Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I decided to roll up my sleeves and start cleaning up inside the engine bay today on my 91 turbo. I may have been better off just leaving it be; as the old saying goes, ignorance is bliss.

But as I pointed out earlier I want to leave this car mainly stock, but I want to do as much as I can in order to get it sealed up tight, running great and just generally well maintained. Dare I say bulletproof. Maybe bullet resistant is a more reasonable goal, lol...

Soooo. I was cleaning the engine bay. I already knew there is a nasty leak around the valve cover and I noticed the screws that held the cover on could easily be tightened much more than I figured they would(do they just work loose? Who was the engineer who came up with this crappy idea?). I don't know if that means much, but hopefully I will get a manual soon and figure out how to dig that valve cover out of there.

Which leads me to my next unfortunate question. I started pulling some stuff off to just explore, see how far in I could get to the valve cover and the first thing I did was to remove the pipe that's coming from the intercooler to the intake.

That's when I got pissed.

The inside of the pipe and the rubber hosing that connects it has some pretty nasty oil build up on it(again on the inside). Not super major but there definitely is some oil in there.

Dare I ask a stupid question? ok... Soo, is this normal? I don't think so and I think it means my turbo needs to be rebuilt because one of the seals inside of it is leaking oil, which is getting into the intake(my fuel injectors and spark plugs must be nasty, or does the oil incinerate in the explosions? There's no smoke when I start it and it idles like a [email protected] wtf!). I inspected the outside shell of the turbo and it is just covered in oil. When I originally looked at the car I noticed the turbo was dark colored, I figured it was just a dark color. Nope, I started cleaning it off and it was shiny underneath, lol.

So, what is the most reasonable, least expensive path to take in order to seal up the turbo. Do they make rebuild kits for them or do I have to buy a new turbo? Anybody recently rebuild their turbo and then go to aftermarket instead? lol...

Another question while I'm posting something. What is the best manual to get in order to work on this? A toyota service manual? I know there is one online but I can't tell if that's the best I will be able to do or if there's a better one out there.

What's the best product to use to break down all of this grease/oil buildup all over the engine?

That should do it for now.

/desperately trying to keep in high spirits about all of this...

eclypz

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
the online manual is the best there is...its the actual toyota manual for our cars......oil in IC pipes is normal.....if u really want to eliminate oil blow off from the turbo..u'll have to install an oil catch can....greddy makes one that is reasonable in price....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what you're saying then is it's normal for the turbo itself to have a fair amount of oil buildup coating it and for the intake to have some oil residue in it as well? There was almost a fine mist of oil that had been sprayed over time on the heat shield in front of the turbo. This might not be so bad after all then, no?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would a ct26 out of an 88 supra work as a rebuild? I could buy this and then rebuild it, unless it's not the same kind, and then replace it just to be sure.

ebay listing

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I talked to the toyota guys and they said they saw the same thing on the turbo that I did but that it is actually cosmoline that has gathered dirt and debrit over the years. I suppose I will be willing to go along with that notion.

Any answers to the previous questions? Specifically the turbo from the supra? I could always use the extra one and rebuild it if possible so that I have a backup...

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Supra CT26's are single entry.... mr2 are twin entry. Also... there is no actuator. You are probably better off getting an mr2 version. Or... you could pickup a ct20b :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm... I guess the question still begs to be asked, can these things be rebuilt? How much would it cost? The post says it's in great shape, but then again mine could be too. As I said previously, it sounds like I was over reacting about the whole oil thing and the cosmoline on the turbo was what I was mistaking for a big problem, so perhaps I'm fine?/??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts