Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every since i got the car Ive been doing my oil change at the dealer using a coupons they have. the dealer is closed. i do have a local mechanic i used to deal with. not sure what oil they use by can anyone recommed oil i can buy and take for them to change or can i go a little long with my oil change. the light comes on at 5000 miles.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
every since i got the car Ive been doing my oil change at the dealer using a coupons they have. the dealer is closed. i do have a local mechanic i used to deal with. not sure what oil they use by can anyone recommed oil i can buy and take for them to change or can i go a little long with my oil change. the light comes on at 5000 miles.
thanks in advance.
The light comes on every 5000 miles for service, but the oil change interval is 10,000 miles. The tires are supposed to be rotated every 5000 miles, but I would not worry about that if the dealer is closed.

If you have gone 10,000 miles since last oil change, you can look at the Owner's Manual or Warranty and Maintenance Guide for your vehicle for the correct viscosity of oil to use. Since you didn't list your model year and engine, I can't provide that information to you.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,016 Posts
If you have gone 10,000 miles since last oil change, you can look at the Owner's Manual or Warranty and Maintenance Guide for your vehicle for the correct viscosity of oil to use.
my fault. 2015 xse 4 cycl 25,000 miles
Great, another that can’t be bothered to read even one page of the owners manual.

·
Registered
267 Posts
lmfao on the 10k oci recommendation! change your oil every 5-7.5k.
10k of mostly fwy miles in light traffic over a 10-month period, no problem for the synthetic oil.

But irregular driving, including short trips where the oil becomes somewhat heavy with precipitated moisture and left to sit, sludge can and will form.
I saw this inside of the oil filter housing on my 2015 Camry having only 22k miles. The car had impeccable service records indicating <5k maintenance (including synthetic oil changes), but suffered some of that "irregular" driving and intermittent periods of sitting unused over the 7.5k miles that were on the oil that I changed out eight months after I bought the car with only 18k miles on the clock.
It's a very good thing how these car's oil filter housing can be inspected inside for a sludge layer, unlike with traditional canister oil filters. The sludge was not visible at the oil fill cap at all, and the synthetic 0W20 oil still had a very clear, clean appearance on the dipstick even after that 7500 miles! Yet there was sludge(!), appearing as a thin layer of soft greyish "paint" inside of the filter housing.

Driving conditions vary a lot, so drivers need to consider all of the possible factors that can shorten the service interval (miles and months) of their car's oil!

·
Registered
355 Posts
The easy way is to pick up a jug of Mobil 1 0W-20 at your local Walmart or similar.
You can get it in AFE (Advanced Fuel Economy) or EP. Either will work just fine.
As for a filter, from the Walmart selection, The FRAM XG9972 "Ultra Synthetic" cartridge filter should be a good choice.

You will find MANY opinions on brands of oil/filters and how often to change your oil....
There are other fine choices, but this is what I would use if I were changing my own oil again.
I have been "lazy" with my 2016 and had a dealer do it......and have been happy with them.....

Your owner's manual also has instructions on how to reset the mileage counter that turns the service light on (not to be confused with Check Engine Light).

·
Registered
69 Posts
i was doing 7.5k on mobil 1 extended performance..but i have since backed it down to 5k on regular..i use the napa platinum filter 47047

·
Registered
2017 Camry SE
116 Posts
I use Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 EP oil filter every 10k, and it works well. If you’re concerned about driving that much between OCI, be sure to use a good oil filter rated for longer intervals!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts