Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 367 Posts

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
756 Posts
Are these high moly oils important for engine longevity or is their sole purpose to increase fuel economy? The reason I ask is I'm debating whether to use the high moly Toyota 0W-20 or low moly Mobil 1 5W-30 in my new 4 cylinder 2015 Camry.
Thanks.
The moly is a low friction lubricant - it bonds with the metal parts and allows them to 'slide' on the moly, vs. direct contact.

I use this product in our vehicles here:

With 5w-30 Synthetic blend oil - really has helped out during cold starts w/ the below 0 temps. here this winter. The engine starts easier, runs smoother, and is quieter overall.

The new Toyota 0-20 oil is dark in color, indicating lots of moly, and it is 'stickier' than an equivalent 5-30 full-synthetic oil, meaning it coats internal parts better. That's the moly doing that.

For factory / warranty concerns, I would stick with the 0w-20 factory oil, but later on, you may want to consider an alternate brand 0-20 oil w/ a moly additive.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What I'd really like to find is a 5W-30 with Moly if any are available.

In Russia, Australia and probably Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, etc. Toyota owners manuals say 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 oil may be used in the 2AR-FE motor.

Thus the requirement to use 0W-20 in the USA is most likely politically based; i.e. helping Toyota meet CAFE standards.

·
Registered
235 Posts
All 0W20 oil is good. Go to Wal-Mart and buy the cheapest jug you can. I use Mobil 1 and Castrol, whichever is on sale.

I've owned 14 cars and have never had any issues with any oil I've used.

Bobistheoilguy.com has some good information, but some of those guys are absolutely nuts obsessing over TBN, moly, etc.

High moly or low moly oil is not going to be the difference between your car going 200K miles or 300K miles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Which type of oil should i buy?

Hey y'all,

2012 Camry SE V6 owner.

Which synthetic oil should I buy?

Do you change your own oil or take it to the shop?

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts
Dealers have different policies, but I go to one that changes the oil/filter I bring for $20

....so I look for whatever 5w-30 syn or syn-blend is on sale....syn is typically on sale for $12-15 for a 5qt jug, syn-blends for $5-10 for 5qt/jugs...Kitacam likes Pennzoil Platinum syn...other Camrys seem to like Mobil 1...in addition to 5w-30, some prefer the spec'd 0w-20 and others 0w-30 and some 5w-20...do a search and you'll get a lot of responses....

For the i4, a 5qt jug lasts for the OCI (a 4qt fill + 1/2-1qt top up during a 6-7.5k mile OCI)....the V6 may require a bit more...

....filters are typically $5, so the synthetic BYO-OC is $40 vs the usual $65...3 for the price of 2 is a nice savings.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hey y'all,

2012 Camry SE V6 owner.

Which synthetic oil should I buy?

Do you change your own oil or take it to the shop?

I have a 12SE V6, I buy my Mobil 1 from Costco when it's on sale ($27.99).

5w-20 with Fram Ultra oil filter ($9.99)

The V6 takes 6.4 qt per change but I only put in 6.0 qt. I don't bother to buy an extra qt. just to top it off.

Since you're in NY and a colder winter you may want to stick with 0w-20 per your owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Owners manual says use ILSAC rated oil, available in several grades, any of which will work. Toyota says use 0w-20 oil which they recommend for fuel economy. Apparently they got their fuel economy ratings using 0w-20 oil and have to encourage everyone to continue using it per government edict. I use 5w-20 and am working my way back to 10w-30 that I used for decades.

It's best to use the Toyota oil filter. Otherwise you are experimenting, regardless of what you see, hear, or read about some other filter.

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts
RobN...
Most engine wear occurs at start up and so 0w and 5w oils are preferred by manufacturers now....well that and CAFE.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Use what ever grade and type Toyota recommends. Should be on the oil filler cap, but check the owners manual.

Use Toyota filters during warranty period if factory still applies. Was told that was the only requirement for my truck and it eliminates any future excuses if a fail occurs. Keep oil and filter receipts.

Most important is to change it regularly. I do mine every 5000 miles and never had an oil related issue with 210,000 and 437,000 mile vehicles. Used Mobil 1 synthetic and Castrol GTX conventional oils. Do not use high mileage unless you are burning oil. if not, it is not needed as it swells the seals and can do more harm than good.

I suggest changing the oil yourself as too many oil places are unreliable as to what oil they put in, if they add the correct amount, and not even changing the oil filters to save costs. Plus they try to sell you useless engine and transmission flushes.

Opening the hood of your car to change the oil also lets you look at the belts and other fluids like Brake fluid to make sure they are all OK. Get a catch oil pan from Wal-Mart and most all car parts stores will let you dump your old oil to recycle it. Not a big deal for peace of mind it's done right.

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
Use Toyota filters during warranty period if factory still applies. Was told that was the only requirement for my truck and it eliminates any future excuses if a fail occurs.
Not saying it's a bad idea, but definitely not a requirement for Toyota.

Hyundai/Kia are fussy about it, but even then, all they really say is that if the engine is knocking and has an aftermarket filter on it, the dealer should change the oil and install a HMC filter and if that fixes the issue the owner has to pay for the oil change rather than a warranty service ...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not saying it's a bad idea, but definitely not a requirement for Toyota.

Could be, but that's what the only thing I was told was needed to maintain the warranty. Didn't need to bring it in for any other warranty work. I bought a case at a time, so no big deal. Wasn't much more than the cheap ass Fram filters which I would never use.

·
2002 Ford Focus SE
5,928 Posts
Actually, the Toyota warranty guide basically says specifically that not only do you not have to use their parts, you don't even have to follow their recommendations and they won't deny coverage unless the failure is proven to be related to the action you didn't perform.

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts

·
Top TN contributor
3,480 Posts
You don't see deals like this posted on-line...it's an unannounced corporate sell-out....like the AutoZone sale of 1/qt semi-synthetic and synthetics last xmas....(I got 15 qts of Kendall GT-1!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mobil One from Wal-Mart 25.00 and K&N Oil Filter, I use this on my 2003 Camry.......She has never been in the shop one time and shes got 61,000 Orig. Miles.

141 - 160 of 367 Posts
About this Discussion
366 Replies
115 Participants
solewa
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing