Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, after further inspection, my mechanic needs a few more parts: again, if anyone can help me as to what websites will have the best deals as well as actually have them, i'd really appreciate it! i've been looking at the autopartsstore.com right now, but i think there might be some better deals out there. just keepin in mind that i'm a college student on a budget, but want this car to run well

here's what we need:

Trunk weather stripping (hard to find)
Ball joints (both sides)
outer tie rod ends (both sides)
Exhaust pipe (might just go ahead and get a cat-back system if i can get one for cheap- any suggestions??)
and the radiator shroud is still proving to be hard to find.

i aprpeciate it guys, and i cant wait to get this car movin!

I also plan on putting my alpine head unit in, as well as my 2X10" XTANT subs in the back (if they fit), with a 200 watt bass amp.

very excited!:lol:

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Trunk weather stripping (hard to find) - Toyota
Ball joints (both sides) - Toyota
outer tie rod ends (both sides) - Toyota
Exhaust pipe - Depends on which section you're talking about, but most shops can weld, hence CHEAP exhaust pipe.
radiator shroud - Any mk3 from a junkyard that wasn't a front end collision should have one.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
You won't find 15-20 year old weather stripping in good shape...and for Supra parts, if the $60 is a concern, you are in for a whole new world of hurt if you need any hard parts...

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so far i've been doing pretty well on the parts. i'll hit up the weather stripping if i need to at 60, but frankly, you can get the same parts for alot cheaper online, as i could out with the tie end rods and ball joints. my big concern is the radiator fan shroud, as its getting hard to find

·
Registered
19 Posts
you don't need no stinkin radiator shroud...when I got my car the it just had a new engine put in it and the shroud was all pieced together with bailing wire. Took that off first, electric fans are the way to go anyway.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
bad7mgte said:
you don't need no stinkin radiator shroud...when I got my car the it just had a new engine put in it and the shroud was all pieced together with bailing wire. Took that off first, electric fans are the way to go anyway.
Umm.. No.

The shroud has proven to be a VERY important piece in the cooling system of the Supra. Think "Path of least resistance". Is it easier to go around the radiator, or through it. Without the fan shroud there "around" is how it ends up going and that decreases cooling efficency.

As for electric fans, for some climates they've proven un-reliable.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Jeeves said:
Umm.. No.

The shroud has proven to be a VERY important piece in the cooling system of the Supra. Think "Path of least resistance". Is it easier to go around the radiator, or through it. Without the fan shroud there "around" is how it ends up going and that decreases cooling efficency.
Agreed. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i jsut bought the shroud and the weather stripping from Toyota,

however, i needto find an alternative to 300 dollar hood insulation, cause that s*** is ridiculous.

the car will be ready in about a week, i'll post pics when i get a chance!!!

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
i needto find an alternative to 300 dollar hood insulation
How about none? ;-) Seriously, here in NM (mainly due to Heat Issues) people remove them commonly. Makes the hood a little lighter, the engine noise a little louder, and it reduces trapped heat some. Unless you've got to be in full, all out stock trim, I see no reason to even attempt to replace it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
howabout corrosion of the hood?
me mechanic is right now fillingi n the rust holes on the hood. however, this time he's treating the underside with navy gel, so it probably wont corrode anymore after that.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
If anything, the insulation may TRAP in moisture, accelerating rust.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
With the clearcoat and paint that's on a hood it seems to me that even on salty roads would be a tough thing to rust or corrode.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
Then I'm curious as to what's happened there. I've got access to 8 Supras here in town, all have that removed, none have anything like you say. Got photos?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts