Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a cracked exhaust manifold..... it basically cracked around the 3th piston outlet.. i dont know how it happened/ i didnt even notice when it did crack. i was changing my oil and i had to take out the metal guard thing and once i took it out i saw that it was craccked.
i asked toyota and they said 180 bucks.. i laughed and walked out hahaha

im thinking of getting it from www.autopartswarehouse.com becuz thats were i got my strut bar from and... a manifold is about 70 w/o tax and shipping...

give me sum options or sumthing shud i stay wit the oem or get a performance mani... i dont think its gunna make too much of a difference thx

·
Registered
398 Posts
ebay my friend

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you can find a muffler shop to do it the crack can be MIG welded, wouldn't think that would cost much. Probably wouldn't last forever but it can be done...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont know wat size the engine is.. but its a 3 speed and i have this big converter looking thing rite after the manifold

·
Official TN Toaster
2000 Celica GT-S
623 Posts
3 speed automatic would be a 1.6 liter 4AFE engine. By big converter, do you mean the thing that looks like woven metal? That part is what keeps the exhaust pipe from cracking when the engine moves..

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
160 Posts
My trusted mechanic noticed the same thing when he worked on my 97 last summer.
I bought a new one from Advance Auto Parts for just over $100.
Yeah. I could've gotten one cheaper online or at a local salvage yard, but I had a little extra $$$ to spend and just wanted to get-r-done ASAP.

JT

·
AE101 4A-FE
1996 Toyota Corolla
42 Posts
I have the same problem, a guy told me I can probably just use some JB Weld, is this true? Have any of you done this to fix this problem before?

Thanks

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
I have the same problem, a guy told me I can probably just use some JB Weld, is this true? Have any of you done this to fix this problem before?

Thanks
try it out for yourself... it's cheaper than a new exhaust manifold

reminds me that I need to repair or replace mine as well, if I can only find the time. :disappoin

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have the same crack, its only a hairline crack.

I have done this to other peoples cars, I am just lazy right this second to do it to mine.

Purchase QuickSteel or might be QuikSteel from your local auto parts dealer, remove the heat shield, and apply a nicely packed, THICK layer over the crack, MAKE SURE THE MANIFOLD IS COLD.

**JB Weld works too, also, apply cold please.

·
AE101 4A-FE
1996 Toyota Corolla
42 Posts
I'm going to try using the JB Weld this weekend. I'll let you guys know how well it works, or if it works at all.

·
AE101 4A-FE
1996 Toyota Corolla
42 Posts
Used the JB Weld. Applied it then let cure for a little over 24 hours (was replacing tranny so it was the best time to do it). When I started her up yesterday it sounded a lot nicer. Definitely recommend people to use it if their manifolds are cracked.

Also, it says to use a putty knife or something. But just use your finger. Mix the tubes together evenly then apply it with your finger. You can get it into the cracks a lot easier. Once you get some into the crack, Cake what ever you have left on. At most, you should only use about half of each tube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was at walmart, quicksteel said it's good up to 500F, JB weld up to 600F, so picked up JBWeld instead.

JB didn't work for me. Mixed and applied generously over three cracked places on ex manifold. Let it hardened for 48hrs. The heat just burned right thru it. Not to mention it gave a very nasty burning smell.

So, I'll just weld it then.

·
Almost Hero
1997 Corolla
36 Posts
I also have a crack in my exhaust manifold. It's large enough that I'd rather replace it.
I've found two main types of OE replacements: one with a hole for an O2 sensor and one without it.

Can someone tell me which one is needed on my car?
A 1997 Corolla DX 1.6L

EDIT: I've discovered that the O2 sensor and EGR are not on the manifold.

·
Almost Hero
1997 Corolla
36 Posts
I just bought and the heat shield is very scratched, the gaskets is a little bent and looks like nothing mored than cardboard and metallic spraypaint. Generally the worksmanship looks bad, but the part looks like it will function fine. I picked the least scratched out of 3.
Has anyone here purchased the OE replecement in better/worse condition?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
The manifolds crack, its a common problem. As for using jbweld, lol, on an exhaust manifold which tops at 1000C during a long pull, wouldnt expect it to stick for a long time, especially if you just put it ontop of the crack with a finger. Also welding cast iron has its own issues, it has to be done with a special procedure and pre heating and with a stick rather than mig.

My two cents, better to get a header from ebay.

·
Almost Hero
1997 Corolla
36 Posts
Here are some rather large pictures of what I'm talking about.

Some scratches

warpage

bent gasket and what looks like a scissor pinch on one of the seals

1 - 20 of 28 Posts