Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a 97 4Runner and I just changed the oil everything was running well and after I got home from about a 25 mile drive I noticed under my mat on the passenger side was soaked with oil (I think) it looked like dark oil. Only thing is I checked the dip stick and I have plenty of oil and the oil is very clean what could this be? My ac is working fine I did notice that the floor board on both sides were pretty hot.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Maybe coolant from the heater core?
Does it smell sweet?

·
1990 Toyota Corolla Wagon
248 Posts
Check your radiator fluid level. It might not look low, but it should be all the way to the top where the cap is. You can pour distilled water in to see how low it really is(can get from any grocery store for about $1 a gallon). The radiator is quite big, so even if it looks kinda full, it may still end up being a few pints low, if it's leaking. Also, you can get a whiff of the coolant and compare to the smell of the liquid inside.

I found a how to on another forum with really nice pictures:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/124887-heater-core-removal.html

He did it without removing the AC evaporator, so no losing your AC!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I checked the radiator and its full (almost over flowing full) I took the carpet it up and saw some excess liquid on the floor but no cause in site. maybe the guy Bought it from spilled some anti freeze a long time ago and the heat made it rise from the carpet? I'm going to clean it really well and then see if it happens again...

·
1990 Toyota Corolla Wagon
248 Posts
So I checked the radiator and its full (almost over flowing full)
That's exactly what you want to see.

Do you get a puddle of water under the car with the AC on?

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe your AC evaporator drain is blocked and the only other way for the water to escape is to run through the heater core and then out onto the floor? (I've actually never seen this. just speculation). Usually it'll come out super cold and won't really smell of anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts