Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
73GTV
115 Posts
No, I also have a Celica and should concentrate on it restoration but will continue to look in on the Corona site. I have the desire to purchase a 1967 Corona for a better reason to be within this forum, I head to California on the 25th for the weekend so i can see what I can find and will keep in touch

·
RA28 + MX73
1,200 Posts
Look for the Hollander manual.
It lists which parts interchange between Toyota models for most years.
Old manuals covering the 1970's come up quite often on Ebay.

A trip to the local wrecking yard with a tape measure brings up wonders.
Make up a table like the following to compare what each model has:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/engcodes.htm#Crossmembers

For the record, the T10# and T11# series (what an American would call a '74-'78 model) went from Aug 1973 to Aug 1978.
It was replace by the T13# model which went from Aug 1978 onwards.

Australia made it's own version of the RT104 with many local parts (eg rear axle) which lasted until Aug 1979 - a year longer than the rest of the world.

Engines and gearboxes are freely interchangeable with the pickup, Celica and 4 cylinder Cressidas (not sold in N.America but popular in Asia and Europe).
Small caveat that you may have to use the rear extension housing of your old gearbox because different models used different extensions.
If you change engine families (eg put a 13T where a 20R used to be) then you will need to change the crossmember but changing within engine families is fine (eg 20R and 22R can swap).
Beware that some engines are taller than others, so bonnet (hood) clearance should be checked.

The front brake calliper bolt spacing is the same as used on early 1980's pickups with 4 spot callipers.
Works well when combined with a Peugeot vented disc (requires some machining to disc).

Wheels use the same PCD bolt pattern as Nissan and Mitsubishi.
Take care the offset also matches when taking rims from a late model Skyline or 200SX.

External mirrors are often interchangeable.
I recommend the '77 Celica GT bullet mirrors (similar 1969 Mustang mirrors also suit).
Replace the small internal mirror with a larger mirror from almost any later model Toyota (same roof bolt pattern).

- Stepho

·
Corona is gone.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cool, I wish I could find some new front seat belts for mine.

·
RA28 + MX73
1,200 Posts
Seat belts are interchangeable with belts from other Toyotas of similar age.
Not too hard to put brand new aftermarket belts in - and a lot safer than 30 year old belts.

- Stepho

·
Corona is gone.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Actually it is impossible to incorporate aftermarket belts, because they do not mount in the locations design into the body, and therefore interfere with seat travel. Your first point may be correct, but I don't know which models are interchangeable nor whether parts are available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, I've been looking for a thread like this forever!
Hey guys, new here. My girlfriend picked up a 72 Corona Mark II, and it needs some serious help. It's our "project car." We need to either repair or replace the differential, and are have NO luck finding a donor Corona at a junkyard. Is this list below implying the rear axle from any of the cars below will fit in the 72 Corona? If not, does anyone know for 100% certain a car that we could swap the diff from? HUGE thanks to you guys for any help. :D

the same basic eng bay/drive train is present in:

us years
72-95 pickup (hilux) 2wd
72-85 celica rwd
72-8X corona
lots of little parts like relays, brake master's, speedo cables are interchangeable.

also most of the lil parts from older cars are interchangeable. so if your at a yard and not looking for body or trim look at all the yota's.

alot of times bigger parts stores wont stock parts for corona's but they do for a celica or truck. same thing just a different part#

·
Registered
206 Posts
iirc, the mk2 has rear coil springs instead of leaf springs. the celica would be a better donor than the corona since the celica also use rear coil springs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
iirc, the mk2 has rear coil springs instead of leaf springs. the celica would be a better donor than the corona since the celica also use rear coil springs.
The 72 Corona Mark II has coil front, leaf rear.
No clue about other years, though.

Do you agree that one of those cars would make a good donor? Or were you referring to something else, or just generally?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i stand corrected. :)
the corona and hilux would be good donor cars then.
No worries. I was surprised to see leaf springs when I looked under it the first time :lol:. First passenger car I've seen in my life with leafs, usually just on pickups!

So the regular Corona and the Hilux would be direct drop-ins. Hm, this is good and bad. Standard Coronas aren't exactly common in the parts yards here, either. And, the Hilux is hit an miss. The Hilux name was dropped in the US early on, and supposedly the Toyota truck in the US looked the same as the Hilux but may or may not have shared the same mechanicals, I can't seem to get agreeing info on that in my searches.

Out of curiosity, has anyone pulled the differential on these cars, or would you know if it would be marked? If the differential has a unit model number on it, I could just cross check that with similar cars at the parts yards. There's a gigantic one a few hours away that is supposed to have tons of cars, not just your local PickNPull, so hopefully I can find something there. But I'd like to be able to cross check it. If there's a number on them it would be worth me pulling the diff to retrieve it for when I go out there.

BTW, to the mods, if you want feel free to move these posts to a new thread so we're not going too O/T here. I can just post back a definitive answer later so the thread doesn't get too convoluted with discussion if you want to keep this as a reference thread instead of a discussion thread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Upgrade front springs...

Recently I tried to find an good upgrade to my stock rt105 front springs and I was told that an early 70's trucks? was good candidate for this this. knowing this I'd be lucky to find one. Then I stumbled upon a ford Mazda courier from the early 80's. They have the same size o.d. of 4 1/2" but with much thicker coil. Also the ford is much shorter by about an inch. Here's the comparison:

left(rt105) right(ford madza courier):

Here she is with the drop cut of 2 coils:

Using 14x6 Autobhan wheels with 185/65/14 tires:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, does anyone know if I can use 77-80 Celica front suspension Parts for my 77 RT115 Corona?

Have access easier access to Celica parts.

Thanks,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, does anyone know if I can use 77-80 Celica front suspension Parts for my 77 RT115 Corona?

Have access easier access to Celica parts.

Thanks,
rt105 or rt115? the same car as mine? if so, no you cannot use the celica as they have mcpherson struts. totally different from celicas.

well unless your rt115 came with mcpherson struts then yes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, I did some research and yes Celica suspension will not work. What kind of Ford truck where you referring too the front springs?

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I got my rt105, it had a messed up signal and wiper arms and no hazard lights when turned on.. Then a friend had a 77 celica gt and I took the whole assembly and and to my surprise its a plug and play unit. Now i have a complete working unit and hazard light working.

Did so with the sun visor but it was too long.:disappoin

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I got my rt105, it had a messed up signal and wiper arms and no hazard lights when turned on.. Then a friend had a 77 celica gt and I took the whole assembly and and to my surprise its a plug and play unit. Now i have a complete working unit and hazard light working.

Did so with the sun visor but it was too long.:disappoin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brake Hoses

My local parts supplier is coming up empty handed for brake hoses for my 74 Mark II.
Anyone have info on another model to cross reference?
Two front and single rear brake hoses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, 73GTV but I do not do business on ebay.
I'm looking for info on what other models use the same hoses and/or manufacturer name and part #'s that I can order directly.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
11 Participants
thesnake
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing