Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry V6 XLE
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I always been doing oil change myself and used fram Oil filter and I have a question about the size of the filter, I usually buy the FRAM PH 4967 Oil filter, but was sold out at the store I was at and the guy said the PH4386 would fit.

I know the person working at the store should know what they are talking about buy I want to make sure with someone's experience here and if you know the difference between it and which one is better?

thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1998 Toyota Camry
495 Posts
Nah there's no reason to assume the person at the store knows what they are talking about. Most auto parts stores have the wrong kind of fluid for Ranger/Mazda B-series manual transmissions listed. They take ATF but auto parts stores have it listed as motor oil that you're supposed to use. Long story short don't just take their word for it.

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry V6 XLE
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why not cross reference it yourself online?

I never thought of that before post, how dumb am I :facepalm:.:headbang: .... Thanks for the advice bitter. (thanks to BoyYota also for the advice)

I checked their site and for my 1996 corolla is a 4967 for the fram ... I guess I have to return :thumbsdow ....

·
Registered
609 Posts
IDK if that particular one will fit, but an easy way to find out is to put them face to face and see if the gaskets are the same size (i.e. gasket to gasket). IF the gaskets are the same size you can use it. It's a passive unit and so long as the gasket fits nothing will come out. I used a PH8A (small block ford) filter on my diesel rabbit for the entire time I had it. I never had the recommended filter on it - don't even know what was called for. I used the PH8A because it was larger... and the gaskets were the same size.

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
Dump the Fram! If you go searching around you'll find examinations of filters finding the fram at the bottom of the list in quality. Purolator is easy to find and much better quality.

Years ago I snagged a paper catalog from the hands of a NAPA guy and found specs for filters and found a few matches on stuff I used but larger cans. I'm sure you can find the same. Since my car is just a DD I'm happy with the one in the book.

-SP

·
Registered
'03 Sequoia
416 Posts
The larger is often nicer for the increased filter area and fluid capacity BUT you need to make sure the bypass valves also have the correct pressure settings in case something clogs.

That said I used the Fram filters for MANY years until all the associated blogs about the cardboard end caps coming apart, drain back issues, etc. :rolleyes: I cut one of my used ones open and it was totally distorted and had come separated so what was it REALLY filtering. That was with religious 3k changes not extended use. Opened my eyes at least.

I switched back to the factory filter. Only THEN did I realize that my car was noisey with a little valve clatter on start up while I was using the Frams. Once I switched to factory that noise disappeared as the filter prevented oil from draining out of it while it sat overnight etc. Try a factory one next time and experience for yourself.

If you search the net you'll find MANY threads about who cut filters apart, what they found, how many pleats, bypass valves, and different filter media used. Go BITOG and read away also. The Purolator PureOne filters and Mobil1 always got good reports but not as much for the "regular" Purolators. Amsoil EAO is supposedly awesome but of course $$ and harder to get. I now pretty much stick with factory or M1 after reading from engineer reports on the actual filter media used for different filters.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,244 Posts
Good to see that Ryco got a decent write-up in that link, they're basically the standard non-factory air/oil/fuel filter here, and along with Valvoline are the only ones readily available in all parts stores - some places might have the odd Purolator or Fram, but they're rare and usually don't carry much stock or a large range, so the choice for most of us is either Genuine Toyota or Ryco.

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Good to see that Ryco got a decent write-up in that link, they're basically the standard non-factory air/oil/fuel filter here, and along with Valvoline are the only ones readily available in all parts stores - some places might have the odd Purolator or Fram, but they're rare and usually don't carry much stock or a large range, so the choice for most of us is either Genuine Toyota or Ryco.
Yeah I was surprised with the Ryco results too. That's all I ever buy now. I buy mine from Repco.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
2,244 Posts
Yeah I was surprised with the Ryco results too. That's all I ever buy now. I buy mine from Repco.
Pity about the issues they had with the Z386 over the last year or so, scared a lot of people off them.

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
AC Delco was a very good quality filter and stocked in many stores, and then it disappeared. Purolator seems to be the best bang for the buck.

If you go digging around you can find a $1.50 rebate for them. Sorry the URL wasnt on the printout I have. Ends 30 October.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I use Purolator Pure Ones now, the only reason being I used to put on plain old Purolator, but you have to be careful not to get oil on your hands or it will be hard to get off. Wix are good too but pricey and have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
14,752 Posts
Valvoline filters are made by Champion labs I think

heres a good resource
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

·
Registered
09 Tacoma
731 Posts
Hi,

I always been doing oil change myself and used fram Oil filter and I have a question about the size of the filter, I usually buy the FRAM PH 4967 Oil filter, but was sold out at the store I was at and the guy said the PH4386 would fit.

I know the person working at the store should know what they are talking about buy I want to make sure with someone's experience here and if you know the difference between it and which one is better?

thanks,
Chris
Start buying Hastings filters. I've been using them for 200,000 miles, and my truck has 293,000 miles. Can't argue with success. High quality, made in USA, available at Rock Auto for 4 bucks and change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

thanks,
Chris
i always use the best quality filters available , for obvious reasons . a NAPA gold or wix filter is all i use . you should too .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts