Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did an oil change on my mom's 2015 Corolla for the first time today. Previously, she had always had the dealer do it, or most recently, an independent mechanic. However, during the oil change, I noticed a few things:

1) I didn't see an oil drain plug gasket on my mom's car. Is that normal? And does it need one?

2) Oil filter retainer clip: Does this clip actually need to be taken off in order to get the housing off? I was actually able to get the filter housing off without taking the clip off, because I was having a hard time with the clip.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Q1: Not normal. Toyota recommends it and you should use one. Toyota Part 90430-12031.

Q2: Assumption is you have the filter element cannister set up and not the spin off filter. If so, the clip doesn't need to be removed as a proper wrench will move it off to the side automatically. However, I have found that clip to be useless and threw it away. I had a 2010 Camry with the same set up an no clip and the 16 Corolla with the clip. There is no way on Earth that the cannister will ever back off without it.

Get yourself some drain plug gaskets.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,321 Posts
Did an oil change on my mom's 2015 Corolla for the first time today. Previously, she had always had the dealer do it, or most recently, an independent mechanic. However, during the oil change, I noticed a few things:

1) I didn't see an oil drain plug gasket on my mom's car. Is that normal? And does it need one?

2) Oil filter retainer clip: Does this clip actually need to be taken off in order to get the housing off? I was actually able to get the filter housing off without taking the clip off, because I was having a hard time with the clip.

Thanks in advance!
1. Yes, it should have a gasket. I install a new one every time. Make sure it didn't get stuck to the oil pan as that happens a lot. If that happens I use a flathead screwdriver to pop it off. My dealer includes a new washer gasket with every oil filter I buy.

2. On the canister type, you are okay and it doesn't have to come off. Just make sure that you install the correct oil filter cap to remove the canister.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts