Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
00 rolla VE
2000 Corolla
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm planning on changing my oil tomorrow. just wanted to ask is 4 1/2 months on conventional oil too long of an interval?

now before i get flamed for abusing my car, i just wanted to say that i try to conserve my corolla as much as i can. i only drive it to school during the week, to other schools if i have track meets and to church on sundays. normally if i'm going anywhere far or it's on weekends, i drive my parents cars.

so basically in the 4 and 1/2 month, i only drove 2000 miles.

and i know fram has a bad reputation in filters, but autozone here is doing a sale. 19.99+tax for 5 quarts of castrol high mileage and a fram tough guard filter as a promotional package.

so, is the fram tough guard any good? i did some research online, but most that i found are just people's opinons, didn't find much facts.

·
Toyota Tech in training!
1999 toyota corolla
350 Posts
4.5 months isnt bad for 2000 miles so no flaming here.
if you ARE going to use a fram then the toughgard is the way to go. just change the oil no later than 3000 miles or reap the consequences

·
00 rolla VE
2000 Corolla
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. exactly the info i needed.

that makes me feel a bit better putting the tough guard on the car.

the tough guard comes with the package so either i use that or buy another filter at my own expense.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
Fram filters suck. They will work OK but they always come in last in comparisons.
The best filter without spending a ton is Toyota Brand, get it from the dealer parts department or order online. Otherwise you can pony up for the fancy royal purple level stuff.

2,000 miles is low, so that's good.

What I reccomend for a ballance of best performing products versus price is Mobile One Synthetic Oil and Toyota Brand Filters.

I don't think your hurting the car though.

·
00 rolla VE
2000 Corolla
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car burns about a quart of oil every 1.5k so i don't think synthetic will hold up to it. the car wasn't abused, it just burns oil...

i'm planning on rebuilding the engine after graduation (in about 2 years) always wanted to learn how to rebuild an engine, i figured 1zz-fe would be an easy one to start with.

i will switch to synthetic after the rebuild. right now i'm just looking for something that won't cost me a lot without doing damage to the engine

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
I've used FRAM filters plenty of times during oil changes and I've had no problems with them.

There are better options out there obviously, but for that price, who can complain?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
You are fine on oil change time, mileage and using mineral oil.

Fram has dropped their quality over the years but the ToughGuard is a higher grade and should be fine.

·
00 rolla VE
2000 Corolla
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks guy for the info

when i was draining the oil, it was still a bit clear, so next time i'll probably wait till it reach 2500 before changing the oil out.

when i started the car i did notice the oil light stayed on for maybe a second or 2. can this be caused by no oil inside the oil filter? i shutted the car off, restarted it after 2 hours, and the light went off as soon as the engine turned over.

i dunno if this always occurred after oil changes. it's the first time i noticed it.

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
When you drain the oil for an oil change, there is no oil in the system. The oil pump takes time to circulate oil throughout, so of course the light will be on for a couple seconds. It's a common occurrence. The same goes for if you haven't started the car in quite a while. Royal Purple helps in this aspect due to it's Synerlec technology. The oil actually forms a film of lubricant that remains on the internal surfaces after the motor has been shut off. It keeps everything lubricated for the next time you start the car up again. However, this only works for shorter time intervals of non-use. You can't expect it to stay lubricated after a week of not driving it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
7500 Miles for me..

I usually go about 7500 miles before I get my oil changed... Is that bad? I always go to the same place (Valley Toyota), because they give me good discounts and fast service, and they've never had any issues or said anything about how often I come in... I'm not sure what type of oil they use on my car, but it must be some premium stuff if it keeps it running so well for such a long time...well, if that IS indeed considered to be a long time..

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
You should change it more often than 7500 mile intervals. It's typically every 3000. Have you checked the condition of the oil yourself at each oil change?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I usually go about 7500 miles before I get my oil changed... Is that bad? I always go to the same place (Valley Toyota), because they give me good discounts and fast service, and they've never had any issues or said anything about how often I come in... I'm not sure what type of oil they use on my car, but it must be some premium stuff if it keeps it running so well for such a long time...well, if that IS indeed considered to be a long time..
The type of driving you do has as much to do with when you need to change the oil, as the number of miles. If most of your driving involves highway driving where the engine is fully warmed up each trip, you can go alot more miles between oil changes than the guy who does more 2 to 3 mile trips at a time. Use the guidelines outlined in your owners manual as a good estimate for your particular situation.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
the car burns about a quart of oil every 1.5k so i don't think synthetic will hold up to it. the car wasn't abused, it just burns oil...

i'm planning on rebuilding the engine after graduation (in about 2 years) always wanted to learn how to rebuild an engine, i figured 1zz-fe would be an easy one to start with.

i will switch to synthetic after the rebuild. right now i'm just looking for something that won't cost me a lot without doing damage to the engine

I think you are fine using dino oil but maybe misinformed about synthetic. If you were LEAKING oil you might not want to use it because the impurities floating around in dino oil tend to clog up old deteriorated gastkets and help keep them from leaking.

If you are BURNING oil then Synthetic would be better. One of the big points about it is the ability to withstand much higher temps without breaking down. Again I don't think you need to use synthetic but don't not use it becasue you are buring oil. The best reason not to use it is 5$ a quart, that seals the deal for many in this economy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
who in their right mind pays 5$ a qt. for syntheic oil??? buy it in the gallon jugs @ k-mart or something and the price is around 3.25 a qt.

·
uʍop-ǝpısdn
1,917 Posts
Because it's quality synthetic which runs smoother than conventional and lasts a lot longer. I never buy oil from a place that also sells diapers. lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts