Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 Corolla LE. Isn’t the recommended oil change every 10,000 miles? I know it’s 0W20. Some oil change places I’ve been to have said to do it every 5,000 and some say every 7,500. I do drive a ton and my car already has almost 98,000 miles on it. I live in Pittsburgh Pa so it’s a lot of hills as well as city, country, and highway driving so I wonder if I should do it more often or if every 10,000 is ok?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Severe service cuts interval to 5000 miles

Use some common sense for your driving style, road conditions, local weather, and planned life of vehicle.

Many will run out of oil before 10k miles. Check oil level regularly and top off as needed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drive a ton and my car already has almost 98,000 miles on it. I live in Pittsburgh Pa so it’s a lot of hills as well as city, country, and highway driving so I wonder if I should do every 5,000 then?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I drive a ton and my car already has almost 98,000 miles on it. I live in Pittsburgh Pa so it’s a lot of hills as well as city, country, and highway driving so I wonder if I should do every 5,000 then?
if you have a quality full synthetic oil and filter, like mobil 1 full synthetic and wix XP filter, there is no need to change it before 10k miles. even with the driving you do. the driving that kills oil is starting your car and driving 2 miles to work and then 2 miles home and your engine never gets a chance to warm up.

·
Read Only
3,920 Posts
If you can afford to change your oil more often than once every 10,000 miles, then split the difference and do it every 7500 miles. It's not really worth spending so much time worrying about.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,921 Posts
  • 5000 miles
    • Plenty of oil should still be in the engine
  • 7500 miles
    • There should be plenty of oil
  • 10,000 miles
    • There might be less oil
  • 15,000 miles
    • I suspect oil loss
  • 20,000 miles
    • I sure hope there is oil
    • Oil?
I still believe you can't go wrong with a 5000 mile oil change, if you want to save money you can do 10,000 miles but for me I get peace of mind at 5000 miles.

·
Registered
375 Posts
  • 5000 miles
    • Plenty of oil should still be in the engine
  • 7500 miles
    • There should be plenty of oil
  • 10,000 miles
    • There might be less oil
  • 15,000 miles
    • I suspect oil loss
  • 20,000 miles
    • I sure hope there is oil
    • Oil?
I still believe you can't go wrong with a 5000 mile oil change, if you want to save money you can do 10,000 miles but for me I get peace of mind at 5000 miles.
running full synthetic in all my cars, and the toyotas rarely need any oil added over 10k miles. the saturns used oil from the start and will go through 1.5 -2 quarts in 10k miles. i've only had one toyota that kind of used a little oil and that was a 2000 echo, but the previous owner didn't use good oil ever in it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Some oil change places I’ve been to have said to do it every 5,000 and some say every 7,500.
Synthetic can go a long way vs mineral. But it both cases, it also has to do with driving conditions : urban stop and go traffic is hard on oil (among other things !), highway not so much. The fun part is that in Canada, Toyota's recommendation is 5K (because of winter, I guess). Can't go wrong with 5K intervals but 10K is in no way far fetched. Of course, oil places want to see you more often and they are often not the best place where to do it anyway...

Many will run out of oil before 10k miles. Check oil level regularly and top off as needed.
Good advice to check level regularly. But "out of oil" before 10K ? If so, car is having an issue...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Issues, everybody forgot about the Toyota oil burners, sludgemonsters, and startup rattlers already?

Oil is only as good as the driving pattern. I've seen conventional oil that was good at 50000 miles and synthetic oil trashed in 1000 miles. The term synthetic doesnt mean a thing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Issues, everybody forgot about the Toyota oil burners, sludgemonsters, and startup rattlers already?

Oil is only as good as the driving pattern. I've seen conventional oil that was good at 50000 miles and synthetic oil trashed in 1000 miles. The term synthetic doesnt mean a thing.
you have seen someone with conventional oil with 50,000 miles on that oil change and it was good? i have a hard time believing that. but i get what you are saying. maybe you meant 5000 miles for conventional oil. this seems more likely.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can an oil change place make it to where the maintenance required light goes off every 5,000 miles for an oil change or is it just set with the 2015 Corolla that it goes off at 10,000 miles for an oil change? Because I just compared my mileage from the last oil change to this one and I drove 5,300 miles and the light came on right at about 5,000 miles driven so didn’t know if that was a coincidence or what.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,921 Posts
Can an oil change place make it to where the maintenance required light goes off every 5,000 miles for an oil change or is it just set with the 2015 Corolla that it goes off at 10,000 miles for an oil change? Because I just compared my mileage from the last oil change to this one and I drove 5,300 miles and the light came on right at about 5,000 miles driven so didn’t know if that was a coincidence or what.
Assuming it is similar to an 08 Camry, the light will flash at about 4000 miles and will stay lit at 5000 miles. Dealership only most likely.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Bypass filtration is nothing new. Nothing wrong with conventional oil when engineering issues are addressed. Only fools think that synthetic is some end all to maintenance. It isnt.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bypass filtration is nothing new. Nothing wrong with conventional oil when engineering issues are addressed. Only fools think that synthetic is some end all to maintenance. It isnt.
ok i can see that. some of these cars have a cassette filter and i haven't seen a bypass filter setup for that type setup.

i don't know how to take your comment "only fools think.... some end to all maint" synthetic is one piece of maint for a vehicle. i'll buy synthetic oil and stand by it. Ive torn engines down and micro metered the parts after over a 100k miles using mobile one synthetic and all parts were exactly within new manufacture specs. i haven't seen that with engines that used conventional oil. There have been many tests done also show that synthetic oil is superior over conventional and i am NOT an amzoil or synthetic oil distributor...

but i assume there has been a lengthy argument on another thread on this chat board about conventional vs synthetic and i'm not interested in an argument about it. everyone is entitled to their own experience and opinions. its one of the reasons why we have a chat board is so people can express their opinions and experience and have value added discussions about it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Issues, everybody forgot about the Toyota oil burners, sludgemonsters, and startup rattlers already? Oil is only as good as the driving pattern. I've seen conventional oil that was good at 50000 miles and synthetic oil trashed in 1000 miles. The term synthetic doesnt mean a thing.
That’s the point: those car had issues (badly designed piston rings), whatever the type of oil used. I’m not aware that our 11th gen Corolla are affected with this old problem. At least my unit is OK.

If, by your example, you mean that depending on driving conditions, mineral oil could go a long way and synthetic not so much, I agree. If by “synthetic doesn’t mean a thing” you argue that both are the same, they aren’t. Synthetic is indeed basically mineral oil but modified.

All other things being equals, chances are that your good mineral oil at 50K (really?) would still be in better shape if it were synthetic and that your 1K trashed synthetic would have been trashed even before has it been mineral.

But that's beside the point. Synthetic has its advantages. One of the things being maintaining viscosity on a broader temperature range. Living in the land of winter, I can assure you that it does make a big difference on sub-zero start-up. ;)

Only fools think that synthetic is some end all to maintenance
Indeed. Who says so?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,861 Posts

Most of these Toyota oil issues could have been prevented by using synthetic oil and a 5k mile OCI.

I've never seen or heard of conventional oil lasting 50k miles and testing okay. The additive package would have long been gone and the engine destroyed. I had over 300k miles on my 82 Tercel and when I swapped in a 4AG I tore the engine apart and the internal parts were still within new spec. I ran Mobil 1 for the life of that car. Synthetic does mean something and it's better in every way but you still have to change it out regularly. Flow rates in cold weather are much better than conventional oil and since most engine wear occurs on cold engine start they can be very beneficial.

Reactions: Vangm25

·
Registered
375 Posts
Most of these Toyota oil issues could have been prevented by using synthetic oil and a 5k mile OCI.

I've never seen or heard of conventional oil lasting 50k miles and testing okay. The additive package would have long been gone and the engine destroyed. I had over 300k miles on my 82 Tercel and when I swapped in a 4AG I tore the engine apart and the internal parts were still within new spec. I ran Mobil 1 for the life of that car. Synthetic does mean something and it's better in every way but you still have to change it out regularly. Flow rates in cold weather are much better than conventional oil and since most engine wear occurs on cold engine start they can be very beneficial.
your car came with synthetic oil in it, which is why the recommended change interval is 10k. i would never go 10k miles on regular oil. and yes you are correct not all synthetics are created equal. mobil 1 and amzoil are the only two i know of that start with a synthetic base. there is a ton of info out there on google if anyone wants to search about synthetics and such. super these comments aren't directed toward you, just generally speaking. i love mobil 1.. its great

1 - 20 of 30 Posts