Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week there were some people asking how hard It was to do an oil change on the iM groups. I figure that I'd share it with other Corolla groups since it's the same process. I don't think many 2ZR Corollas have the plastic undercover tray but the rest is the same. I had to do mine so I made a video for the novice that has never changed the oil on a car before, hope this helps!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to share this. (y)
That took me much longer than normal trying to make sure I went over every step for someone that had never done it before! :)

·
Premium Member
Corolla 2010 Basic
1,002 Posts
That took me much longer than normal trying to make sure I went over every step for someone that had never done it before! :)
Did it once with the Corolla, I bought everything that I was supposed to buy for an oil change, Lift the car and locked with the Jack stands, proceed to remove the oil filter, then my nightmare started, I bought the wrench, the key, etc, didn't move a mm, then I try my drill for torque and nothing, until I hit the wrench with my extinguisher; so well I was already into one hour of my time on a Sunday.
After I removed the filter everything went nice and easy but I'm still hesitant to do it again, it's been 3 oil filter changes since that happened:unsure:.
I would add to the video what to do if the oil filter is too tight and what to do to remove it but is very helpful, good job Jim, I will subscribe to your youtube channel and I hope all other members of the community will do, we learn a lot from videos.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did it once with the Corolla, I bought everything that I was supposed to buy for an oil change, Lift the car and locked with the Jack stands, proceed to remove the oil filter, then my nightmare started, I bought the wrench, the key, etc, didn't move a mm, then I try my drill for torque and nothing, until I hit the wrench with my extinguisher; so well I was already into one hour of my time on a Sunday.
After I removed the filter everything went nice and easy but I'm still hesitant to do it again, it's been 3 oil filter changes since that happened:unsure:.
I would add to the video what to do if the oil filter is too tight and what to do to remove it but is very helpful, good job Jim, I will subscribe to your youtube channel and I hope all other members of the community will do, we learn a lot from videos.
That's why I don't let others do my oil changes because they always install the filters too tight. If you have the proper oil filter cap to remove it like I showed a breaker bar will help remove it every time. If you got it off you would have been set from that point on. If you install the oil filter properly it will be very simple to remove as mine was. I was expecting it to be much tighter since the last oil change was done at a dealer for my last Toyotacare freebie. I asked them to install it properly and not too tight, looks like they listened. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts