can get is the abstract. In any case I have a full PDF copy. If you can't find it and want a copy PM me with your external e-mail.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Powertrain warranty is 5 years; 60K miles

The powertrain is covered for 6/60. Check the warranty guide at http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-12Camry/pdf/2012_Toyota_Camry_WMG.pdf

6 is better than 5 :D
True ...... but page 10 of the pdf link you sent us to says 60 months ...... 5 x 12 = 60 !!!!

I do agree ..... it would be nice if the time on the warranty matched the maintenance schedule based on 10,000 miles a year.

Oh, and as for the oil, I have been a "5W-30 ONLY" guy for over 20 years and never thought I'd be putting 20 weight oil in any car of mine. Mine calls for 5W30 and I currently run Mobil 1. But the "ex" has a 2011 Highlander SE 3.5L V6 (same V6 as my Camry & the 2012 Camry) and hers requires 0W20 synthetic. It burns the same amount of oil as mine does with 5W30 ..... "ZERO". Thus, I am convinced that Toyota engineers know what they are doing.

Back in "ancient history" people used to run straight 20 weight oil just fine when they just couldn't afford the "step up" to 10W-30. But since they were driving GM, Fords & Chryslers ..... the rest of the car generally fell apart or rusted out long before the engine wore out so most people rarely got a chance to see if there would be an engine failure due to oil viscosity.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Oh, and as for the oil, I have been a "5W-30 ONLY" guy for over 20 years and never thought I'd be putting 20 weight oil in any car of mine. Mine calls for 5W30 and I currently run Mobil 1.
You may want to check current recommendations from the manufacturer. I recall Ford retroactively changed the recommendations to the lighter 5W-20 for certain models. I still run 30 weight in my F150 which I tow a trailer with, but I have now switched to a 0W-30 synthetic. Some are afraid of the 0W number, but if you check viscosity. A 30 weight oil runs about 11 cSt at 100 deg. C, which is near operating temperature. However at 40 deg. C, which is hotter than ambient a 5W is over 60 cSt. An ideal 30 weight oil would have 11 cSt at all temperatures including start up. Doesn't exist, although synthetics are improving on it.

Oil use in the absence of leaks in a good engine, most often is the result of evaporation. A lighter oil if it has a lower flash point is more likely to evaporate. The Noack Volatility is a measure of loss by evaporation. A lower number is better. It is not a big deal, and it just means you may have to top up a bit between changes, especially if you go to the 10,000 mile frequency.

In my opinion the 10,000 mile oil change frequency is much more controversial than the 0W-20 oil weight. Not sure I will go that long between changes. But with my driving pattern, I will likely change on months of service and under the 10,000 miles. Typically drive about 8000 miles a year. Even that seems like a long way to go without a change...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Which 0W-20 oil to use?

Hey all,

I am in the midst of my freebie Toyota oil changes, so this is a question looking forward a bit, and if this has already been posted, thrashed out, answered, etc., please let me know.

Toyota, as we know, suggests its own OE oil, which, my local dealer tells me, is Mobil-1. I don't know if it's off-the-shelf Mobil-1, but I do know that I can buy Mobil-1 at my dealer, as well as Toyota OE oil. As I was talking with one of the service advisors about oil, a tech overheard our conversation and told me that he uses Royal Purple in his own Toyota. So - the age-old oil question - which oil to use once my freebies are done? My local tire guy, who also does oil changes, carries 0W-20 from both Mobil and Royal Purple, and the RP oil change is actually a few dollars cheaper, though price is, within reason, not a factor for me. But he'd also gladly let me bring my own oil, as well.

If price were no object, is there a product that's clearly better than the others? Or is the synthetic market as much hype as the conventional market, where, for the most part, oil is oil, as long as you change it faithfully with the correct viscocity?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
You can't go wrong using any premium 0-20. Mobil1 is the most readily available brand and I'd probably just stick with it. Nothing to be gained by changing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
In the future, you can also buy 0-20W Mobil-1 at Walmart. You will find in the threads discussions about a special oil filter wrench but if you choose to do it yourself seems like Mobil-1 was the choice.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I used mobil 1 in my last Camry for some 225k miles. Bought at Walmart in 5 gallon containers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What the advisor told me was that this particular dealership "uses Mobil-1." I do not know whether that meant that it's the same Mobil-1 that I'd buy somewhere, or whether it's a special version of Mobil-1 with Toyota's specific additives.

I'm getting my 15K service tomorrow morning, so I'll ask specifically about the dealership's oil.

Funny, though, is that the dealer's parts department sells Mobil-1, Toyota OE oil and Royal Purple. It would be reasonable to assume that that means that Toyota oil, even if made by Mobil, is not identical to Mobil-1, although in the world of motor oils, anything is possible.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mobil 1 is great stuff. It's what I have always used on my vehicles (none had issues before I traded in around 150k) and it is what I will use once I reach the point that Toyota doesn't change the oil for me.

Tested and Proven reliability over the years....

The biggest thing to look at is the actual Oil Filter you use. Believe it or not OEM is better than most others. Check this out...this guy has compared dozens of filters to Toyota OEM and found that most of them are sub par..
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/123608-toyota-oil-filter-made-thailand-vs-competition.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd plan on bringing my own filter cartridge to anyone who changes the oil. In fact, my local tire guy will give me $5 off the oil change for bringing my own filter, and he'll rotate my tires for free.

Would it pay to do an oil analysis on the used oil, or is this overthinking the question?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have recently changed to Royal Purple. I had been using the Toyota brand originally in my 2011 LE.
I don't know if the difference was in my head, by the car seemed to run alot smoother with the RP than the Toyota brand.
The dealer has changed the oil for me, with me supplying the oil for $16.00 which is a pretty sweet deal.:D

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,939 Posts
Nothing to be gained by changing.
you put it in, your car stop working.. you gain knowledge... knowledge not to do that again.... see. :lol:

OP, do a search (top right corner) and there are lots of thread on oil. Dino or synthetic etc etc. :thumbsup:

·
9thGen Corolla
326 Posts
you put it in, your car stop working.. you gain knowledge... knowledge not to do that again.... see. :lol:

OP, do a search (top right corner) and there are lots of thread on oil. Dino or synthetic etc etc. :thumbsup:
:rofl2:

Some might say you lose an engine, but i like to think you gain a driveway anchor.

·
Registered
550 Posts
What the advisor told me was that this particular dealership "uses Mobil-1." I do not know whether that meant that it's the same Mobil-1 that I'd buy somewhere, or whether it's a special version of Mobil-1 with Toyota's specific additives.

I'm getting my 15K service tomorrow morning, so I'll ask specifically about the dealership's oil.

Funny, though, is that the dealer's parts department sells Mobil-1, Toyota OE oil and Royal Purple. It would be reasonable to assume that that means that Toyota oil, even if made by Mobil, is not identical to Mobil-1, although in the world of motor oils, anything is possible.
If your ok with them using Mobil-1 (which I am sure is good oil) then good, but they are selling Toyota oil for around $7.00 a quart to us. I would be willing to bet that they are using Mobil-1 to save money. They should be using the correct oil (Toyota), and not cheaper oil.... I'm just saying.......

21 - 40 of 367 Posts