Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 367 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Toyota's oil is just rebottled Mobil oil as far as I remember, possibly made a bit different to Toyotas specs.

Buy a 5 quart of Mobil 1 0w-20 from Walmart if you're doing it yourself and call it a day.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
5,900 Posts
I have recently changed to Royal Purple. I had been using the Toyota brand originally in my 2011 LE.
I don't know if the difference was in my head, by the car seemed to run alot smoother with the RP than the Toyota brand.
The dealer has changed the oil for me, with me supplying the oil for $16.00 which is a pretty sweet deal.:D
I have heard a few said this too.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
Toyota's oil is just rebottled Mobil oil as far as I remember, possibly made a bit different to Toyotas specs.

Buy a 5 quart of Mobil 1 0w-20 from Walmart if you're doing it yourself and call it a day.
as far as I know 3 or 4 different companies making oil for toyota:
Mobil, Eneos, Nippon, Petronas.

I used to use Valvoline Synpower for about 9 years on 2001 and 2007 camry.
8-10K intervals, fram filters.no issues. at more than 100K 2001 camry VC was opened-absolutely clean engine.
as soon I'm off the 2 free oil changes I'll be using synpower again, or might use mobil-1 since price dropped and it cost almost the same as valvoline.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Toyota 0w-20 is superior to Mobil 0w20 AFE in Toyota vehicles that call for 0w-20. Compare UOA on the two oils, the amount of moly in Toyota 0w20 is excellent and holds very well while the oil "ages".

·
Registered
550 Posts
So its the same but different ? Okie Dokie then..........

All I am saying is that they should use what they are supposed to use. If you paid for filet mignon but got top sirloin wouldn't you be pissed????? Sure they are both steak, but I PAID FOR F-ING Filet Bitch!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am hungry....LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got back from my dealer. I asked, point blank, whether Toyota oil was repackaged Mobil-1, or whether it was anything special. The advisor's reply was that the oil used by the dealership was, indeed, good ol' Mobil-1, with no extra additives, but in "bulk," which, I guess, means in 55-gallon drums. So, from my perspective, whether I paid for Toyota oil or not (and it's a freebie oil change, anyway), I'm getting Mobil-1.

And, that said, the dealer's parts department had Toyota oil priced at $7.29/qt., while Mobil-1 was priced at $7.99/qt.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,459 Posts
Toyota 0w-20 is superior to Mobil 0w20 AFE in Toyota vehicles that call for 0w-20. Compare UOA on the two oils, the amount of moly in Toyota 0w20 is excellent and holds very well while the oil "ages".
yes, I've heard that too. but different oils got different additives. plus as far as I know mobil oil film is more stable and bit thicker at work temperatures and that is part of the protection too.
I've seen many different test and Mobil-1, Penzoil Platinum and Valvoline Synpower always comes on top of other oils. not talking about Amsoil.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So its the same but different ? Okie Dokie then..........

All I am saying is that they should use what they are supposed to use. If you paid for filet mignon but got top sirloin wouldn't you be pissed????? Sure they are both steak, but I PAID FOR F-ING Filet Bitch!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I am hungry....LOL
It's not the same oil, Mobil does produce the Toyota oil but to Toyota's specs where one of the differences is higher moly than Mobil 1 0w20 AFE.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tms will being offering 0w-20 genuine toyota motor oil in drum/bulk&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CG4QFjAA&url=http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=4683&ei=ypjYTqqhD8aSiQLxn6XkCQ&usg=AFQjCNEmyfzqJPxUGqEp60_dHSRM2CnW3A&sig2=9CworpJUMJOsUdewNGcvGg

·
Registered
60 Posts
last post to this thread, I promise

I agree with the poster who said these go on and on and on, so just for fun I decided to add this one more.
I received a snail mail circular from Advance Auto that had a $29.99 sale on Mobil-1, either a 5 qt container or 5 single qts PLUS a Mobil-1 filter. Prices good thru Sept 26.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Based on the research I did, which was using both virgin and used oil analysis results posted at the Bob is the Oil Guy site, the Toyota 0W-20 is not the same as Mobil 1. It is quite easy to determine as the Toyota oil has high amounts of moly. Not sure there is any value in that moly, so I would hesitate to say that means better. In fact if you compare all specifications, I would suggest Mobil 1 is likely the better oil.

The story as I pieced it together is that Toyota originally imported the oil from Japan. Now they pay Exxon to blend it for them using North American base stock, and Japanese additives (with high moly obviously). In Canada they ship it in bulk to Esso (Exxon) who bottles it and distributes it to Toyota dealers. It is a good price here at $6 and is usually cheaper than you can get Mobil 1 for.

Here is a comparison chart I put together (and probably posted earlier in this thread...). I would select the Mobil 1 or the Toyota based on price and use the cheapest of the two. In Canada the PetroCan is a good choice too, but you are not likely to get it for $6.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Based on the research I did, which was using both virgin and used oil analysis results posted at the Bob is the Oil Guy site, the Toyota 0W-20 is not the same as Mobil 1. It is quite easy to determine as the Toyota oil has high amounts of moly. Not sure there is any value in that moly, so I would hesitate to say that means better. In fact if you compare all specifications, I would suggest Mobil 1 is likely the better oil.

The story as I pieced it together is that Toyota originally imported the oil from Japan. Now they pay Exxon to blend it for them using North American base stock, and Japanese additives (with high moly obviously). In Canada they ship it in bulk to Esso (Exxon) who bottles it and distributes it to Toyota dealers. It is a good price here at $6 and is usually cheaper than you can get Mobil 1 for.

Here is a comparison chart I put together (and probably posted earlier in this thread...). I would select the Mobil 1 or the Toyota based on price and use the cheapest of the two. In Canada the PetroCan is a good choice too, but you are not likely to get it for $6.

Yes, this is accurate information. Also, to add to it, Toyota oil is a bit thinner which is better for start up.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Pour point is the lowest temperature which a product will pour.

If the test data reported is right, is the Toyota oil suitable for use in the northern US? It's pour point is -27C (-16F).

Read article below which states the pour point of non-synthetics are -15 to -35F and synthetics are -40 to -70F. Why is Toyota synthetic oil -16F?

http://www.autoeducation.com/autoshop101/oil-change-5.htm

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Pour point is the lowest temperature which a product will pour.

If the test data reported is right, is the Toyota oil suitable for use in the northern US? It's pour point is -27C (-16F).

Read article below which states the pour point of non-synthetics are -15 to -35F and synthetics are -40 to -70F. Why is Toyota synthetic oil -16F?http://
I recall I got that number from a BITOG post which contained an e-mail from a Toyota rep, with the number. I suspect the pour point quoted is before the addition of a pour point depressant additive. Unfortunately Toyota does not provide an official set of specs for the oil.

The better measures of how suitable the oil is for winter weather is the CCS and MRV viscosities. While not the lowest numbers in the group, the Toyota oil still meets the requirements for a 0W-20 oil. In that category Mobil 1 may be the best of the group, but even it is missing the CCS number. The cold start viscosities of any of these oils will be better than the usual 5W-30 that many still use.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I recall I got that number from a BITOG post which contained an e-mail from a Toyota rep, with the number. I suspect the pour point quoted is before the addition of a pour point depressant additive. Unfortunately Toyota does not provide an official set of specs for the oil.

The better measures of how suitable the oil is for winter weather is the CCS and MRV viscosities. While not the lowest numbers in the group, the Toyota oil still meets the requirements for a 0W-20 oil. In that category Mobil 1 may be the best of the group, but even it is missing the CCS number. The cold start viscosities of any of these oils will be better than the usual 5W-30 that many still use.
Most BITOG members are whack jobs from the 50's (not sure if 1850's or 1950's). They are still telling people to use 40 weight oil while the car is still under warranty !!!!!!!! My gosh ........ General Motors told people to quit using 10W40 in favor of 10W30 back in the 1980's because of all the piston ring failures.

Or better yet are the people on there driving their Crown Vic's that recommend mixing their "home brew" of multiple brands of oil.

What if you came home ...... only to find your wife had built a shed in the back yard to store 500 pounds of off-brand Walmart coffee she found on sale at only $1 per pound !!!!!! "but sweetheart ....... it's made by the same Company that makes Folger's"

That's how too many BITOG'ers think. Consider them the Tiger Woods's of oil.

And moreover, an email from a Toyota rep is almost as worthless as an opinion from a BITOG member after your warranty expires.

There are like about 10 members of the BITOG forums that supply 99% of the fact based advice. And it is good advice. So long as you know the answer before you ask the question.

Further, most Toyota "reps" are reading from a script and almost all service advisors (regardless of what brand of car) are just about as dim bulbs as their used car salespeople counterparts that get paid on commission. Having expertise as a car mechanic is not required for getting a job as a either a Toyota rep OR a service advisor.

41 - 60 of 367 Posts