Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Echo Girl, Living in Ontario in the winter I would change it mid winter or so if you don't drive it very often. This is because of condensation adds water to the engines oil. If you don’t drive very often or very far the car does not get hot enough to evaporate this water out of the oil. Oil has a cream color top and loves to sit in your valve train area. If you do some longer drives with some stop and go and highway I would only change when needed. Oils are getting better, engines are getting better, drivers are getting worse! :cool: Pulll the dip stick and look at the oil before you start your drive. Does it still have a brown tint (will be dark due to new oils cleaning properties). If you cant tell wipe some on a white rag and see if you can tell. Any bad smell it should be changed. We have a grain truck with 450k miles and only change the oil when needed. Not every 6 months and as you can see with the miles it seems to be working out just fine. It is stored in a shed in Wisconsin and only driven in the Spring and Fall.

Hope this helps. When in doupt I would change mid winter and every ~ 5k miles to be on the safe side.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
oil is the life blood of your car....do not neglect this simple procedure....change your oil in regular intervals.....do not listen to manufacturers claims that cars can go so many XXXX kms before changing oil....of course they want you to follow their schedule so that in the long run the car will end up breaking down and of course the dealer can fix it for you.....i would keep ur oil change intervals at around 4000-5000 km each time.....

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
I don't have the conversion on hand, but every 3000miles is good. I personally do it every 1,500 miles. Maybe that's why I'm at 200,780 miles :D

·
Registered
81 tercel
100 Posts
i have an 81 tercel and it has 234987 miles on it and it still runs like a champ i also change the oil every two months

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
I got 324,000km on my car.. I do my oil changes around 6000km or so, I drive about 750km a week. My car still runs strong and problem free even after I went longer than suggested because of having no time to get one done. :lol: well.. I guess driving on the highway all the time makes a big difference.
Most manufacturers suggest intervals of 5000miles which is about 9000km but of course everyone in Canada does their oil at around 5000km because somewhere along the line someone changed the Mi into KM to make money. :lol:

·
F'ing 3sgte swap ARGH!!!!
Celica 6th Gen Convt
808 Posts
hmm.. i find that different countries places different standards on oil changes... say in the states, it was recomended at 3000 miles, and back from where i come from, singapore, the recomended is at 10000km, which is ard 6500 miles or so.

the difference is more than doubled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts