Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
COLOGNE, Germany (AP) - Formula One driver Ralf Schumacher signed a three-year contract with Toyota on Wednesday, meaning he will leave BMW-Williams at the end of the season after five years.

Schumacher's move also means Williams will have two new drivers next season. Juan Pablo Montoya is switching to McLaren-Mercedes.

Toyota's two drivers this season are Olivier Panis of France and Cristiano da Matta of Brazil.

"We still haven't decided who will be Ralf's partner next year," said Toyota team chief Tsutomu Tomita.

Schumacher has won six races for Williams.

The brother of six-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher is recovering from injuries suffered at the U.S. Grand Prix in Indianapolis on June 20, when he broke two vertebrae, and hopes to be back at the Hungarian GP on Aug. 15.

© Copyright 2004 The Canadian Press

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a repost, but I searched and couldn't find it on here. I'm excited :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not. RS is only in F1 cuz of his last name. The guy's taking up room that should really be given to Alex Wurz. 6 years in williams and only 6 wins is REALLY dismal.

As for seats in Williams'; rumour has it that Webber would be going there as early as Hungary this season. SFW has to pay Jag for every race that Webber is in his car from now till the end of 2005.

I wish toyota would know how to deal with drivers a lil better. They're still leaving CDM and OP hanging in terms of next year's employment. If you aren't going to retain people's services, say so early so they can look at ohter options. :disappoin

Biggest budget in F1 and running back of the pack and they blame the drivers :rolleyes:

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Good for the lad. in a profession where most car drivers are son's of drivers, its nice to know a son of a german brick layer can make it (well after his bro did). :thumbup:

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
So now Ferrari will be running 5 cars in F1:

- 2 Red Ferraris
- 2 Blue Ferraris (Sauber)
- 1 Red and white Ferrari (RS in the TF10X)

RS is not a good pilot, mediocre at best; his Race/Win/Pole Position ratio is the worse in 2 years and to top it off he can't see his brother ahead and overtake him because he thinks he (MS) will beat the crap out of him if he even dares.

RS is a waste of a seat in Williams. I hope Jaques Villeneuve makes the team in 2005, he deserves having a seat next year at Williams, after wasting his time and money at BAR it would be nice to see him back and challange MS in a more competitve car

·
Registered
66 Posts
Saubers are blue;
they're swiss made

hence they are no ferrari ;)

those who says the two cars look alike (the current Sauber compared to the F2003GA) needs their eyes checked pronto.

or they just suck at attention to detail.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I would love to see MS beat the shit out of RS for passing him or something.

Sounds like a good Car & Driver April fools article.

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
MR1 said:
Saubers are blue;
they're swiss made

hence they are no ferrari ;)

those who says the two cars look alike (the current Sauber compared to the F2003GA) needs their eyes checked pronto.

or they just suck at attention to detail.
In the F1 world Saubers are called The Blue Ferraris because they use the same engine and drive train that last season Ferrari's used; Ferrari supplyes Sauber with engines and other components; besides that the aero design is very similar to last season Ferrari.

·
Registered
66 Posts
lcarocha said:
In the F1 world Saubers are called The Blue Ferraris because they use the same engine and drive train that last season Ferrari's used; Ferrari supplyes Sauber with engines and other components; besides that the aero design is very similar to last season Ferrari.
have you heard their engine notes?

it's COMPLETELY different.

if their car is as similar to the ferrari as most people claim it is, then how is it that Fisi runs at midpack and not near the front. and massa sucks even in qualifying.
don't forget Massa is the ONLY person on this planet to have driven both the Sauber and the F2003GA; and even he admits that the difference between these two cars are night and day.

Their nose ALONE is drastically different; i don't see how it can be drastically different yet similar at the same time.

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Sauber used to run the exact same engine Ferrari used the previous season, until this year.
This year Ferrari supplyes their actual engine and Petronas does some "tweeking" at the Maranello facilities, yeah, Maranello, the same place where Ferraris are built; so it's not a popular believe, it's a fact.
Here is the link where you can see for yourself

CLICK

As for the shape its SIMILAR not a carbon copy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
lcarocha said:
LAST years engines....!!! Ferrari isn't so dumb as to give Sauber it's current engines, it's not a popular believe, it's a fact.

As for the shape its SIMILAR not a carbon copy.
you do know that unless they look IDENTICAL; they won't perform the same right ;)

go read jun 2004 issue of F1 racing.

it's THIS YEAR'S engine and gearbox.

and THAT is a fact. (unless you know better than felipe massa ;) )

·
Urban Nomad
626 Posts
If only Toyota could match the success of the BAR Honda team, they're doing really great. Sato is a star in the making I believe, if only he didn't have so many mechanical problems this season. His driving style is aggressive and fun to watch, I also heard he started racing when he was 19! I still don't think Toyota will be a match for Williams, Honda or Ferrari even with RS, every with they're huge budget.

·
Registered
66 Posts
BAR had a huge budget when they first popped onto the scene, they didn't do jack squat from their first season to last year.

It's only toyota's 3rd season; NO team has had instant success when they first came on, and that's including Stewart.

I think toyota can get it done; if they can manage their resources better.

AE92
0 Posts
It's great news, i have heard about the rumours, and now its offical. Ralf will be racing the TF105 next season :)

I feel next year will be either make it or break type season. They don't have anymore excuses. Next year will be their 4th full season in F1. Now they have a better driver with RS.

I hope they can perform better next year, if not then i think they should just pull out of F1. Their perfomance this year has not been great at all.

But i've supported them from the begining to so i hope that they can turn this season around, and have an awesome season next year. But i have a feellin that it wont happen , even with RS as on of their drivers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
RS won't make or break the team. They did pretty good w/ CDM and OP last season.

It's up to Gazza (Mike Gascoyne...sp? ) to make a kick ass car. He did it for Renault; now we just gotta wait to see if he can do his magic @ toyota

AE92
0 Posts
Yeah i hope Mike Gascoyne can do his magic at Toyota. Well the updated TF104 - B will be out for the next race :)

I'm just sick of watching the team not perform up to their potentional. I know that they can get better results then they have gotten this year so far.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well the TF104 is faster than the TF103; it's about 1.5s per lap quicker according to them.

Problem is, everyone else's new car is 2-3 seconds faster :eek:

So basically, they just didn't make as big a jump as the opponents did; which of course leaves em wayyyyy back. :disappoin

·
Formula One Fanatic
299 Posts
the only thing that matters in modern f1 is money, and toyota has way more of it than anyone, ferrari included. they've lured away ralf schumacher and more importantly mike gascoyne. he's already started to implement the dual design team that worked so well at renault. toyota also have an excellent engine program going, up there with ferrari and honda (well over 900 bhp).

i personally would like to see david coulthard in the 2nd seat at toyota. he's got the experience and is a very reliable driver. i'm sad to see him leave mclaren, but gotta make room for jpm!

·
Registered
66 Posts
doesn't seem to be doing them any good at the moment does it ;)
slower than even SAUBER for god's sakes.

not sure next year won't be different, but right now, their money is getting them nothing but frustrations

·
Formula One Fanatic
299 Posts
look at bar for inspiration. bat bought out tyrrell back in 98 or 99 i think, and they're only NOW starting to look impressive. 2002 was toyota's first year, so they should be on the pace by 2007, but i think we'll see a definate improvement next year, and quite possibly regular podiums in 2006.

word is that my favorite driver of all time, mika hakkinen might be coming back. it would be AMAZING if toyota were to get him, but that's just me wishing...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts