Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 access 2wd
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried my Pela oil extractor on our 2.7 L Taco. It worked fine. Hardly any oil came out when the drain plug was removed. From here out, I'll just suck it all out.

Too bad Toyota doesn't follow the lead of Benz ('bout 30 years now), Chevy and VW and put the oil filter up top where one only removes the top of the container for the sock filter. Going underneath for an oil filter is cave man kind of stuff. On our 1996 Taco, I could get to the oil filter from the right fender, leaning in. This 2005 monster is too tall for that.

·
Slightly Insane
888 Posts
I'm assuming that the 2.7 must be different than the 4.0 cause my oil filter is up top??

·
Completely Numb
TRD Sport
824 Posts
I'm assuming that the 2.7 must be different than the 4.0 cause my oil filter is up top??
Bingo. The 4.0's have the oil filter on top. I'm 6'0 and have no problems reaching it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wonder if an oil extractor gets all the oil out on the 4.0? That would be the best of both worlds. From the shape of the oil pan, I'm thinking I'll be crawling under it for now.

·
TexasJiminSTX
2005 Tacoma 2WD
213 Posts
Having had inboard diesel engines and generators in boats, I've had to suck oil out of dipstick tubes, other types of suction tubes, and such, so I'm glad to be able to get under my truck and drain the oil into a catch pan! I like to watch what's coming out, look for "chunks" and variations in the viscosity of the oil. I also know that I have gotten almost all the used oil out of the engine. Sucking the oil out with a vacuum or siphon pump doesn't let me look at the used oil.

The filter location on the 2.7 I-4 is a pain, and I always drip a lot of oil on the control arms and everything else nearby. My filter was on so tight from the factory, I had to go thru three different filter wrenches before I got it off! I think the next time I buy a filter, I'll make sure it has a nut welded on the bottom,so I can get it off with a socket.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
48 Posts
The oil extractor I have will satisfy all your desires regarding seeing the oil viscosity, lumps, etc., because you pour it from the extractor straight into whatever you take the used oil to the recycler in, plus the extractor is clear. The main issue I have with it is whether it will get as much oil out.

The oil filter location on the 1st generation Taco V6 wasn't very good, either, though it sounds better than the 2.7's. You can use an artfully shaped piece of aluminum foil to protect what's below the filter mount and direct the flow to your catch pan, but it's still a PITA. At least there's no clean-up afterward and your control arms won't collect dirt from the oil film.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I too have used an oil extractor on a boat. On a 4x4 truck, this seems like a solution to a problem that does not exist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts