Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I know that it should be done at 32000, but a little old lady might think ok I only need it done at 34000, so going 2000 km over the change interval, that is really stupid.
Going that far over the change interval once or twice shouldn't do any harm. But keep repeating that....will definitely shorten the engine life.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The system of 5000 mile check/ rotations, with 10000 mile oil/filter changes is confusing to some dealerships, as the interim service is rather unnecessary, they should put on a 10k sticker for oil and a 5k sticker for tire rotation?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The system of 5000 mile check/ rotations, with 10000 mile oil/filter changes is confusing to some dealerships, as the interim service is rather unnecessary, they should put on a 10k sticker for oil and a 5k sticker for tire rotation?
I have mine in reversed order for 10k tire rotation and 5k oil change :D

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have mine in reversed order for 10k tire rotation and 5k oil change :D
FWD? 10K tire rotation means uneven wear, fine if FWD as one can just replace 2 tires at a time, maybe not even worth rotating them, but AWD the tires have to be kept relatively even in tread depth.

·
Registered
71 Posts
FWD? 10K tire rotation means uneven wear, fine if FWD as one can just replace 2 tires at a time, maybe not even worth rotating them, but AWD the tires have to be kept relatively even in tread depth.
Probably but not enough to notice at least for me. I'm also not running super sticky race tires or anything. I've done 10k miles X pattern on all of my cars for years. My other Corolla had 310k miles, my Tacoma had 305k miles, my 4Runner had 250k miles, and my Honda Odyssey had 170k miles. Dang I drive a lot hahaha

·
Registered
3 Posts
I understand your concern. I also got older, and while spent my life working on stuff, I have bad health now, and decided that I would spend an extra few dollars and let the dealer change the oil. Things on cars have changed and the parts are made cheaper..... crappier... and the expense to replace broken parts is very high. So, I just pay an extra $20.00 and let them change the oil and filter and rotate the tires. If I screw up I pay, if they screw up they pay. At least it should be that way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Really disappointed in the local Toyota dealer, Toyota of Cool Springs in Franklin, TN. The oil was changed last March in my 2017 Highlander. Since then, the mileage has increased by 6,000 miles. I wanted to change the oil. I picked up 6 quarts of Mobil1 and a Toyota filter. I found that the dealer had really cranked down on the oil filter housing. The Toyota spec calls for torque of 25 N-m (19 ft-lb) for the filter and 13 N-m (10 ft-lb) for the small aluminum drain plug on the bottom of the housing.

The filter housing wouldn’t budge. I got out my beam torque wrench, and found that the filter housing was torqued in excess of 120 ft-lb. The small aluminum drain plug on the filter was in excess of 60 ft-lb. This isn’t the first time. Before the 2017 Highlander, I owned a 2010 Highlander. The same thing happened at the same dealer. I never took the vehicle back to that shop. There is one more oil change that is pre-paid on this 2017 Highlander that I might take advantage of at the 24-month mark.

In my opinion, there is no excuse for a dealer service shop to have such disregard for Toyota’s specs. The Toyota filter box has a warning in bold font "DO NOT OVER-TORQUE". Spec for lug nuts is 76 ft-lb, and they put 120 ft-lb on an oil filter. Crazy.

Anyone else noticed similar situation?
As a Tennessean, my experience with dealers here have been mostly negative.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well......just had the 20,000 mile Toyota Care oil change, etc. They over filled the oil, but got the filter right....

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
When dealership changes the oil they are taking responsibility for doing the job adequately, it is basic consumer law really. If the filter is a bit tight but otherwise undamaged then they are going to argue what is the problem, but if it falls off driving down the road afterwards then they are potentially liable.
Potentially, yes. But how can you prove it was their fault, especially if it didn't come loose for a few days or weeks later? How much will it cost you to file a lawsuit?

If the oil drains out and the engine is ruined, they are not going to want to take responsibility because it would cost them thousands dollars to replace it. A completely new 2.5L engine for a 2018 Camry is $14K MSRP and the dealer cost is probably a little over $8K. Even a short block is nearly $2.8K MSRP, but probably not many dealers have techs that can replace a short block, and even if they did, there would be a ton of labor hours involved. If the engine is only slightly damaged, but still functional, they will just say there was no permanent damage (even if there actually was).

If a dealer has a fast oil change service area in their shop where you watch what they are doing (at least through a window) I would feel better about it. Otherwise, I would be tempted to take it to an oil change shop were I can watch (but not a national change like Jiffy Lube). Fortunately, I own a home with an attached garage, and can do my own oil changes with ease.

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
765 Posts
Potentially, yes. But how can you prove it was their fault, especially if it didn't come loose for a few days or weeks later? How much will it cost you to file a lawsuit?
Agreed! Unless the mechanic's finger prints can be lifted from the oil filter and somehow video taped with a witness witnessing the process of removing the filter showing it was over torqued etc.., otherwise, all is argumentative; Even the individual is a lawyer... unless there can be a civil case lawsuit (with enough customers & damages) against that particular dealership may be worth it. o_O

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
I have seen it myself as well, they crank down with ZERO consideration to spec, but make sure it is on tight as they can crank it.

DIY DIY DIY is RIGHT!!!! If you cant c hange your own oil, find a good mechanic that can. BUSY dealerships are the worst of the bunch. One time I had a oily rag sitting on my exhaust pipes!
Just a matter of TIME for the dealer to screw something up. They need to make dealer repair shops like Subway sandwich visible assembly lines, or some car washes you see your car go through. You should be able to see how your car is treated. Or a mechanics bay with cameras showing you the car and work as you sit in the lobby. This MIGHT give consumers a little more transparency, BUT sometimes with a false sense of security(they can still visually block what is really being done).

101 - 112 of 112 Posts