Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
235,000 miles on a 4 cylinder Camry? And you are concerned about 1 qt every 2,000 miles? How many operating hours is that about 7000H? Don't worry about it, just keep the oil level within range.

Engineer talking point: those moving parts have undergone millions of revolutions, and hundreds of heat cycles : there will be a non-zero amount of wear on the rings, valve stems, seals and cylinder walls.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
235,000 miles on a 4 cylinder Camry? And you are concerned about 1 qt every 2,000 miles? How many operating hours is that about 7000H? Don't worry about it, just keep the oil level within range.

Engineer talking point: those moving parts have undergone millions of revolutions, and hundreds of heat cycles : there will be a non-zero amount of wear on the rings, valve stems, seals and cylinder walls.
I generally agree with you.

But in this case the car was purchased used, and thread starter said "it never used oil" with conventional oil changes. After switching to synthetic, it started to use some oil. My recommendation was to increase the viscosity if he wanted to continue using synthetic oil.

·
2014 Highlander Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I didn't realize the Indianapolis one had problems too. I know the Kentucky ones had a lot of problems. I think it's one of the reasons that even though Honda and Toyota both have good reputations for reliability, Honda has a better reputation than Toyota for specifically engines.
CORRECTION: I tried two other VIN decoder sites, Toyota's simply said "United States" but another gave me the actual plant codes for that digit, and mine is listed as being from Lafeyette, IN. Not sure if that is same as "Indianapolis" assembly plant? Regardless, not Kentucky plant...

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
CORRECTION: I tried two other VIN decoder sites, Toyota's simply said "United States" but another gave me the actual plant codes for that digit, and mine is listed as being from Lafeyette, IN. Not sure if that is same as "Indianapolis" assembly plant? Regardless, not Kentucky plant...
Doesn't it matter where the engine was built, rather than final assembly? I know some assembly plants also had engine plants at same location, but maybe not all of them.

·
2014 Highlander Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

no argument with the physics; :) . I'm just spoiled! Even my '97 Chrysler mini-van and '96 Pontiac Bonneville had 250,000 miles before rusting out, and I never had to even check oil between changes; was never even half-way down from full.... (Now, don't get me started on the OTHER electronics problems with that or current Chrysler van! Notice I have all purchased all Toyotas since the '09 mini-van, and will never buy a Chrysler, at least, again!). But not 'worried' about the Camry's oil use, just would LIKE it to be better, and in my nature to be curious if change to synthetic is "THE" reason, or if coincidental and related more to frequent starts/short-trips vs the long highway miles use before I bought it. AND, if any relationship to the infamous piston/ring problems of this batch of engines... She'll obviously run a lot more miles even if a bit of oil use!! Simply anal. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
sometimes trying to solve one problem creates a bigger one....

If I couldnt sleep at night, then I'd go 5W-30 use high mileage oil with one of those additives....designed to swell the valve stem seals

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I recently purchased a 2009 Camry XLE (4 cylinder) from a good friend at work. It has 235,000 miles on it, BUT, I remember when she bought it new, and know that virtually EVERY MILE is her 120 mile round-trip commute between Menomonie WI and St.Paul on I-94 every day. So ALL freeway miles, and looks/runs like new. She took it into Toyota dealer for EVERY oil change (recorded on CarFax also), only changed ~every 7000 miles and NOT synthetic. Wasn't thrilled with THAT, BUT it never used oil, even though from "that group of cars" that had the oil (ring?) issues. Figured if it didn't use oil after 230k miles (and they didn't have to fill between 7k oil changes!), it was a safe bet.
OK, refreshing the car for my daughter and changing/flushing ALL fluids, I switched to Mobil-1 "Hi-mileage" synthetic, but still the 5W-20 Toyota specifies. I was disappointed this spring/summer that it took about a quart over 2,000 miles. Granted, synthetic AND daughter drove ~15 miles to work from school, vs 120 freeway miles each day. But I'm wondering how much is due to synthetic, and how much to 'short trips/cold-starts'.... And, would I be better off going back to 5W-20 conventional oil, or try going up to 10W-30 Mobil-1 perhaps? Anyone have experience with this situation? Thanks!!!
My 2009 XLE 2.4L was bought new and now has only 116,000 miles. I've never had an oil leak issue. The first oil was OEM 0W20 synthetic and after that I changed it at every 5,000 miles with 5W20 conventional and a filter. I recently had a garage change the oil with 0W20 synthetic. This car has been used mostly for long distance travel and very little city type traffic. I still have not had an oil leak.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
My 2009 XLE 2.4L was bought new and now has only 116,000 miles. I've never had an oil leak issue. The first oil was OEM 0W20 synthetic and after that I changed it at every 5,000 miles with 5W20 conventional and a filter. I recently had a garage change the oil with 0W20 synthetic. This car has been used mostly for long distance travel and very little city type traffic. I still have not had an oil leak.
No oil leak, oil burn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had 2001 Corolla CE that burned a quart of oil every 600 miles no oil leak. I kept added oil to it almost every week. I did this to resolve the burning oil problem.
1. Before oil changed, added a quart of Gunk engine clean and started engine and ran for 10 minutes.
2. Drained the oil, it looked very dirty from all those grudge came out of the engine.
3. Removed and replaced oil filter.
4. Added new oil and check month later it's still same level. This process worked for me and I hope it works for you and solve your oil burning issue... Cheers!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
One more but only remotely relevant data point:

Bought a 1988 Isuzu P/U new.
4-cyl, 5-speed, carburetor, now with 172k miles (all highway).

Burned a quarter-quart every 500 miles since new (slightly more now, but only because freeway speeds are higher).

This 2.3l engine spins 3k RPM at 65mph, which is really roaring!

Oil changes every 5k using standard 10-30.

Never failed a smog-check.

Most reliable and cheapest to maintain vehicle I've owned, so hoping my '15 Camry can do as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
According to Toyota, excessive consumption is only if it exceeds 1 qrt per 1200 miles.
You have no case with Toyota.
You have 2 options. Well, maybe 3.
1. keep adding oil
2. replace pistons and rings with updated ones that have larger oil holes and new rings, designed to prevent oil caking.
3. aggressively Seafoam engine oil. Hoping, that it will open oil passages, de crud rings and prevent oil blow by burn out.
Selected engines of those years were known for excessive oil consumption due to poor piston/rings design. My 07 failed test and had engine ovehauled under warranty extension. That stopped oil burn out completely.
Ima gonna go with urkoz on this one. Some of the replies here are way too deep into technicalities that are not going to make that much difference in RL (real life). Some difference, ok - a little.
My old Camry (95) used a quart every 2500 miles for over 20 years. When I finally switched to hi-mileage formula, the usage went down. But that isn't what is important.

What IS important is how much the oil usage is increasing. If your vehicle uses oil, and you want to try a change? Well, then do it! Change your oil on a 3k mile sked, and just do it! I say do NOT go with the extended oil change intervals. Those are good for the new car sellers and the mechanics. If you change your oil frequently, you can try something different, without worrying about seizing the engine.

If your oil usage is stable, or only increasing VERY slowly, then you have no worries. If you go 20-40k miles, and the oil usage increases (time after time), your engine is getting set to go. That's just plain simple mechanical "common sense".

Good luck!

·
2014 Highlander Limited
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ima gonna go with urkoz on this one. Some of the replies here are way too deep into technicalities that are not going to make that much difference in RL (real life). Some difference, ok - a little.
My old Camry (95) used a quart every 2500 miles for over 20 years. When I finally switched to hi-mileage formula, the usage went down. But that isn't what is important.

What IS important is how much the oil usage is increasing. If your vehicle uses oil, and you want to try a change? Well, then do it! Change your oil on a 3k mile sked, and just do it! I say do NOT go with the extended oil change intervals. Those are good for the new car sellers and the mechanics. If you change your oil frequently, you can try something different, without worrying about seizing the engine.

If your oil usage is stable, or only increasing VERY slowly, then you have no worries. If you go 20-40k miles, and the oil usage increases (time after time), your engine is getting set to go. That's just plain simple mechanical "common sense".

Good luck!
Couldn't agree more! I changed my oil every 3000 miles since I was a teenager ('63 Chevy!) and got 285,000 and 265,000 out of a Chrysler and Pontiac mind you, before synthetic oil was as popular. Now w/ synthetic, I change every 5000 miles; and every time I mention that to the Toyota service guys (bring my vehicles in for tire rotation nowdays), they look both ways and practically whisper "yeah, I do too, 10,000 miles is just too long, especially for the filter...". Maybe, maybe not, but sure cheap insurance. Re: my Camry's oil use, the ONLY reason it bothers me is because it CHANGED, (after 235,000 miles), but as said many times in this post, very likely because the DRIVING pattern has changed. I like the idea of "Gunk-ing" the engine (in addition to my tried-and-true SeaFoam habit) before next oil change, and then also putting in heavier weight oil. 'Nuff said on this topic; didn't see that other 'permanent link' before, thanks for posting, and yes I should have gone there first!!! Thanks all!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts