Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this question not out of ignorance but of necessity. My girlfriend recently bought an 04' 4Runner and I am taking it upon myself to do it's first 5K oil change this weekend. I have never seen the engine bay or underneath the engine so I'm rather flying blind here. My question is whether there is anything particularly unusual about changing the oil in a 6cyl. 4Runner? (is synthetic oil mandatory as it is in my FurherWagen, and is 5w-30 the correct weight?, Am I gonna need jackstands?, does the drain plug have a crush washer that'll need replacing, Are OE oil filters necessarily better than aftermarket? Am I leaving anything out? Much Thanks

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
You'll probably need to drop the skid plate that's right under her Runner. The filter may be a bitch to get off though, but you should be able to. If you you are having trouble (I'm not sure if this will work on newer Runners), turn the wheels to the left and go through the wheel well on the driver's side and you should be able to get a hold of it that way.

Synth isn't mandatory, but it wouldn't hurt to protect her investment. 5-30 should be just fine and no, you won't need to use jackstands. You can just slide under there and do all the work. I would stick with OEM filters, but if you get aftermarket ones I would go with Mobil 1, Amsoil, Napa Gold or Purolator PureOne, but whatever you do don't get Fram. And yes, there is a crush washer that will need to be replaced after each oil change that you can get from the Stealer for a few cents.

That should cover it. I would also suggest you head on over to www.yotatech.com because there are a bunch of guys there with mostly Runners there and can give you some great advice there without all the unnecessary flaming and banter. A great group of guys and gals too.

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
redfox435cat said:
what wrong with a fram?
Bad anti-drainback valve and cheap filtering media just to name a few. You get what you pay for. Just pay the extra $2 and get yourself a quality filter like Mobil 1, Purolator PureOne or Napa Gold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts