Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Most BITOG members are whack jobs from the 50's (not sure if 1850's or 1950's).
Can't say I totally agree with your analysis of BITOG. If you don't know your oil, you don't survive there. On heavy oil, it is the Europeans that keep insisting on using it. Some of the European car makers specify a high HT/HS that only heavy oil can meet.

If I was to be critical, some there are fanatical, and of course as in any forum there are knowledgeable and not so knowledgeable people. The secret is being able to sort the information "wheat from the chaff". If I had one big issue with BITOG it is that many including moderators are Amsoil oil dealers. I am persona non grata there now for referring to Amsoil oil as Non API compliant Amway Oil. That said if you want to do your own research here are some saved links that contain useful information on 0W-20 oil. CATERHAM, from Burlington, Ontario, Canada is a particularly knowledgeable contributor in my view.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2409059

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1985094

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2551589

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1919589#Post1919589

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2499638

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2409119&page=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2492472

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2654781

·
Registered
37 Posts
2012 Camry Oil?

My car is using Synthetic oil which costs more as you know. Question (1) Can you use regular oil as well in this car or must i always use synthetic oil? (2) My book and dealership say you must change the synthetic oil every 5,000 miles (In my 1996 Camry i always changed my oil every 3,000 miles, it still drives great with 305,000 miles) People tell me with Synthetic Oil you can change it after 7,500 or 10,000 miles. Which is the best for the car 5,000, 7,500 or 10,000?

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
I'm not going to talk about which is better OCI for your car: 5,7, or 10k since thats personal preference (depending on the oil you're using), but i'm sure other members will. There hasn't been an OCI debate in a while :D

But you're book and dealer should not be saying your 2012 that has synthetic oil is due for an oil change every 5k miles...the OCI for 2012's that use synthetic is 10k miles, or 1 year, whichever comes first.

So if you use non-synthetic oil, you should change it no later than 5k miles/6 months. If you use synthetic oil you should change it no later than 10k miles/1 year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank You i didn't know this my car is at 35,000 miles and ive used up all my free oil changes already plus 2 of my own , which is about 7 already. Wow i could still be using my free ones. I'm sure though the book said 5,000 miles i'll have to look tomorrow plus i got an oil change yesterday and the sticker says the next one is at 40,000 or June 2014 whichever comes first. Confused.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
The sticker that I get on my windshield is in 5k intervals, but thats to bring it in to get fluids topped off and to get tires rotated. Double check your book when you get a chance sometime and post back, I'm curious if for some reason your book has it as 5k/6mons.

So you got an oil change at 10k, 20k, 30k, and 35k, and all were using synthetic oil?

EDIT: here is the PDF of the maintenance guide for 2012 Camry's...scroll down to page 36 to see where the recommended service intervals start

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-12Camry/pdf/2012_Toyota_Camry_WMG.pdf

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes i stupidly did ALL those oil changes i will be careful in the future and not go to the dealership for them. It costs alot more at the dealership than say at a box store oil change, I guess i'll go to the dealership only if i have real car problems. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes i stupidly did ALL those oil changes i will be careful in the future and not go to the dealership for them. It costs alot more at the dealership than say at a box store oil change, I guess i'll go to the dealership only if i have real car problems. Thanks again!!!

I get all my oil change done at the dealership cause it seems cheaper to do then somewhere else. Reason being, they charge me $62 dollars for the oil change while using 0w20 (which I hear is a synthetic blend).

If you really want to stretch out your oil change, I'd actually eyeball the oil. If it's losing it's honey color and is starting to getting dark, you'll probably want to get it change'd regardless of the millage. Sometimes, the mechanics will 'forget' to change the oil filter when they replace the oil, or not let the bad oil drain completely (since it takes too long to wait and let all the bad oil drain out). In which case, the oil loses it's honey color very quickly after an oil change and then you have to do a 'make-up' oil change. :rolleyes:

Also, type of driving makes a huge difference on oil change. I'll give you and example. We own a 2008 Rav 4 that I used for work for the first two years. We get the oil changed religiously at 8000km. When I was driving the car for work, I was doing mostly high speed, highway driving and when my oil change interval came up, my oil was black and the dipstick was at the 1/2 mark. So, it really needed an oil change badly, even though I was following the 8000km recommended guidelines. Then, I turned the car over to my wife and got another vehicle for my work. Her driving consisted of tooling around town (no highway), getting grocery and picking up the kid. After 8000km with her behind the wheel, the oil in the engine looked brand new, and there was no oil lost, the dipstick was at the full mark...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I get all my oil change done at the dealership cause it seems cheaper to do then somewhere else. Reason being, they charge me $62 dollars for the oil change while using 0w20 (which I hear is a synthetic blend). ]

If you really want to stretch out your oil change, I'd actually eyeball the oil. If it's losing it's honey color and is starting to getting dark, you'll probably want to get it change'd regardless of the millage. Sometimes, the mechanics will 'forget' to change the oil filter when they replace the oil, or not let the bad oil drain completely (since it takes too long to wait and let all the bad oil drain out). In which case, the oil loses it's honey color very quickly after an oil change and then you have to do a 'make-up' oil change. :rolleyes:

Also, type of driving makes a huge difference on oil change. I'll give you and example. We own a 2008 Rav 4 that I used for work for the first two years. We get the oil changed religiously at 8000km. When I was driving the car for work, I was doing mostly high speed, highway driving and when my oil change interval came up, my oil was black and the dipstick was at the 1/2 mark. So, it really needed an oil change badly, even though I was following the 8000km recommended guidelines. Then, I turned the car over to my wife and got another vehicle for my work. Her driving consisted of tooling around town (no highway), getting grocery and picking up the kid. After 8000km with her behind the wheel, the oil in the engine looked brand new, and there was no oil lost, the dipstick was at the full mark...
1) Genuine Toyota 0W20 is full synthetec [Honda does make synthetic blend 0W20 as well as full synthetic 0W20 and instructs owners go by the algorithm based "oil life monitoring system."

2) Toyota instructs owners to use 5,000 miles/6 months if "special cirumstanes" exist .... meaning short trips in cold weather or dusty conditiions.

3) Nissan Altima I4 for 2014 instructs owners to use 5,000 miles / six months and use 0W20 oil with no mention of the word "synthetic." Like the gen 6 camry V6, ..... nissan says 5W30 for Altima V6.

4) The 2008 Rav4 uses the same crappy 2.4L I4 found in the 2007-2009 Camry thet burns oil .... causes oil to get black as coal in 5K miles, faulty pistons, bad water pumps, yada yada. The 2.5L Camry from 2010 forward generally treats oil like its 2GR-FE V6 cousin. That is .... zero or negligible oil consumption and not much in the way of "blowby" to turn the oil black.

I find it amazing that in this high tech day and age, nobody has a DIY "at home" test for oil analysis. Mailing a sample to blackstone labs for analysis is like time warp to a rotary dial on your cell phone. And what ...... still no "low oil" warning light for toyota ???????? has anyone even seen a car with its hood up to check the oil at a gas station in the past 10 years?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I put mobile 1 in my 2gr-fe engine every 5000, I don't let the dealer or others change it because I don't know what they put in the engine. Toyota gave me 2yr/25000 free oil change but never use it, but I did ask for the filter and 0w20 in a qt. bottle and they said NO.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
2) Toyota instructs owners to use 5,000 miles/6 months if "special cirumstanes" exist .... meaning short trips in cold weather or dusty conditiions.
As always, great info Paul! Yep, special circumstances = repeated trips under 5 miles under 32 degrees F, dusty/dirt roads, and excessive idling/low speed driving like taxis.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,450 Posts
I stated the same thing a few times already, but gonna say it once more: according to my experience, my research and a few mechanics I trust, 10K is absolutely safe interval under normal driving conditions and 99.999% of camry owners drive under normal conditions.
I've used full synthetic oil and 10K intervals on 2001 camry, engine of which was designed for conventional oil and 3K intervals and at 120K engine was absolutely clean, no smoking, no oil usage-no engine issues at all. so I'm absolutely sure that 10K intervals and full synthetic oil will not harm more advanced designed for full synthetic engine especially since Toyota recommend 10K intervals.

·
12 Camry LE
236 Posts
ehh...I was a lube tech in my younger days and then a tech at a GM dealership now a Service Advisor...oil change intervals are really an iffy subject..I use full synthetic on my 05 camry and go every 4k...I could go 5k but I just dont..There have been test I think valveoline or amsoil have done where they ran a brand new engine with full synthetic 100,000 miles and it still didnt sludge...Cant remember exactly but it was one of the name brands...It was just to show how durable there stuff was and used it as a selling point..I wanna say it was amsoil..They are definitely a top synthetic oil in my opinion.
I have yet to do an oil change on my 2012 ...I think ill take it to Toyota to do it..To my understanding its fully synthetic 0w20... I'll pay the extra $ for them to do it an take care of some TSB and Recall stuff that needs done..I still probably wont go more than 4k...But that just me...

At our GM dealership they recommend 7500k on dexos 5w30 blend..They are now carrying 0w20 blend, but I believe toyota recommends fully synthetic in the new 2.5 motors?

7500k I personally think is to much for a semi synthetic blend...maybe full synthetic..This is probably why they are having recalls on timing chains in there smaller suv lineup...You cant expect a blend to hold up that long and provide adequate lube to vital components, as well as keep the engine clean and sludge free.Not to mention people usually dont come in till after 9000 miles well past the 7500k recommendation.

I just remember seeing as a lube tech people changing oil at 5 k...and you could just tell what kind of oil it was coming out ...Regular vs Synthetic...Regular would come out blacker than black and Synthetic would come out brownish black..Not to mention the synthetic felt like it still has viscosity left in it where as regular was like water...Ever since those days Ive always used full synthetic and every 4 k...Sometimes 5k.. My personal opinion might not matter...If you plan on keeping the car 300,000k then Id change it ever 5 atleast...If your only gonna keep it till around 100k and trade it in or till the power train warranty expires .Then do whatever you want its a throw away car to you at that point no point in sinking extra money in it lol

·
Photojournalist
1,794 Posts
Toyota DOES specify 5K mile oil changes if you use 5W-20 synthetic. And, that may not be a bad idea in 80+ degree areas of the country.

However, I am staying with the 0W-20 10K miles system, with a filter change and top off at 5K. That pissy-ass small filter scares the heck out of me, even though I use Denso or WIX/NAPA Gold.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Toyota DOES specify 5K mile oil changes if you use 5W-20 synthetic. And, that may not be a bad idea in 80+ degree areas of the country.

However, I am staying with the 0W-20 10K miles system, with a filter change and top off at 5K. That pissy-ass small filter scares the heck out of me, even though I use Denso or WIX/NAPA Gold.
I totally agree, I can afford changing the oil every 5K miles, just extra insurance and peace of mind. Also when I go to sell the car the extra oil change is a very good selling point. I have a BMW and I change the oil every 7K miles or once a year, i don't put a lot of miles on the car. To each his own, if you feel good about every 10K miles oil changes then go for it, there's no right or wrong imo!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
when i picked up my 14 Camry they told me to come in for oil change when I hit the 5k mark
Did they say oil change or free 5k service? I only ask because at 5k miles all you "get" is tire rotation and check fluids and inspection. Oil change is not until 10k. I know some embers have had their dealers change the oil but it's not due until 10k.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What is the best oil for a V6

So im planning on changing my oil on my car it has 5500miles and I dont like the idea of waiting until the 10000 miles oil change that toyota recomends. Anyways I would like to know what u guys think about changing the oil early and what oil is our best option.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

61 - 80 of 367 Posts