Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I bought my first ever Toyota car today and it is due for an oil change in 250 miles. It is a 2005 Toyota Camry 3.0l V6, what oil and filter is best for this engine? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,472 Posts
Oil Debate #xxxxxxxxxxx

·
イリジウム
11,942 Posts
Walmart has 5 qt jugs of synthetics. Mobil-1, Castrol or just Supertech. Look at your manual for the temperature range. 5W30 maybe?

Oil filter look on rockauto. Search up a 5% off code. But I’d just use Motorcraft FL400S from Walmart, it’s a larger version. Works fine.

Yeah this is answer #xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xx1 ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just want the best for my car... I live in Central WI and temps reach below 0 in January. What weigh should I use in winter and summer? Also any trusted oil filters from you experts? Mobil 1 0W-40 I always used in my BMW E36, but just want input from fellow Toyota peeps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not an expert, but I’ve got a 2005 3.3L. I run Pennzoil Platinum high mileage synthetic with an upsized Fram Ultra (V8) filter since I only change once a year (6K.)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Well I just want the best for my car... I live in Central WI and temps reach below 0 in January. What weigh should I use in winter and summer? Also any trusted oil filters from you experts? Mobil 1 0W-40 I always used in my BMW E36, but just want input from fellow Toyota peeps.
0W-40 European Formula is appropriate for German cars, but not Asian or American cars (unless it is something like the new Toyota Supra, which is made by BMW).

I would suggest Mobil 1 0W-30 for your car. It is an excellent quality motor oil that you can use all year in Wisconsin. Best price is probably at Walmart purchased in 5-quart jugs. Try not to wait until the weekend to shop for motor oil at Walmart, because the shelves are sometimes a bit sparse by then.

Walmart has some decent oil filters, so long as you don't buy the cheapest ones. Or get one at your Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Valvoline synpower FTW :p 5w30 or 5w40 whichever one goes on sale. Or Castrol Edge 10w30, or Nulon 5w30, Shell Helix 5w40 and what not! C'mon, it's a Camry, they're not picky, just use whatever syn is on sale, decent filters (personally prefer OEM or Ryco), change them regularly and keep driving it.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Valvoline synpower FTW :p 5w30 or 5w40 whichever one goes on sale. Or Castrol Edge 10w30, or Nulon 5w30, Shell Helix 5w40 and what not! C'mon, it's a Camry, they're not picky, just use whatever syn is on sale, decent filters (personally prefer OEM or Ryco), change them regularly and keep driving it.
For someone who lives in WI, where temps get below 0 F in the winter (according to the thread starter), 10W-30 is probably not be a good idea. Even a 5W oil is a bit iffy as to what is optimal in those conditions.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,499 Posts
I use Mobil I 0W-20 EP for winter and Mobil I 0W-30 AFE for summer with OEM Denso YZDD1 or YZDD3 oil filter. And the Denso OEM air filter. After 15 years the V6 runs like new and doesn't consume oil between service.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello I bought my first ever Toyota car today and it is due for an oil change in 250 miles. It is a 2005 Toyota Camry 3.0l V6, what oil and filter is best for this engine? Thanks in advance.
I bought a 19998 Camry V-6 in 200 with 30k miles. At 50k iI switched to full synthetic. At about 90k I experienced leaks everywhere. Both front and rear main seals, oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. I was told full synthetic wasnt the cause. I also was told by many shops that the 1998 V-6 engines don't have these leaks even after many miles.
As much as full synthetic is great lubrication for any engine, I truly believe it was the culprit for all the leaks I experienced. I would stick with good grade of regular oil and make sure to change it every 3k miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done all the maintenance on my 2005 Camry XLE with a 2.4 and now have 185,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 8,000 miles using Castrol 5-30 full synthetic oil and a fram synthetic filter and do not burn ANY oil between oil changes. Living in Western N.Y. my weather is similar to yours.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have done all the maintenance on my 2005 Camry XLE with a 2.4 and now have 185,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 8,000 miles using Castrol 5-30 full synthetic oil and a fram synthetic filter and do not burn ANY oil between oil changes. Living in Western N.Y. my weather is similar to yours.
Have you had any oil leaking at all since using it? At what mileage did you start using it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you had any oil leaking at all since using it? At what mileage did you start using it?
I bought the vehicle with 48,000 miles back in 2010. I have no oil leaks and it doesn't burn any oil between changes. The only thing I've done is install a new valve cover gasket at 110,000 miles. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought the vehicle with 48,000 miles back in 2010. I have no oil leaks and it doesn't burn any oil between changes. The only thing I've done is install a new valve cover gasket at 110,000 miles. Hope this helps.
Thank for reply.So you put on 137,000 miles with full synthetic and had no leaks other than valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I bought a 19998 Camry V-6 in 200 with 30k miles. At 50k iI switched to full synthetic. At about 90k I experienced leaks everywhere. Both front and rear main seals, oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. I was told full synthetic wasnt the cause. I also was told by many shops that the 1998 V-6 engines don't have these leaks even after many miles.
As much as full synthetic is great lubrication for any engine, I truly believe it was the culprit for all the leaks I experienced. I would stick with good grade of regular oil and make sure to change it every 3k miles
I purchased a 1998 Camry 3.0 V6 brand new. I owned it for 11 years until 2009, and used Mobil 1 5W-30 since the first oil change. Per the dipstick reading, the engine never used any oil in between oil changes. No oil leaks or oil residue anywhere on the outside of the engine. My current vehicle (not a Toyota) is now 11 years old, and likewise no oil usage or leaks using Mobil 1 5W-30 EP. I change the oil every 5000-6000 miles or 1 year, which ever comes first.

The trick is to use synthetic oil from the first oil change, and to do proper engine break-in (which means do not baby the engine or run it at a constant RPM during the break-in period). I believe that Mobil 1 has a good additive package to treat the gaskets and seals to keep them from leaking.

If I owned a vehicle that was old enough, or started to use any amount of oil, I would switch to Mobil 1 High Mileage oil, maybe using a higher viscosity than I was using before. High Mileage oil has additional additives to treat the seals and gaskets on older engines. But once you switch to a High Mileage, oil the seals and gaskets will swell to prevent leaks, so you need to continue using it or else the seals will shrink back causing massive leaks. Same goes for other oil additives (which I would discourage people from using).

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Look under the hood, at the oil fill cap, it will tell you what weight oil to us.
IMO, on a car built in 1998 with normal amount of mileage for a 22 year old car, one should not blindly use the oil viscosity recommended by the manufacturer. After that amount of time and mileage, there is often enough engine wear to justify using a slightly higher viscosity, especially if there is any oil usage in-between oil changes. In some cases, a High Mileage oil may be needed (but not a good idea to start using High Mileage oil and then switch back to regular oil).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts