Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Offical nut
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok here the deal My understanding is the lower the impedence(ohms) the more current goes though the system and the more unstable it becomes. I have a t-220 alpine amp running an 8 ohm box. Which mathmatically should imply I'm running half the current which should be safe for the amp. Is this logic way off? Also I never turned the system up over 50%. Thesystem had been in for a month and I finnly used it for a couple of hours on a road trip and well the amp blew up and I'm now questiioning it. But on the other hand the amp should have gone into thermal protection and didn't

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did you hear any distortion before it blew? What is the ratings on your sub and amp?

·
edud NT laiciffO
161 Posts
I got ur specs from the alpine website for the MRP-T220.

14.4V RMS Continuous Power
2ohm; Stereo (0.3% THD) 70W x 2
4ohm; Bridged (0.3% THD) 140W x 1
• S/N Ratio 100 dBA
• Bass Engine®
• Subsonic Filter
• 18dB HP/LP (80Hz) Crossover
• 4 Volt Input Capability
• STAR Topology & Duo-B Circuitry
• Darlington Bi-Polar Outputs
• MOSFET Power Supply
• Speaker Level Input
• Blue Power LED

The ohm impedance should not have been the cause for the amp blowing being that your speaker ohm level did not go below the specified ohm resistance of the amp. My guess is that you might screwed the amp into to a metal bracket behind your seat or wherever you screwed down the amp and grounded out the amp.

·
Registered
332 Posts
How did you wire up your sub?

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
It's cuz Apline SUCKS!!! :thumbdown

yeh ok thats just my oppinion :)

Even if the amp was attached right to the frame it should not have fried the amp - if anything it would just shut it off untill it is moved and this wouldnt happen 'all of a sudden' it would have happened right from the start.

My verdict - the power cap in the amp has blown (this is a known problem with alpine amps) probably not worth getting fixed because the part alone is 100CA

Jeff

·
Registered
Highlander
1,613 Posts
Leaking caps will not cause an amp to malfunction, the amp may not hold its voltage constantly, and will not be able to filter out the spikes in the 12V line.

Alpine amps do not suck, it's the quality of the install that may suck. They may have had used inferior caps before, but that alone doesn't dictate the outcome of their product. Tell me the old MRV-1005 suck...

·
Offical nut
112 Posts
the sub is a 7" subsolution tsss rated at 160W I know I know not name brand big bass xxxx but it sound good and I can still use the back of the cab. I didn't get the system to piss off my neighbors I got it to listen to. Alpine amp is rated at 220W peak 140W constant bridged at 4ohms. So 220/2 = 110W max load would be put on the amp 70 watts constant and I don't think I put more than 50 watts on it. I didn't stress the amp. According to alpine (tech support their is no damn way I could have come close to the limits using the 8 ohm unit)
To the alpine hater. ITS ALL JAP CRAP no matter what u buy. Alpine is at least partially american owned and desighned. I used to be a sony fan but they cant get their mechanisms right on the mobile decks.

I was truckin along for about 2-3 hours and "What the [email protected]#$ is that smell. No bass. danm I was pissed. I still had a hundred miles to go and I still had to come back and no bass. CHecked the fuse, blown. OK replace the fuse, pop. Not the speaker. I tested it on my brothers car. took it to the shop. set right at 7.95 ohms subsolutions

As far as the install this was the first time I had a shop do it since I didn't want to tear into a brand new truck. Dispite the amp issue 70 bucks for an install to be was worth it. I'm confused as to the how I wired it question. their is only one way to wire it?
4 guage i think, red to the battery. 4 guage black to the frame. blue to the remote on the deck. in bridge mode plus to plus and minus to minus on the speaker. 2 rca cables which don't matter because its mono. amp is bolted under the seat

so any idea as the verdict? simple that one in ten thousand that came out of the factory bad. I still can't rule out somethin roling around and shorted it out. I have to have everything double check to see if they pinched a wire somewere when installed. we'll see

Edited to keep profanity down.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Higher then rated ohm is not good too. Current is not the only thing here, Voltage is here also. With a high ohm speaker, the amp need higher Voltage to push it. Even you're lower on current, you're overloading the voltage control circuit. You'll tends to crank it higher since it won't sound as loud. Just see if you can get warranty from your amp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts